PDA

View Full Version : Can a sky+ hdd be put into a vu+ duo

seanmckeown
24th April, 2012, 03:13 PM
If i was to take the HDD out of an old sky+ box could it be put into the vu+ duo as an internal hard drive?

and also, Can it be put into a hdd caddy and used as an external hard drive on the vu+ solo?

dell_xps
24th April, 2012, 04:21 PM
Think so m8, if its a sata hard drive then yes it can be installed into
a Vu, if it's an IDE hard drive you can fit that in a caddy and use it as an extrnal drive, or get an IDE to Sata converter, there on the bay for a few quid.
HTH

cactikid
24th April, 2012, 08:35 PM
treat the vu duo to a bigger hdd,i stuck a 1tb in it and already down half way,remember hd uses more.

RuberDuck
24th April, 2012, 08:54 PM
The drives you find in sky boxes are the best ones to use in the Duo or similar boxes as there specifically build for use in STB's and have a lower spin rate and use less power. you can usually get a decent sky+ HD box on ebay for around ?40 and just rip the drive out of that. however as pointed out the older boxes can have a ide drive instead of sata

the man
20th May, 2012, 02:07 PM
do you need to format 1st or will the vu+ sort it all out?

potrobber
21st May, 2012, 10:06 PM
just fit it in duo then initialize it from menu job done

the man
23rd May, 2012, 02:14 PM
it was hard getting out of the sly box
in the sly box it was upside down ? does it matter witch way they go in?

nimo
3rd June, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hi,

Iam actually using the harddrive from my previous sly HD+ box.
Yes, its a bit tedious to remove it but plug the harddrive the usual way in the Vu+duo then initialise the drive from the Vu's UI, then it will format it for you

I would also recommand something more than 500GB due to the size of HD recording, also if wanted, you could transfer the recorded files to an external harddrive, plugged to the box, so if you dont have a Harddrive of more than 500GB, you could do this as a workaround :)

Hope this helps

P.S: the size of the sly box's harddrive depend on its model, keep in mind that the new boxes have now 1TB ;)
VMedia, mine had 160GB..

Regards
Nimo