PDA

View Full Version : clone duo with no display

Bumsrus
27th April, 2012, 09:57 PM
guys am i going mad or just being very stupid. Trying to set up my duo by firstly flashing a vix image however , no messages appears on the display of my box. Come to think of it, i have not seen any writing on the display screen on the original pre loaded black hole image. Have i been sold a bad clone?

dell_xps
27th April, 2012, 10:16 PM
Probably a ribbon cable that come loose m8, sure someone mentioned to open box up and check all connections as they tend to
sometimes come not correctly fitted.
HTH

cactikid
27th April, 2012, 10:54 PM
yes i think digicon opens up all his boxes and rechecks his ribbons are secure as a lot of boxes get rough handling and is a common thing to unseat.

lincsat
28th April, 2012, 12:38 AM
May be that one or more of the pins have come off the board, they are not soldered very well. If you are careful you can re-solder them.

cactikid
28th April, 2012, 12:59 AM
pins come off the board?that somehow does not give you faith in that product.

digicon
28th April, 2012, 01:34 AM
Potrobber also opens his up to check all connections, I have noticed on some also that the display is a little lopsided sometimes and just needs a little gentle persuasion to get straight, Apart from that as soon as you boot up the Duo it should display Starting... in the screen

potrobber
28th April, 2012, 08:45 AM
i check every box now after finding a few with loose cable connections and most displays need a little push back up to get them to sit in the correct position

lincsat
28th April, 2012, 02:19 PM
pins come off the board?that somehow does not give you faith in that product.

Exactly, that is why I took the decision not to stock clone Duo's

Bumsrus
28th April, 2012, 02:34 PM
This clone is becoming the bane of my existence.

Checked the connectors internally and rebooted still nothing. Left it overnight unplugged and then bingo the display started to work. tried flashing boot and seemed to work as display asked me to unplug usb and reboot, then tried flashing vix image and display got stuck on "reading usb" for 15 minutes.

so i am now left with a shiny black box with a red l.e.d which does flicker when pressing buttons on remote but will not start up. iv tried flashing from usb port at the back but still no luck. Randomly the box starts to work if i leave it unplugged for a few hours, however can still not get past flashing an image.

dell_xps
28th April, 2012, 02:59 PM
Try a different usb stick m8, have you installed skype yet ?
If so pm yer name, cheers.

cactikid
28th April, 2012, 03:04 PM
i tried 3 usb sticks all faulty,maybe try another,has the box got the new kernel,if not and the new vix image is loaded it may brick.

potrobber
28th April, 2012, 03:49 PM
does this box have the v2 sticker on it or have you updated the kernel,as cactikid has said latest vix will as he says be no good for your box if update not done

Bumsrus
28th April, 2012, 03:58 PM
Yes had the v2 sticker so didn't need to update the kernel . Will go to the shops now and buy a new USB stick and give that a try

RuberDuck
28th April, 2012, 04:02 PM
even if it is a V2 it wont hurt to re-flash the v3 bootloader just to be safe.

potrobber
28th April, 2012, 04:03 PM
was blackhole image not on your box when it came and did you have it working with bh image before you tried to flash it?

Bumsrus
28th April, 2012, 04:17 PM
Hi rubber duck , yes flashed with newestbootloader before flashing the vix image, but that didn't work.

Potrobber , yes it was preloaded with blackhawks however had some issues with the tunners so decided to flash new image to see if that would help, but only hindered me as cant even get the box started

Bumsrus
28th April, 2012, 05:56 PM
nop , new usb not working :(

potrobber
28th April, 2012, 06:24 PM
when you switch box on with no usb stick in it does box boot up or how far does it go?

is this what you used to update box again
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f193/vu-duo-clone-3-1-1-kernel-update-255713/

m8 look on ferrari vu website there is a way of bringing bricked box back to life if you need to try it and also some more info

pm sent

potrobber
28th April, 2012, 06:37 PM
m8 i just read this thread again and when you say the part below tried flashing boot and removed usb

tried flashing boot and seemed to work as display asked me to unplug usb and reboot, then tried flashing vix image and display got stuck on "reading usb" for 15 minutes.

when you do the kernal update to 3.1.1 thru supplied null cable and ic chip you just load the image with usb stick after update and box works as should

what did you load from usb stick in the part above where you state tried flashing boot?

Bumsrus
28th April, 2012, 07:08 PM
the file i flashed to the receiver was : duo_cfe_3_0_usb
should i be flashing the 3.1.1 Kernel Update instead?

RuberDuck
28th April, 2012, 07:29 PM
the 3.1.1 kernel is part of the actual image so ne need to flash it separately.

potrobber
28th April, 2012, 07:29 PM
the file i flashed to the receiver was : duo_cfe_3_0_usb
should i be flashing the 3.1.1 Kernel Update instead?

the correct boot loader and kernal would have been on your box if it had v2 sticker and running black hole image

all you should have done was loaded the vu plus file with vix image to fat 32 usb stick and put in front of box turned on box and loaded image

Bumsrus
28th April, 2012, 07:36 PM
the correct boot loader and kernal would have been on your box if it had v2 sticker and running black hole image

all you should have done was loaded the vu plus file with vix image to fat 32 usb stick and put in front of box turned on box and loaded image

this is what i did but the box would not load so thats when i tried to flash this file: duo_cfe_3_0_usb which contains: cfe_cfe_auto

potrobber
28th April, 2012, 08:08 PM
can you get the box to come on and then do a factory reset?

then connect it to the null modem cable with ic chip and do the update i posted before then load new image

digicon
29th April, 2012, 01:00 AM
If you are really struggling then head over to ferrari forums as they have now uploaded some .nfi images which can be loaded via the RS232 port with the supplied lead.

Bumsrus
29th April, 2012, 10:04 PM
can anyone provide a link to the .nfi images in the ferrari forums pls

andy91
29th April, 2012, 10:06 PM
can anyone provide a link to the .nfi images in the ferrari forums pls

We cant go posting other forums details on here mate.
Register on their site and im sure someone will help you.

Andy.