PDA

View Full Version : Urban Foxes

cgscott
7th May, 2012, 05:23 PM
Got a family of foxes living to the rear of my garden.
Often see them scouring about during the day.
Is there anyway of getting rid of them without harming them?

Bit concerned as when my lad gets a bit older i want him to be able to wander the garden without concern.

daithi
7th May, 2012, 06:17 PM
foxes wont go near him mate
one fox commits a bit of hassle in a house and there all getting painted with the one brush lol

they probably have young cubs now so its not a great idea to bother them
but the cubs might be hardy enough if there were born early... block the hole for about two days with them either in it or not
they wont die as they will most likely have grub stored down there... if they dont they still wont die just be hungry lol... should be enough to get rid of them

if not ya can get snares that catch the fox but wont kill it,,, then just cut it and let it off the snare will loosen from its neck and fall off after a few minutes

theres a stopper on them that stops it closing fully

or ya can make your own easily

RedSpider
7th May, 2012, 06:28 PM
kill the foxes or else, before you know it, they'll be wearing purple suits and trying to entice you into bingo halls and, more importantly, freaking the living bejesus out of every soul who sets eyes upon them.

bobwill
7th May, 2012, 06:31 PM
bloody vermin we have lorry loads of london foxes dumped near me they are dumped on an old airfield the first day you see the dead ones hit by cars near the dump area after about a week you see them about 6miles away laying on side of road dead. Local foxes mostly only come out at night unless disturbed London foxes are about during the day so are soon delt with

daithi
7th May, 2012, 06:35 PM
bloody vermin we have lorry loads of london foxes dumped near me they are dumped on an old airfield the first day you see the dead ones hit by cars near the dump area after about a week you see them about 6miles away laying on side of road dead. Local foxes mostly only come out at night unless disturbed London foxes are about during the day so are soon delt with

whos dumping lorry loads of foxes out by your house mate

is there someone going around killing them then dumping them or are individuals coming out to the unapproved council fox graveyard and dumping them?

bobwill
7th May, 2012, 06:53 PM
nobody owns up to it but someone is dumping live foxes. They are live foxes caught in a city we always call them London foxes as we are only 100mile away so nearest big city but could come from anywhere.As they are not used to country roads there seem to run into the road and get hit by cars .We get about one load a year,and for a few weeks you hear about chickens and ducks that the foxes have killed bloody things do not kill to eat they go into a henhouse and bite the necks of all of them and leave the bodys untouched. A few years ago I was told that one game keeper shot 300 foxes in one year dont know if true or not but I would not be suprised.

nara
7th May, 2012, 07:07 PM
As daithi says, don't worry. They stay away from humans.

That story a few years back about a fox attacking babies was always a bit suss.

daithi
7th May, 2012, 07:23 PM
nobody owns up to it but someone is dumping live foxes. They are live foxes caught in a city we always call them London foxes as we are only 100mile away so nearest big city but could come from anywhere.As they are not used to country roads there seem to run into the road and get hit by cars .We get about one load a year,and for a few weeks you hear about chickens and ducks that the foxes have killed bloody things do not kill to eat they go into a henhouse and bite the necks of all of them and leave the bodys untouched. A few years ago I was told that one game keeper shot 300 foxes in one year dont know if true or not but I would not be suprised.

would they not be used to the roads in the cities,,, also city foxes dont hunt prey they live off scraps from bins and what people leave out for them there not half as smart as country foxes and most are in poor condition...

mink are an animal that kill chickens etc for fun and take the heads off them

cactikid
7th May, 2012, 07:43 PM
The fox website | Urban foxes | Conflict (http://www.thefoxwebsite.org/urbanfoxes/urbanconflict.html)

http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/factsheets/fox/index.html

Canker_Canison
7th May, 2012, 11:02 PM
I've always loved foxes, not just the sweetie type.

There are a few in the area, my dog doesn't know what to make of them. Most of the time he will just watch them...until one starts to run...Then he wants to chase them.
It's so funny. You can see the look on his face change from, oh..it's you again, to... fcuk me... you can run! Play time.

Many, many moons ago I used to work site security at a transport yard. There were foxes there that some of the drivers used to leave food out for.
One night, one of the cubs started following me around the yard. Managed to hand feed it (at arms length) some of my bait. Very timid, but very cute.