PDA

View Full Version : Did I damage my lnb?

memons
29th April, 2012, 06:02 PM
Hi,
Can some one guide me please?
I have a motorized dish installed, which has quad lnb.
Last night I wanted to search some 33 satellites http://alsatforum.com/images/smilies/redface.png, it took around 8 hours to find some 4000+ channels.
- I have been using the dish on fixed 28.2 for year.
But now, if I switch to any channel, i just see the picture for few seconds and then it begins to break and it hangs.
I wonder, if i have screwed the lnb? I dont think there is problem with position, or I would not be able to switch in between various channels.
Please advice

cactikid
29th April, 2012, 06:09 PM
is it on the same sat or different sat,if on other sat is dish moving?sometimes you go to a new channel which has moved tp and picture freezes as no info on new selected channel.

ramjet
29th April, 2012, 06:27 PM
you wont damage an lnb scanning for channels

either you have bust the transponder or channel limits for your box , or the usals or diseqc v1.2 isnt spot on causing it to move off satellite

memons
29th April, 2012, 06:29 PM
is it on the same sat or different sat,if on other sat is dish moving?sometimes you go to a new channel which has moved tp and picture freezes as no info on new selected channel.
none of the sat is stable, neither old nor new.:viking:

ramjet
29th April, 2012, 06:40 PM
none of the sat is stable, neither old nor new.:viking:

not suprising in this weather !

check your usals and diseqc settings are correct and ensure your motor selects the best signal stop point

memons
29th April, 2012, 07:05 PM
not suprising in this weather !

check your usals and diseqc settings are correct and ensure your motor selects the best signal stop point
can i do it myself or do i need professional? if i can do how? please help..

memons
29th April, 2012, 07:07 PM
you wont damage an lnb scanning for channels

either you have bust the transponder or channel limits for your box , or the usals or diseqc v1.2 isnt spot on causing it to move off satellite
sorry newbie here, isn't bust the transponer same as damaging the lnb? thanks

ramjet
29th April, 2012, 07:33 PM
sorry newbie here, isn't bust the transponer same as damaging the lnb? thanks

no , transponders are what you tune into , and your box has a finite capacity for storage, so if you did a blind scan or full scan and exceeded those limits your box will behave strangely

the lnb sits on the end of the arm on your dish and can only be damaged by brute force or the weather or water or ice damage, so hitting the wall may damage it, or the sun or ice , but physical damage is what I mean , scanning from your box cannot damage it

memons
29th April, 2012, 07:41 PM
no , transponders are what you tune into , and your box has a finite capacity for storage, so if you did a blind scan or full scan and exceeded those limits your box will behave strangely

the lnb sits on the end of the arm on your dish and can only be damaged by brute force or the weather or water or ice damage, so hitting the wall may damage it, or the sun or ice , but physical damage is what I mean , scanning from your box cannot damage it
Thanks for the explaination.
I tried to reset the box. Tried to scan only one sat. 28.2
Now i have only sky channels in list. still picture goes in pixelation after few seconds - one speculation is, weather is very bad here today, may be the antena has moved a bit? do you think that is a possiblity?

ramjet
29th April, 2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the explaination.
I tried to reset the box. Tried to scan only one sat. 28.2
Now i have only sky channels in list. still picture goes in pixelation after few seconds - one speculation is, weather is very bad here today, may be the antena has moved a bit? do you think that is a possiblity?

a satellite system does not have an antenna , it has a dish with lnb

is it a motorised dish to get many satellites or is it a fixed dish on 28e ?

in post 1 you said it is motorised , so yes it could have moved due to the weather

or maybe your usals or diseqc settings are not setup correctly

Nutsandbolts
29th April, 2012, 09:08 PM
Hi memons. A couple of questions which may help to resolve the problem.
1) What box do you have?
2) When you did a reset did you do a factory reset?
3) Do you have a SAT button on remote to select satellites? If so do you have a list of satellites in it?. You said you scanned 33 satellites - where are they?
4) When you scanned 28.2 i take it this means that your motor and dish was pointing at 28.2. How many channels did it scan?.
Regards

memons
29th April, 2012, 10:25 PM
a satellite system does not have an antenna , it has a dish with lnb

is it a motorised dish to get many satellites or is it a fixed dish on 28e ?

in post 1 you said it is motorised , so yes it could have moved due to the weather

or maybe your usals or diseqc settings are not setup correctly
Sorry its Dish my bad!
yes it is motorized dish, i have never used it on motor for my vu+ duo box before.
Motorized functions were only used on technomate SD box.
I have been using it only for Sky channels on my vu+.

memons
29th April, 2012, 10:33 PM
Hi memons. A couple of questions which may help to resolve the problem.
1) What box do you have?
2) When you did a reset did you do a factory reset?
3) Do you have a SAT button on remote to select satellites? If so do you have a list of satellites in it?. You said you scanned 33 satellites - where are they?
4) When you scanned 28.2 i take it this means that your motor and dish was pointing at 28.2. How many channels did it scan?.
Regards
@Nutsandbolts
I used vu+ duo box. Where you can specify 33 sats in advanced configuration. Found 4000+ channels in 8 hours.
Fast wind was belowing last night, when I started scanning the sats. May be that caused dish to displace - or may be 8 hours of scanning, damaged lnb!!
Later, I flashed the box and scanned the channels on 28.2. Found around 900+ channels.
Now, I can switch to any sky channel, and view it. But, after few seconds, the picture being to break and pixelate.
Is it damanged lnb or displaced dish?
Thanks

ramjet
29th April, 2012, 11:02 PM
3 times you were told to check your usals or diseqc settings

3 times you have ignored that advice

so I wont be replying again

memons
29th April, 2012, 11:07 PM
3 times you were told to check your usals or diseqc settings

3 times you have ignored that advice

so I wont be replying again
@ramjet
Thanks, thanks thanks (three times).
I am newbie and have no idea what usals and diseqc should be!!
I left them to defualt when i ran scanning.

Nutsandbolts
30th April, 2012, 08:11 AM
Hi memons. I am not familiar with your box, i have a TM5400 but as you were able to find over 900 channels on 28.2 then it cannot be your LNB or dish. If you want to check that the dish is not loose then all you need to do is place a finger on the dish and see if its loose. I find it odd that you left the USALS settings as they were ie default and cannot find any other satellite. Have you tried to use the button to move the dish slightly left or right( ie fine tuning) to see if the picture improves?. On my receiver it is the blue button and by moving the dish slightly i am able to tell if dish is aligned properly ie if picture does not improve i know that alignment is out. For your info USALS is the automatic search of satellites and DISEQC or 1.2 is the manual search and storing of satellites. Have a go at moving the dish using 1.2 and see what you get. Regards.

ramjet
30th April, 2012, 09:13 AM
newbie or not, you have no excuses for not reading the vu section as you have been a member here long enough to find your way around

plenty of further info and tutorials are in the vu section here

and google has a wealth of info on usals and diseqc, as well as your instruction manual

default settings are unlikely to work unless you are on the greenwich meridian

Nutsandbolts
30th April, 2012, 09:52 AM
Hi ramjet good points. I always say that you should always read receiver manuals - it can help to resolve many problems that people have , not always of course but it helps. The point i made regarding the default settings for USALS is that if satellites were found before then regardless of the meridian theory they should still be found unless the dish has slipped a bit and therefore its out of alignment. I think going by his comments that he sees a picture briefly then disappears means that the motor is going too far east or west depending where he is moving from. Regards.

ramjet
30th April, 2012, 11:33 AM
Hi ramjet good points. I always say that you should always read receiver manuals - it can help to resolve many problems that people have , not always of course but it helps. The point i made regarding the default settings for USALS is that if satellites were found before then regardless of the meridian theory they should still be found unless the dish has slipped a bit and therefore its out of alignment. I think going by his comments that he sees a picture briefly then disappears means that the motor is going too far east or west depending where he is moving from. Regards.

agreed , and that has always been my assumption from my very first post on page 1 where I asked him to check his usals or diseqc settings, and I repeated that information several times too (and he ignored it)

so I think its as simple as that as well and always have done too, incorrect usals or incorrect diseqc settings meaning that the motor is slightly off centre on the satellite causing the reception issues, but cannot be far out seeing as he does actually get channels

after he said he had a vu+ duo I checked the vu section tutorials and there are explanations on setting the box up including using your location and addings the usals settings, so no excuse for the OP not reading that section, and without any evidence to back up his statement about a damaged lnb
(which I think was a poor assumption unless it was water damaged or had hit a wall)

using factory settings means he has not taken into account his location and so not adjusted the box accordingly

Nutsandbolts
30th April, 2012, 04:30 PM
Yeah agreed dont think anything to do with damaged LNB not after you get 900 odd channels. My 3 tips for motorized systems when you have a problem are as follows:
1) Always make sure motor is working ie dish is actually moving
2) If motor ok check LNB/cables.
3) Check alignment or settings ie USALS/DISEQC and TP's.
Regards.

memons
30th April, 2012, 08:53 PM
agreed , and that has always been my assumption from my very first post on page 1 where I asked him to check his usals or diseqc settings, and I repeated that information several times too (and he ignored it)

so I think its as simple as that as well and always have done too, incorrect usals or incorrect diseqc settings meaning that the motor is slightly off centre on the satellite causing the reception issues, but cannot be far out seeing as he does actually get channels

after he said he had a vu+ duo I checked the vu section tutorials and there are explanations on setting the box up including using your location and addings the usals settings, so no excuse for the OP not reading that section, and without any evidence to back up his statement about a damaged lnb
(which I think was a poor assumption unless it was water damaged or had hit a wall)

using factory settings means he has not taken into account his location and so not adjusted the box accordingly

Yeah agreed dont think anything to do with damaged LNB not after you get 900 odd channels. My 3 tips for motorized systems when you have a problem are as follows:
1) Always make sure motor is working ie dish is actually moving
2) If motor ok check LNB/cables.
3) Check alignment or settings ie USALS/DISEQC and TP's.
Regards.
@nutsandbolts and @ramjet
You have been great help..
sorry i did not read any info about vu.
Thanks a lot

Nutsandbolts
30th April, 2012, 10:24 PM
Hi memons. Thanks for the thanks. Have you resolved your problem???? Regards.

memons
30th April, 2012, 11:52 PM
Hi memons. Thanks for the thanks. Have you resolved your problem???? Regards.
Hi,
Yes, and I dont know, how it is resolved :lollypop:. All I did, was just moved my dish a bit. Thanks for your guidance.
Regards

Nutsandbolts
1st May, 2012, 08:14 AM
Hi. Good news and well done, you see it was not that difficult.
All the best.