PDA

View Full Version : Flat Battery

Bulld0g
23rd January, 2009, 10:16 PM
Hiya all. My cars been lying up for just over 2 weeks. I started it up today to make sure the battery was ok. It was as flat as a witches left tit :(
I've only had the battery just over 12 months and it's still under warranty. Thing is this is the second one i've had. First one lasted 18 months and went flat, they gave me this one as a replacement and it looks like it's gone the same.
Do you think it's another duff battery or could it be a bigger underlying problem

gordy230
23rd January, 2009, 10:29 PM
Hiya all. My cars been lying up for just over 2 weeks. I started it up today to make sure the battery was ok. It was as flat as a witches left tit :(
I've only had the battery just over 12 months and it's still under warranty. Thing is this is the second one i've had. First one lasted 18 months and went flat, they gave me this one as a replacement and it looks like it's gone the same.
Do you think it's another duff battery or could it be a bigger underlying problem

iiiii you will need to get a load test on battery and check for discharges

smirnoff_rules
24th January, 2009, 01:19 AM
wot car m8 .. some use alot of volts just sitting

Bulld0g
24th January, 2009, 01:24 AM
It's an old Rover 416si. Had it from fairly new m8. Was about 18 months old when i got it. It's about 10 years old now. I don't use it a great deal only 41000 on the clock. I use van for work and rarely use the car except maybe the weekend for a bit of running
around. Could this help drain the battery if it's not used a lot ?

Lanxman
24th January, 2009, 01:25 AM
Rover! hahaha lol

Bulld0g
24th January, 2009, 01:27 AM
Rover! hahaha lol

Do one biatch. This is a serious thread, me cars dyin on me and you come here owning a Clio and mocking me. How dare you ;)

Lanxman
24th January, 2009, 01:31 AM
Do one biatch. This is a serious thread, me cars dyin on me and you come here owning a Clio and mocking me. How dare you ;)

No wonder it's dying, It's a rover. lol
kidding mate, I'll leave you to it now (you know I couldn't let that lie)

C64
24th January, 2009, 02:03 AM
I'm no expert on cars, but if this is your 2nd battery, could it maybe be your alternator?

Failing that,you have something discharging your battery even when the car is idle.

gmb45
24th January, 2009, 06:40 AM
Do you think it's another duff battery or could it be a bigger underlying problemhmmm could be another duff one i doubt it tho,2weeks stood ? cars need a good run to keep battery in good nick if your only going like round town it dont get charged right,there is a safety thing on most cars which discharge the battery when fully charged could be that,more likely to be the alternator, you can check it by recharging the battery then start the car remove a battery lead when car is running if the car carries on running the alternator is ok if it stops alternator knackered.if your alternator is ok then its a garage job m8 im afraid.

zaphodbb
24th January, 2009, 08:52 AM
just a thought, i had similar problems with my car and the battery is only six months old, i would only leave it in the garage for a week and the ignition light would not even come on. i disabled the interior light and that has solved the problem now i can leave it for weeks and it starts first time no probs worth a look !!

gmb45
24th January, 2009, 09:08 AM
just a thought, i had similar problems with my car and the battery is only six months old, i would only leave it in the garage for a week and the ignition light would not even come on. i disabled the interior light and that has solved the problem now i can leave it for weeks and it starts first time no probs worth a look !!if the battery is ok then something like that could be the prob

cactikid
24th January, 2009, 11:12 PM
if u r leaving ur car for 3 weeks try taking off 1 terminal off battery to disconnect and if it starts up after 3 weeks battery is ok,suspect drain which can discharge a battery in a week and also get altenator checked for under/over charging.

cactikid
25th January, 2009, 01:25 PM
even modern cars vws and toyotas yes flatten batteries if not driven for 10 days.

redcar.mackem
27th January, 2009, 11:23 PM
My old man had a Rover 400 for 4 years & never had a problem. But for some reason started having flat battery problems even when he fitted a new one. Turned out that the tailgate interior light switch went faulty & was on all the time, thus draining the battery when the car had stood for a couple of days.
He remove the bulb & solved the problem. Might be worth a look.