PDA

View Full Version : Army or College

garry1312
26th April, 2012, 03:15 AM
Right so I want to become a Draughtsman good money to be made in it.

Went to the college yesterday and was approached by the army recruitment, normally brush them off but was asked what I was interested in doing and thought give them a second at least so said Computer aided design, to which I was asked which career id be interested in following that to which I replied Draughtsman. Was told that I could be trained up as a design draughtsman while also getting a salary which would increase.

If I go to college i'm going to get a bursary which will be next to nothing if I go to the army I wont get a chance to spend the cash I earn until I am off.

My main concern is I have a wee boy who is one and a half which I see 3 and a half days a week. The other 3 and a half days I miss him like hell I really do so thinking about being away from him any longer than that seems unbearable. I also think though when I have time off I can spend a great amount of time with him and have built up cash to spend on him, put away for his future and so on as I wont be spending much on myself.

Also for awhile my head has been all over the place which I have made major changes recently and it might sound crazy but maybe some structure like the army would sort me out even more.

If it was you what would be your preference and why?

Canker_Canison
26th April, 2012, 11:44 AM
I'd go with college.

Your head isn't all there at the moment, the army basic training will stress you out no end. Also with your weight loss you could be putting a huge strain on your body.

If you go to college it will be at your own pace. Your boy will also be there to help motivate you. The money may be tight, but the army will always be there once you beat this.

Think of the army as the emergency back up plan. But only once you're through the worst of beating your demons.

garry1312
26th April, 2012, 11:52 AM
See whats putting me off the army is the time away from my boy :/ find it hard as hell 3 and a half days away from him.

Landlord was in the day first thing he said to me was you have lost weight he only seen me a fortnight ago lol.

cgscott
26th April, 2012, 11:58 AM
As ex forces and with your circumstances i would suggest maybe going into the army and doing the basic training. You still have the option to leave before passing out.

This will help with your problem and at the same time will build you up. You will come out a different person.

The downside is you dont get your first home leave till after 6 weeks of basic training so you wont be able to see your son. But if you look at the outcome after 12 weeks training i would say its a great option for you. And after all it is only 12 weeks. Not a lifetime.

I seen some guys who joined and didnt make it past the initial 3 weeks which is the toughest part as your body is pushed to the limits and the regime can be quite tiring but once you get through that physical and mental part the rest becomes normalitly.

As for joining the army as a career option unless you pass the initial iq test and have the option to join a regiment within the intelligance side of thing i dont think its a career to be honest.

I joined the transport regiment and left with all my HGV which i still use today but i look back and think some of the months spent in the army were a waste of time. Everything can be achieved out here that the army provide.

Although if you want to get sorted mentaly and also phisically then the basic traing is by far the best and quickest way to do this.

garry1312
26th April, 2012, 12:22 PM
Been speaking to a mate that was in the army his words also was go for it.

Thats also good to know that I can leave after the basic training if I wanted to as I always assumed once they had you signed up you were theres.

So maybe go with the mind set of the basic training and then see how it goes from there.

cgscott
26th April, 2012, 12:30 PM
You can leave before your pass out parade although they will try everything to keep you in but at end of day its your choice.

PS. I joined army at 16 9 1/2 stone and after 6 weeks was 11st 5

garry1312
26th April, 2012, 12:34 PM
and I would imagine that extra weight earned would not be bad weight lol

cgscott
26th April, 2012, 12:35 PM
and I would imagine that extra weight earned would not be bad weight lol

Certainly wasnt. Well oiled machine lol

garry1312
26th April, 2012, 12:55 PM
choices choices choices lol.

How long do you wait until you go away for your basic training mate?

cgscott
26th April, 2012, 01:33 PM
Probably be within a month or 2. This is the best time to get away. Summer training. Dont do it in the winter.

dctyper
26th April, 2012, 02:47 PM
2 birds one stone my friend. i went to the army apprentice college

dc

Snowy79
26th April, 2012, 10:22 PM
Your age, qualifications and choice of career will determine when your training starts and also if they have vacancies. Some of the technical Corps only run courses every 9 months and for these you have serious competition.

I spent 24 years in the mob and although I had a good laugh it's not all fun. Kiss goodby to a serious relationship as you will be going on operational tours etc.

Do research on the Units as there's a World of difference between the Infantry and the REME, Paras, Engineers etc. Each have their own way of doing things and looking after their lads/lassies. Be prepared for some serious to the extent of almost abusive piss taking. You will grow to love it and it will get you through a lot of shit. A couple of years in the Mob and you will realise things that you thought were a nightmare aren't really.

The best of luck in whatever you choose.

super jumbe
28th April, 2012, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by garry1312
If it was you what would be your preference and why?

Garry1312 you have left us in the dark as I am unable to give you direct answers.

I would like to ask you, have you got any qualifications in any subject?

:ciao:

:hello:

Larue
28th April, 2012, 07:15 PM
College only.....unless you can get in MOD some warm place where to wait for pension age. Otherwise forget about it.
I have been in army for about 10 years.
My sister last year came back from Iraq.....there is something to think about....just friendly advice.