PDA

View Full Version : booze going up in Scotland

true grit
15th May, 2012, 08:58 PM
The Scottish Government has announced it wants to set a minimum price of 50p per unit of alcohol.
The measure is predicted to save 500 lives a year, and will see the price of a standard bottle of wine at 12.5% volume set at a minimum of ?4.69 in Scotland, compared to ?2.99 for the cheapest bottle of plonk in England.
The proposals raise the prospect of cross-border booze raids from Scots who wish to avoid paying up to two and a half times the current price of alcohol.
The price of a can of strong cider will rise from 45p to at least ?1.17 under the planned changes.

A 70cl bottle of whisky at 40% will cost no less than ?14 - while south of the border a supermarket own-brand bottle won't be much over ?10.
HOW MUCH BOOZE WILL COST SCOTS AT 50p A UNIT
Tesco Value vodka, 70cl
26.2 units, now 34p per unit
Now: ?8.72, After: ?13.13
Tesco Value whisky, 70cl
28 units, now 36p per unit
Now: ?9.97, After: ?14.00
Tesco Strong dry cider, 4x440ml
9.3 units, now 20p per unit
Now: ?1.80, After: ?4.67
Tesco Lager, 4x500ml
8 units, now 28p per unit
Now: ?2.24, After: ?4.00
Tesco Simply Chenin Blanc, 750ml
9.4 units, now 38p per unit
Now: ?3.49, After: ?4.69
A similar-sized bottle of vodka at 37.5% will be at least ?13.13, while it will cost less than ?9 in some English supermarkets.
Meanwhile Scots will pay at least ?1 for a can of lager while bulk-buy deals in England will knock the price down to around 65p.

:stoned:

smirnoff_rules
15th May, 2012, 09:02 PM
booze cruise to england then , think its mad there just going to get it here or fake stuff and no tax

Elric
15th May, 2012, 09:05 PM
booze cruise to england then , think its mad there just going to get it here or fake stuff and no tax

time to build that wall higher at the border

Meat-Head
15th May, 2012, 09:05 PM
, think its mad there just going to get it here or fake stuff and no tax

Second that BBC News - Boston fire blast unit producing illegal vodka (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-14188297)

Larue
15th May, 2012, 09:07 PM
Heard today about this on radio that Scottish people are drinking 25% more alcohol than English.
Basically not a big deal. Especially about cider. We could do some exchange. I can send some local dry cider to Scotland and you could send some local Scottish whiskey to me. :beer:

smirnoff_rules
15th May, 2012, 09:10 PM
Heard today about this on radio that Scottish people are drinking 25% more alcohol than English.
Basically not a big deal. Especially about cider. We could do some exchange. I can send some local dry cider to Scotland and you could send some local Scottish whiskey to me. :beer:

that makes u think . how do they police this if u buy from here and drink there . ie order there weeks drink in from the boarder

skegsagypsy
15th May, 2012, 09:12 PM
It's like trying to put out a fire by spraying petrol on it :D

Meat-Head
15th May, 2012, 09:15 PM
It's like trying to put out a fire by spraying petrol on it :D

That would be intreasting experiment, as it's the vapour that burns not the liquid

skegsagypsy
15th May, 2012, 09:25 PM
As the vapour would reach the fire before the liquid and increase the intensity of the fire, the Scots will reach the liquid before the tax and therefore prove the punitive measure by government as unsuccessful as trying to extinguish a fire by pouring petrol on it :D

Meat-Head
15th May, 2012, 09:29 PM
ok, make it into two stroke and frezze it, try that.

skegsagypsy
15th May, 2012, 09:32 PM
Haven't got a freezer :D

smirnoff_rules
15th May, 2012, 09:49 PM
Haven't got a freezer :D

u don't need one up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skegsagypsy
15th May, 2012, 09:54 PM
You do if ye wanna freeze two stroke, ~~~~ that I'd rather drink the two stroke than freeze the ~~~~er :D

Snowy79
15th May, 2012, 10:47 PM
Why do we want to save piss heads lives?

maca
15th May, 2012, 10:48 PM
you tea total ~~~~er lol

kozlovski
15th May, 2012, 11:06 PM
time for a still

DOUGALMCD
17th May, 2012, 12:23 PM
Of course it's not about saving lives it's about who can afford to drink. The rich will still be able to afford it. Nobody's interested in our lives. They send soldiers over to wherever and they drop like flies and for what. For some pharmaceutical company to make more money. It's all got to do with learned behaviour. Teach people to drink responsibly and they will. I work hard I like a drink why should I pay more. No good reason just some bullsh**. excuse from a no mark in government who hasn't done a hard days work in their life. Just more taxation on those who are already getting squeezed.

ray156
17th May, 2012, 01:03 PM
my opinion which i am entitled to.about time i say,i pay a very high duty on my 20 a day.which i probably get the same pleasure to someone who drinks.tax duty on my pkt of 20 is ?4.13 so a pkt of 20 cigs would only be ?1.17 to buy.so i think it only fair that alcohol/beer etc should be taxed high as well.its a proven fact that alcohol ruins more lives or families,i for one aint gonna beat up my wife cause have had a ciggie,or knock a kid down with nicotine inside me,etc etc etc.smokers have been victimised for a long time,but the tide is now turning,with the very high rise in drink related deaths,accidents etc,not to mention liver disease,and kids as young as 9/10 drinking in bus stops etc,yes smoking kills as well but takes a long time,drink can kill in seconds,just a couple of pints can cause a person not to be in full control of there mind/body.said my piece.

DOUGALMCD
17th May, 2012, 03:13 PM
I've got a solution why don't we just ban drinking and smoking seeing as they are both bad for you. Learned behaviour.

ray156
17th May, 2012, 03:25 PM
I've got a solution why don't we just ban drinking and smoking seeing as they are both bad for you. Learned behaviour.

where would it end ?

The study of more than 120,000 people suggested red meat increased the risk of death from cancer and heart problems.

andy91
17th May, 2012, 03:28 PM
Few Jocks on here who will have to dig deeper lol

Soon they will say fresh air is bad for you.

Andy.

ray156
17th May, 2012, 04:16 PM
Few Jocks on here who will have to dig deeper lol

Soon they will say fresh air is bad for you.

Andy.
fresh air is bad for you...when i go outside need to have a ciggie,stop it poisoning me.

Hoppy01
17th May, 2012, 07:05 PM
So the government has decided to punish the majority of people who enjoy a drink because a minority have developed addiction problems so the answer is to jack up the price!
A don't think it will have much effect except to piss of the majority of us that are weekend warriors.

I have a neighbour who is an alcoholic and he told me a few weeks ago (with a smile on his face) that he is off jobseekers allowance now and picks up ?120 a week because of his addiction.
If the government wants to make an impact then stop paying people a wage to be piss artists and tackle the social issues that create this problem.

The whole of Britain is seeing the government jump into their living rooms telling us how to live our lives too much already..
Its always the big 3 that get humped and that fags, booze and petrol ..
A know am ranting a bit but like yourselves a work 40+ hours a week and every year it just seems am working more for a lot less...

Rant over, am away to get pissed..:beer:

DOUGALMCD
17th May, 2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah roll on retirement and then death. Ha ha.