PDA

View Full Version : Vu Duo Clone Fan problem

sakiblateef
10th May, 2012, 02:12 PM
Installed black hole image 1.7.3 and the fan is not working but when I installed Vix 2.3 prior to the 3.11 kernal it worked fine.

I opened up the receiver and the fan connection is ok.

Any ideas?

digicon
10th May, 2012, 02:39 PM
Did yo try switching it on in the Fan menu setup options if i recall its set to off

sakiblateef
10th May, 2012, 03:17 PM
I've turned it on in the fan setting menu its still not working. It is the fan that is faulty. It works if I use a screw driver and start the fan manually but when I pull the mains supply and plug it back in, its the same again.

I will ask the supplier to send me a replacement fan.

nortonuser
21st May, 2012, 11:23 AM
There is a problem where a resistor has to be changed on the mainboard to one of a lesser value to give the fan the right amount of current.

sakiblateef
21st May, 2012, 10:13 PM
There is a problem where a resistor has to be changed on the mainboard to one of a lesser value to give the fan the right amount of current.

Is this the case with all the current clones?

The fan actually works if I poke a skewdriver through the back to start it.

I'm still waiting for the fan to arrive and if the problem is not sorted I will ask for a full refund as I don't want to mess around with electrical componenets in case I damage the box.

Thanks for the heads up.

digicon
21st May, 2012, 11:10 PM
Fan works fine on mine, But changing that resistor is not an easy task from the photo i have seen

cactikid
21st May, 2012, 11:15 PM
best not to mess with circuit boards,send back under warranty.

IAmATeaf
22nd May, 2012, 02:45 PM
Fan works fine on mine, But changing that resistor is not an easy task from the photo i have seen

Does look doable if you have the appropriate soldering skills but I wouldn't suggest that a soldering novice has a go as you're likely to make a mess.

sakiblateef
22nd May, 2012, 08:43 PM
Does look doable if you have the appropriate soldering skills but I wouldn't suggest that a soldering novice has a go as you're likely to make a mess.

Soldering isn't an issue for me, I don't see the point in messing around with it since its under warranty.

I have managed to solve the problem. Some components on the power supply were stopping the fan from working. They have left very little room between the fan and power supply which stopped the fan from working.

DOUGALMCD
23rd May, 2012, 08:03 AM
Just to clarify are saying the fan was just jammed by a component it wasn't a board problem.

IAmATeaf
23rd May, 2012, 10:57 AM
Just to clarify are saying the fan was just jammed by a component it wasn't a board problem.

That's what it sounds like, so a component on the board was rubbing against the fan blades.

Might be an idea for others to check that their fan does work as intended.

sakiblateef
23rd May, 2012, 01:15 PM

Yep thats the problem I had with mine. When I removed the fan from its resting place behind the PS and held in my hand it worked fine. As I put everything back together again the fan stopped working.

If you open it up and look where the fan is you will notice there is very little room between the PS and the fan. I can only come to the conclusion that this may be the problem. There are other reports that it could be a resistor problem also.

IAmATeaf
23rd May, 2012, 02:28 PM
So what did you do, move the PSU back as much as it would go or bend a component out of the way?

sakiblateef
24th May, 2012, 09:01 PM
So what did you do, move the PSU back as much as it would go or bend a component out of the way?

Neither of those options will work. I drilled a few more holes in the back and moved the fan slightly from it original position. Its still working since I last checked today.

IAmATeaf
25th May, 2012, 10:48 PM
Neither of those options will work. I drilled a few more holes in the back and moved the fan slightly from it original position. Its still working since I last checked today.

I think that deserves a pic mate :)

les53
25th September, 2012, 04:35 PM
Hi. I have Vu+ duo clone with fan stopping / failing to start. manually helping it to spin will make it run for a while. With fan unplugged, motherboard socket has 12VDC. With fan plugged in that voltage drops to 2.4VDC which is a bit low to keep a 12V fan spinning. Tried other samples of 12V fan, no better, some worse. I suspect a motherboard resistor is in series as a primitive noise reduction feature. Is it best to short the resistor, or replace with lower value? Thanks, Les.

IAmATeaf
25th September, 2012, 09:13 PM
I replace the current 220ohm with a 100ohm as shown in the diagram. But first check that that the resistor you have in your box is 220ohm.

pongo snodgrass
30th October, 2012, 06:38 PM
I replace the current 220ohm with a 100ohm as shown in the diagram. But first check that that the resistor you have in your box is 220ohm.
i have this problem with the fractal fan i replaced....cant even see the resistor let alone remove it..

dmdigi
3rd May, 2013, 06:15 PM
Installed black hole image 1.7.3 and the fan is not working but when I installed Vix 2.3 prior to the 3.11 kernal it worked fine.

I opened up the receiver and the fan connection is ok.

Any ideas?
I know this thread is a year old.
This could well be caused by kernal 3.1.1.

I have been having this problem since upgrading to kernal 3.1.1 as well on my Original Duo.

pacha2
4th November, 2013, 12:00 AM
I seem to be having the same issue too.
Fan runs fine for a while and then it seems to stop in Standby and doesn't start after a reboot either.
That soldering photo looks very tricky.

I was thinking of adding another fan but not sure how/what is best to do here?

I'm running ViX 3.0.767