PDA

View Full Version : Samsung s3 revealed

cunny
3rd May, 2012, 08:25 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17935684

Samsung has unwrapped the Galaxy S III, a handset it boasted is "best smartphone in the world" thanks to its "nature-inspired" design, voice recognition and eye-tracking.

The handset is based around a 4.8in, 1280 x 720 OLED display and Samsung's quad-core Exynos processor. It'll provide LTE and 3G HSPA+ connectivity. It will run Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich. It'll have a choice of 16, 32 and 64GB of Flash storage, plus a Micro SD part.

There's 2.4GHz / 5GHz 802.11n on board, plus Bluetooth 4.0.

The S III has 2100mAh battery built into its gently curved 8.6mm thick frame, which will come with a glossy "marble white" or "pebble blue" back panel

The 1.9Mp front camera scans the user's eyes to ensure the screen stays lit when your watching. The rear, 8Mp, zero shutter lag camera has an eight-shot automatic burst mode which presents the best pic of the set, a feature first seen years ago on Sony Ericsson - as it was then - CyberShot phones.

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/03/samsung_launches_galaxy_s_3/

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/features/1354955/samsung_smart_technology_an_indepth_look.html

mattybhoy
4th May, 2012, 10:56 PM
It looks massive!

beeb2412
5th May, 2012, 08:03 PM
Not sure about the phone in only 2 colours.

Shady
5th May, 2012, 08:04 PM
yeah its shit, i ONLY EVER buy phones based on the case colour :rolleyes:

Meat-Head
5th May, 2012, 08:10 PM
yeah its shit, i ONLY EVER buy phones based on the case colour :rolleyes:

Damm it, what about the 'free one' you got :sheep::sheep::sheep:

Grizz
1st June, 2012, 11:38 AM
mine is on order, broke my galaxy s the other day. (sorry shady had to order the blue one lol).
Anyone else waiting for or recieved one?

garry1312
1st June, 2012, 12:36 PM
Bloody want it so bad. Same time thought my S2 is still a great handset..... I couldnt part with it.

.......but damn I need the S3!!!!!! lol

Grizz
1st June, 2012, 02:11 PM
looks fcukin sweet as a nut, im ~~~~in lost without my old one. had to tie to a 2 year contract for it cause too saucy for my budget, hopefully it will be worth it

Canker_Canison
1st June, 2012, 02:12 PM
Bloody want it so bad. Same time thought my S2 is still a great handset..... I couldnt part with it.

.......but damn I need the S3!!!!!! lol

Take solace in the thought that in a years time, when your contract is due for an upgrade, the next handset will be due for launch.

That's all that's keeping me going at the moment. Next upgrade available from July 2013..... :bawling:

Meat-Head
1st June, 2012, 06:19 PM
Why bother with a cell phone - there just bits of plastic that make a noise when somebody wants something.

garry1312
1st June, 2012, 08:05 PM
Haha loving it I am getting one for sweet f all :O out with the folks today my mum mentioned that she is due an upgrade this month and asked what I suggested and I said 'without a shadow of a doubt the Samsung Galaxy S3'. but my mum aint so good with the touch screen phones etc when the Xpreria X10 was released she had it a few days before giving it to me. But anyway she said 'I thought you liked your phone' I own the S2 and I said yeah its a fantastic phone but the S3 is the upgrade and I am desperate to get my hands on it lol. So she said that she will get the S3 and take my S2 aslong as I show her how to work the S2 lol.

Aww my mum is a gem she really is :)

My lucky day.

Anyone got there hands on one yet and what are your views.

Think it will be phone of the year.... another twos up to the Iphone from the Samsung Galaxy S range.

My S2 is with BT (which runs through the vodafone network) my mums network is orange. Is it worth taking the chance and unlocking the S2 myself or take it to someone else to do so and will I be able to unlock the S3. Never rooted my handsets or anything like that as never found the need to do so. As you can imagine I am pretty excited about getting the S3 but do not want to ~~~~ it the soon as I have it also if I ~~~~ the S2 I cant see me getting at S3 lol

happy_highlander
1st June, 2012, 10:37 PM
Gaz be very careful unlocking any phone from the galaxy range m8, they are all very prone to the imei ~~~~ing up and resetting to all zeros stopping you from downloading from the market amongst other things. Safest way is to root the phone and them use the imei backup app for s2 just incase things go pete tong during unlocking.

Grizz
1st June, 2012, 10:44 PM
ive read the S3s from Three ireland are not networked locked so maybe you might get lucky with Uk providers too.

garry1312
2nd June, 2012, 01:02 AM
See I dont think my BT S2 is network locked need to try a sim in it though. Only seem to have vodafone sims kicking about here and as I mentioned BT Business mobile use Vodafones network.

So what you thinks best to take it somewere and get it unlocked rather than attempt it myself with the S3 if need be?

Also with the S2 as I said I ~~~~ the S2 and I cant see that S3 being handed over lol.

mtv1
2nd June, 2012, 01:29 AM
ive read the S3s from Three ireland are not networked locked so maybe you might get lucky with Uk providers too.

thats true ;) also the htc range on 3 ireland are not locked tbh i think its the sim 3 use ;) but am not saying :)

cunny
2nd June, 2012, 04:24 AM
If you want 1 that bad gary, dont order the pebble blue, mine been delayed due to sammy writting off 600k backs due to a paint issue

happy_highlander
2nd June, 2012, 09:14 AM
See I dont think my BT S2 is network locked need to try a sim in it though. Only seem to have vodafone sims kicking about here and as I mentioned BT Business mobile use Vodafones network.

So what you thinks best to take it somewere and get it unlocked rather than attempt it myself with the S3 if need be?

Also with the S2 as I said I ~~~~ the S2 and I cant see that S3 being handed over lol.

To check if you are sim locked or are network locked type *#7465625# into your phone dialer.
No need to go hunting for sim cards :D

garry1312
2nd June, 2012, 10:54 PM
Cheers mate well the S2 says that the network lock is off :) had a feeling it was not locked

Just the S3 I have to worry about now :/ and sadly its not going to be on three it will be Orange.

Not to fussed about the colour but thanks for letting me know that I did check oranges site to see if they only done it in one colour or what (as you sometimes find) and they do both but have no pebble blue in stock. Unsure if I had the choice what colour id go with but its the handset I want colour is not a problem...... well maybe id knock back a pink glittery thing lol.

happy_highlander
3rd June, 2012, 12:11 AM
Cheers mate well the S2 says that the network lock is off :) had a feeling it was not locked

Just the S3 I have to worry about now :/ and sadly its not going to be on three it will be Orange.

Not to fussed about the colour but thanks for letting me know that I did check oranges site to see if they only done it in one colour or what (as you sometimes find) and they do both but have no pebble blue in stock. Unsure if I had the choice what colour id go with but its the handset I want colour is not a problem...... well maybe id knock back a pink glittery thing lol.

Tell her to get her upgrade from phones 4 u or carphone warehouse as they are not network locked instead of getting it direct from orange.

garry1312
3rd June, 2012, 12:34 AM
Tell her to get her upgrade from phones 4 u or carphone warehouse as they are not network locked instead of getting it direct from orange.

She needs to mate she will get a cheaper contract on it with orange as she has 3 contracts with them and a business contract and has been with them for god knows how long. so when any phone is due an upgrade they tell her to take her pick of phone without having to change tarriff or pay anything for the handset etc.

happy_highlander
3rd June, 2012, 01:23 AM
She needs to mate she will get a cheaper contract on it with orange as she has 3 contracts with them and a business contract and has been with them for god knows how long. so when any phone is due an upgrade they tell her to take her pick of phone without having to change tarriff or pay anything for the handset etc.

That's a bugger then, but when I changed to the s2 for the wife it was through phones for u without changing tariff or anything. I'll go have a look around for you mate and see if there is any info on unlocking an s3 because it will be network locked and branded with loads of bloatware on it, orange usually do

happy_highlander
3rd June, 2012, 01:39 AM
Garry the s3 was unlocked yesterday by a very clever chap over on another forum but he hasn't had a chance to write the tutorial yet, should be here within the next day or two

garry1312
3rd June, 2012, 01:39 AM
That's a bugger then, but when I changed to the s2 for the wife it was through phones for u without changing tariff or anything. I'll go have a look around for you mate and see if there is any info on unlocking an s3 because it will be network locked and branded with loads of bloatware on it, orange usually do

I know that mate that's why I am thinking it is best for me to pay someone to do it rather than attempting something I have never done before and bricking a phone that I desperately want. Yeah orange is terrible for also adding there own crap on to it forgot all about that actually was with Orange for sometime they made a fair amount out of me and then when I had issues they were not interested and I gave up on them after years of being a loyal customer and have said I will never go near them again.

If I unlock it myself I will only attempt it if I am 110% sure on what I am doing as wont want to brick it.

Grizz
7th June, 2012, 09:00 PM
finally got it today, nice phone. doesnt seem locked, i stuck in an old vodafone card to get my contacts(chopped it to microsim size lol) and all it said was not registered on network.

happy_highlander
7th June, 2012, 09:27 PM
finally got it today, nice phone. doesnt seem locked, i stuck in an old vodafone card to get my contacts(chopped it to microsim size lol) and all it said was not registered on network.

Here's the easy way to check.
To check if you are sim locked or are network locked type *#7465625# into your phone dialer.
No need to go hunting for sim cards

Grizz
7th June, 2012, 10:08 PM
excellent, network lock off.

pflame
8th June, 2012, 12:20 PM
cant wait till i get mine soon as i land a permanent job.

johnna2112
10th June, 2012, 05:58 PM
i was after the s3 myself but im on 3 & they only have white ones, look manky after a couple of months so looks like its the iphone ( if it has google nav on ) or just wait

Canker_Canison
10th June, 2012, 11:28 PM
i was after the s3 myself but im on 3 & they only have white ones, look manky after a couple of months so looks like its the iphone ( if it has google nav on ) or just wait

If colour is the 'all important' factor... Why don't you just pick one up from an independent retailer? Or wait till it's dirty & replace the housing?

Just so you know, 50,000 blue S3 phones have been recalled due to a 'software issue' according to phones 4 u.
I was under the impression it was a colour banding problem?!

If it is a software issue I want to know what software I need to install to change the colour of my phone?

garry1312
12th June, 2012, 08:55 PM
Aah have to wait until the 27th of July for mine. Mother went in to Orange to upgrade, as they used to let you upgrade a bit before your contract came to an end but they have now changed the time scale on that so I have to wait :(

mattybhoy
12th June, 2012, 10:15 PM
Got mine Sat from Carphone Wearhouse - unblocked. Thanks for advice Canker.

By the way, what a phone! Love it.

Canker_Canison
13th June, 2012, 12:40 AM
Aah have to wait until the 27th of July for mine. Mother went in to Orange to upgrade, as they used to let you upgrade a bit before your contract came to an end but they have now changed the time scale on that so I have to wait :(

If you can help it.... Stop her from going to Orange for the upgrade. You do not want the Orange software on the phone.

Should it be unavoidable, just hope they don't have any in stock. You might be able to get Orange to authorise the deal through an independent who has the S3 in stock.

Chalkywhite
13th June, 2012, 01:51 PM
Well I was a iPhone fan but thought I would trade my iPhone 4 in and get a s3, glad I did its a fantastic phone. Now I just need to figure out how to put my music on there and sync my books I have in Dropbox.The screen resolution is fantastic and camera is great as well I can't put it down, would be nice to get some tips and tricks for using these phones as I had a iPhone for so long.

becadle
14th June, 2012, 02:35 AM
Yea thats what im talking about

Canker_Canison
14th June, 2012, 01:35 PM
Well I was a iPhone fan but thought I would trade my iPhone 4 in and get a s3, glad I did its a fantastic phone. Now I just need to figure out how to put my music on there and sync my books I have in Dropbox.The screen resolution is fantastic and camera is great as well I can't put it down, would be nice to get some tips and tricks for using these phones as I had a iPhone for so long.

Given that I never use Itunes, I may not be the best person to offer advice.

But all my music was dragged & dropped from my PC onto the phone while in mass storage mode.
Just plugged my phone in & let it run as a storage device. Nothing easier really comes to mind.

If you don't want the hastle of using a wire between the phone & PC, try using Kies Air through the wifi. It will be slower...but your first response will be 'WOW!! How f'ing cool is this!'