PDA

View Full Version : Newbie dumb question - Vu+ Duo vs Freesat boxes eg Foxsat

meggiedude
2nd May, 2012, 04:20 PM
Lo there.

About to pull trigger on either Vu+ Duo, Humax Foxsat PVR, or Echostar Slingloaded box.

Question is related to the Vu Duo+.

While I'm technically savvy enough to pick up any of these boxes and use/tweak them I just need to know the additional flexibility you get with the Vu+ Duo.

The Humax and Echostar are I'm sure setup to make general freesat easy to use for any punter, and that would include the wife.

But what extras are you getting here with the Vu+. I know DiSEqC motor driving is one of them, but I don't know much about the funky/murky dark arts of the rest of it.

To put you in the picture. I have a cheap Ross sat dish/receiver, with I added a Technomate motor to and setup with USALS.
I have now got to the point where I want a proper setup as far as the receiver and LNB are concerned. Hence the question.

I am happy to go down either linux or non-linux route, but I need to be able to hand the remote over to a technophobic wife at some point or other.
How easy are these to use (once setup) by someone who can barely operate a toaster without burning something? (she's not reading this is she?? :help: )

Cheers

MD.

dell_xps
2nd May, 2012, 08:03 PM
The wife will be able to use it m8, simples !!

blueflash234
4th May, 2012, 01:32 PM
why dont you keep the ross dish static and add a new motirised dish as well put a duo lnb on the ross one cable to your freesat dish one to your duo plus the moterised dish cable to your duo and dont let the wife use the duo

meggiedude
4th May, 2012, 03:30 PM
why dont you keep the ross dish static and add a new motirised dish as well put a duo lnb on the ross one cable to your freesat dish one to your duo plus the moterised dish cable to your duo and dont let the wife use the duo
I'm trying to work my way through this , but the lack of punctuation is killing me dude :-)
So are you saying she has the (was motorized, but now) static ross dish + ross receiver. While I get to play with nice shiny second motorized dish + Duo.
If so you are thinking like a true bloke. lol

Two slight issues
1) she nearly killed me for putting a nasty ugly dish on the side of the house. Bruises have only just faded. A second one would def result in homicide
2) See my post above - She burns the toast man. The Ross, which is not the friendliest of receivers - it being cheap an all, would bamboozle er.

potrobber
4th May, 2012, 07:31 PM
1) she nearly killed me for putting a nasty ugly dish on the side of the house. Bruises have only just faded

. A second one would def result in homicide

first let her see who is boss

by going home and ripping her pants off because they must be HURTING YOU

stop letting her wear the trousers go buy a duo and she can use it also

the duo is a simple to use box once setup very user friendly

meggiedude
4th May, 2012, 10:18 PM
1) she nearly killed me for putting a nasty ugly dish on the side of the house. Bruises have only just faded

. A second one would def result in homicide

first let her see who is boss

by going home and ripping her pants off because they must be HURTING YOU

stop letting her wear the trousers go buy a duo and she can use it also

the duo is a simple to use box once setup very user friendly

http:// http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Kinzuru/Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpg
OK, easy tiger. I get the message. Its easy to use.

meggiedude
6th May, 2012, 11:02 AM
OK, another newbie question related to the EPG

Read in a few places that you can get a working 7 day EPG (via VIX image for instance???), but that sometimes the series links can play up, i.e it either misses some recordings, especially if the broadcasters changes the timings. Is this true?

I assume the Freesat boxes don't have this issue (as is the case for my current old SD Thomson Freeview PVR)

meggiedude
7th May, 2012, 02:45 PM
OK, have pulled the trigger on Vu+ Duo clone now - direct from the far east.

Thanks to digicon for his advice here. :five:
So at least I have someone to blame if it does not work lol.

BTW, any chance of a response on the EPG question above

digicon
7th May, 2012, 04:17 PM
OK, have pulled the trigger on Vu+ Duo clone now - direct from the far east.

Thanks to digicon for his advice here. :five:
So at least I have someone to blame if it does not work lol.

BTW, any chance of a response on the EPG question above

You can set the 7 day EPG up on virtually any image and have it download daily to keep your machine up to date or do it manually every few days, Most popular place to keep the EPG is either on a USB stick or the Internal Hard Disk if you intend to fit one which you probably will.

The series link or Autotomer plugin depending on which image you use should work fine with no hiccups as long as the EPG is up to date