PDA

View Full Version : DM800 - Certains HD Channels Have Started Glitching

tombutler
7th May, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hi,

Over the last few day some HD channels have started glitching for some reason.

I've had the DM800 HD for some 18 months or so. It's got a Rev L tuner inside it. From the outset practically all HD channels glitched.

This was solved by adding an in-line amp costing a few quid (the 13-18db gain version). That did the trick.

However for some reason some channels (Disney Cine HD, Eurosport HD, ESPN HD, E4 HD) have become unwatchable.

The funny thing is all S_Sports HD channels and S_Movies are still working fine.

Checked that all connections are secure, which they are. Has anybody come across a similar experience?

Could the amp be on it's way out? Or what about the tuner? From the start I have had the occasional "Tune Failed" message. But I've lived with it as a 2 minute reboot a couple times a week is no biggie for me.

I wonder will upgrading the tuner to Rev M fix the issue, or would I be throwing good money after bad?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

T

micflair
7th May, 2012, 04:13 PM
Alright mate. Rev M tuners are a massive upgrade in my books, pick yourself one up and hopefully that will sort out your problems!

tombutler
9th October, 2012, 11:37 AM
My Dm800hd is around 2 years old. It has served me well. Have had to put up with the occasional "Tune Failed" message and more recently a few HD that have started to glitch (see above).

Yesterday was greeted by the following on screen message when attempting to change channels:

"Service Unavailable
Check Tuner Configuration".

Took the box to bits and reseated the L Tuner. The receiver was working for a short while after this with good SNR and AGC levels. This lasted for about half an hour.

Is this a hardware issue? Is it time to replace the tuner with the M version which can be obtained off ebay for less than 30 quid inc delivery?

lombard
9th October, 2012, 05:54 PM
My Dm800hd is around 2 years old. It has served me well. Have had to put up with the occasional "Tune Failed" message and more recently a few HD that have started to glitch (see above).

Yesterday was greeted by the following on screen message when attempting to change channels:

"Service Unavailable
Check Tuner Configuration".

Took the box to bits and reseated the L Tuner. The receiver was working for a short while after this with good SNR and AGC levels. This lasted for about half an hour.

Is this a hardware issue? Is it time to replace the tuner with the M version which can be obtained off ebay for less than 30 quid inc delivery?

most likely the tuner or couldb be dish/lnb cabling,

tombutler
9th October, 2012, 09:45 PM
most likely the tuner or couldb be dish/lnb cabling,

Cheers. Pretty certain the dish and cable are still spot on. After re-seating it was working again for a while. As a test I sent the dish to a channel on 4.8e and got near 100% SNR.

Then swung it back to 28.2e and was getting 93% SNR for ITV HD.

Also more worryingly there's now no tuner present in setup. If it was a cable or dish issue I would suspect that the tuner at least would still be showing.

Spent about a day googling. I'l have to go back but I'm sure I read some posts somewhere stating that flashing the box again solved this issue.

I've got the same image on the box since day 1 (BH 1.33V3 Phoenix Edition) and it hasn't played up once.

I'm a bit loathed going down the road of putting a new image on the box as I'm not sure what I'll lose.

But I'm willing to do so if it solves the issue?????

BTW if I did replace the tuner with a Rev M tuner, would I have to put a new image and bl on the box anyway?

Currently on sim2.01 and 76c.

Cheers.

longras1973
9th October, 2012, 10:42 PM
Boa tarde, sou novo nisto e gostava de iniciar a configura??o desta m?quina. Quem me pode ajudar?

maca
9th October, 2012, 10:43 PM
Boa tarde, sou novo nisto e gostava de iniciar a configura??o desta m?quina. Quem me pode ajudar?
Depends what mood she's in mate.......english only please

sheiky
12th October, 2012, 12:29 AM
I would suggest take a backup of your box..
If you haven't updated your box channel listings in awhile It may be the cause as sly change their frequency so may have moved!!!! If that doesn't work I would strongly recommend that you reflash your box before you purchase a new Tuner. Iv had the same on some dm,s and resolved by the above steps :) hope it goes well for you

tombutler
12th October, 2012, 10:31 AM
I would suggest take a backup of your box..
If you haven't updated your box channel listings in awhile It may be the cause as sly change their frequency so may have moved!!!! If that doesn't work I would strongly recommend that you reflash your box before you purchase a new Tuner. Iv had the same on some dm,s and resolved by the above steps :) hope it goes well for you

Alright mate,

The box wasn't seeing the tuner at all so pretty certain it not a dish/cable/transponder etc issue. Also the tuner was seen and channels received for a short while after re-seating the tuner. It then died after about half an hour.

Did take a backup of sorts of the DM. Took a backup of the bouquets using the usual s/w (DBedit I think - away from the PC at the moment and can't recall the name of the s/w).

Then I FTP the whole directory structure of the DM to my PC. Hopefully I can upload essential files (CCcam.cfg) etc later on.

I did reflash my box with Dream Elite V3.0 . Got the link from the Images section of the forum. First time I flashed the box, had the old image on there for 2 years. All went well and I've now got a new image loaded.

However this did not solve the issue with no tuner still not being seen by the box.

Took a punt and ordered a new Rev M Tuner to replace the suspected knackered L Tuner. Whilst I was at it I ordered a new CPU fan as the current fan seemed hardly to be moving.

Paid 29 quid for the tuner and about 3 quid for the fan. Ordered the items Wed afternoon and they arrived Thurs morning.

Added the new components to the box. Box is now seeing the new tuner.

Scanned all channels on 28.2e (which always takes ages). Had the box on test for a few hours last night and it was still going strong.

So it looks as if the tuner was the root cause.

All I have to do now configure the box and scan the other sats if I do decide to stick with this new image.