PDA

View Full Version : New Ipod Touch 4G

toe471
26th April, 2012, 09:23 PM
I have just bought a new Ipod touch 4G from argos, set it all up in itunes and it said that it needed to update so therefore I let it do its thing but when it comes to the installing bit it just gives a error message?

I have had problems like this before with an older ipod but you expect better from a more updated ipod and itunes.

I did try the manual approach though by means of shift and hitting update then locating the downloaded file but it still wont do it?

Any ideas guys???

Current firmware is 5.0.1 and it wants to update to 5.1

teerak2uk
26th April, 2012, 11:09 PM
try putting it into dfu mode then do a restore

google dfu mode

toe471
27th April, 2012, 12:05 PM
Tryed the DFU mode a few times buddy but still brings up the error message, I even turned off my virus stuff as that can sometimes stop the update process? still nothing, it would be good if we could download an updating program other than itunes as its a big pain in the arse reallly!!

allycoops
27th April, 2012, 12:12 PM
Leave it on the firmware it is on at the moment as 5.01 can be jailbroken untethered and afaik 5.1.0 cant.

if you still want to update
Make sure you have the correct version of itunes installed if you want to do the 5.1.0 update. I downloaded new itunes from apple this morning and installed. Then had to update OTA to the latest version.

toe471
27th April, 2012, 03:01 PM
ok I will prob leave it the way it is then as im thinking of jailbreaking as ive never done it before, is it a good thing or a bad thing to do?

Whilst we are on the updating subject I also have a 3G ipod which went stupid last year and ive never really got to update it since, Again im stuck as this daft thing is just stuck in recovery mode, you try and update through itunes and no joy even manual, no joy. Tryed DFU mode god knows how many times and it just seems to bring you back to the recovery screen??

Im sure its an internal problem here tho. :help:

teerak2uk
27th April, 2012, 04:44 PM
ok I will prob leave it the way it is then as im thinking of jailbreaking as ive never done it before, is it a good thing or a bad thing to do?

Whilst we are on the updating subject I also have a 3G ipod which went stupid last year and ive never really got to update it since, Again im stuck as this daft thing is just stuck in recovery mode, you try and update through itunes and no joy even manual, no joy. Tryed DFU mode god knows how many times and it just seems to bring you back to the recovery screen??

Im sure its an internal problem here tho. :help:

Jailbreak is good if you like FREE apps ( everyone ) likes free stuff just google gsmhosting and check the apple section

toe471
29th April, 2012, 02:17 PM
May consider jailbreaking :)

Does any1 know of another prgram that will install firmware other than itunes as im getting nowhere with it?

Im still stuck on the recovery screen still, maybe theres programs out there that do jailbreaking all in ones kinda thing which will inject firmware as well?

teerak2uk
29th April, 2012, 03:27 PM
Jailbreak is good if you like FREE apps ( everyone ) likes free stuff just google gsmhosting and check the apple section

Where are you from ?

toe471
29th April, 2012, 03:50 PM
in the blackpool area!

teerak2uk
29th April, 2012, 03:58 PM
in the blackpool area!

Ok np too far from me

toe471
29th April, 2012, 04:14 PM
Do u know of anu other programs I could try buddy?

If its an internal fault may just sell it on as parts :(

teerak2uk
29th April, 2012, 05:46 PM
No all flashing done via iTunes

fijiman
29th April, 2012, 06:33 PM
iTunes gives an ERROR message if it fails...can't fix unless you state what error message iTunes showing...???:sheep:

mark82
29th April, 2012, 07:19 PM
Try getting battery doctore from the app store

Mark

DJAlucard
29th April, 2012, 07:47 PM
I used the latest redsn0w revision, make sure you have the iPod 4G iOS 5.0.1 IPSW file so it can patch the kernel, their are millions of tutorials on YT about how to Jailbreak it, im new here so i wont be posting links to said files/sites.

toe471
29th April, 2012, 09:36 PM
But can I somehow get the firmware back on using the redsnow program tho?

Through itunes it gets to the point where the screen flashes white them it gives the error code, not sure wat error code it is as ive not tryed it for a couple of weeks guys.

teerak2uk
29th April, 2012, 09:44 PM
But can I somehow get the firmware back on using the redsnow program tho?

Through itunes it gets to the point where the screen flashes white them it gives the error code, not sure wat error code it is as ive not tryed it for a couple of weeks guys.

No redsnow only patches maybe build a custom firmware with prog from oh8sn0w.com

toe471
30th April, 2012, 03:28 PM
Been trying to restore again guys but it gets stuck on the "waiting for ipod" bit and just gives me the error 6 message after 10mins or so?

Tryed this in DFU mode as well a few times

MaximusTrust
4th May, 2012, 09:21 AM
Hi to everyone! My Ipod Touch 4g after updating to 5.1 firmware working slower than on 5.0.1. What I should do?

MaximusTrust
4th May, 2012, 09:22 AM
Sorry for my English, I am from Russia

teerak2uk
4th May, 2012, 09:43 AM
Sorry for my English, I am from Russia

Put in dfu mode and restore