PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Forensic Guide

wacko
18th May, 2012, 05:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/PwoE6.jpg
Windows 8 Forensic Guide
12MB | PDF | English

As you probably know, Windows 8 connects with all sorts of networks, social and otherwise. The Metro Mail app has built-in hooks for Hotmail, Gmail, and Exchange; Metro Photos links to Facebook and Flickr; the Metro People app (which stores contacts) can pull data from Hotmail, Gmail, Exchange, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. All you have to do is log on to Windows 8 with a Microsoft account, then go out and connect the online dots.

You might not know -- at least, I was very surprised to find -- that Windows 8 doesn't build its Contacts list dynamically. Instead, it keeps a cache of contacts from all of those sources stored on the machine. The cache persists even when the user logs off or the machine is turned off. That means anyone who can sign on to your PC with an administrator account can see all of your contacts and all of their data -- names, email addresses, pictures, telephone numbers, addresses -- whatever you have on file or whatever's been sucked in from Hotmail, Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

I found out about the lingering contacts cache in a new white paper (PDF) from Amanda C.F. Thomson, a grad student at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Her blog, appropriately entitled PropellerHeadForensics, digs deep into the contents of the AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming folders in Windows 8, a messy brew of intertwined hex files that contain all sorts of surprises.

http://www.filereactor.com/xpgek79t2iux

ray156
18th May, 2012, 05:29 PM
i had windows 8 running from a spare drive,instaled it and uninstaled same day.not my cup of tea.i like my xp at least got a start menu.i have windows 7 but never use it.

RedSpider
18th May, 2012, 06:22 PM
xp? really? it's time to stop living in the past now, ray lol

ray156
18th May, 2012, 06:28 PM
xp? really? it's time to stop living in the past now, ray lol

if windows 8 is the future,i will go back further to me or 98.lol

Street Hawk
21st May, 2012, 09:30 AM
Win 98 was the best OS made by Microsoft. some places in the MOD still use it now.

gopher7
24th May, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'm sure Microsoft stop support for XP in few years time.

m9g
25th May, 2012, 07:31 AM
XP was by far the best most stable OS, I use 7 as it is a fresh XP but I still have XP in a virtual drive

Installed 8 to have a look and biggest pile of poo ever for desktops and laptops, it is deffo for the tablet user

justinalot
26th May, 2012, 11:41 AM
So far i dont like Windows 8, But I think the new LEAP gadget will help it along

ray156
26th May, 2012, 12:02 PM
I'm sure Microsoft stop support for XP in few years time.

Support for Windows XP service pack 3 (SP3)is ending on April 8, 2014.

Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) ended on July 13, 2010

Wolfpack
26th May, 2012, 03:16 PM
Sounds like one good virus across the shitty social networks takes it down. God i hate Facebook and Twitter.