PDA

View Full Version : Venison Casserole

SIMPLY THE BEST
22nd May, 2012, 08:13 PM
1 Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Fry the vegetables in a little oil and butter in a heavy-based casserole for 4-5 mins until golden. Tip in the garlic and fry for a further min, then set aside.

2 Put the venison into a plastic bag with seasoned flour and shake to coat. Add a little more oil and butter to the pan, then fry the venison over a high heat, stirring now and then, until well browned. Don't crowd the pan - cook in batches if necessary. Set aside with the vegetables.

3 Add the redcurrant jelly and wine to the pan, and bring to the boil, scraping up all the bits that have stuck to the bottom. Pour in the stock, then add the thyme, bay leaf, meat and vegetables. Season if you like and bring to the boil. Cover and transfer to the oven for about 1? hrs or until tender. Remove from the oven and check the seasoning.

And i must say i was well impressed with this, very tasty and filling and you get loads of it which can be frozen if you cannot find 8 folk to eat it, lol but i suspect some might have an extra portion coz it is damn tasty.

daithi
22nd May, 2012, 09:46 PM
id thank you but i cant il try this once the deer season is bback in mate

SIMPLY THE BEST
22nd May, 2012, 11:12 PM
id thank you but i cant il try this once the deer season is bback in mate

Well worth the wait m8, come to Scotland we have deer on tap like Whisky lol

daithi
24th May, 2012, 10:03 PM
Well worth the wait m8, come to Scotland we have deer on tap like Whisky lol

im on my way presume the roe season is in over there lol

NeonRogue
27th September, 2012, 03:45 PM
Tried this, very nice plus some leftovers for work the next day.

bigfella
28th September, 2012, 04:15 PM
got offered 8 legs of vensions , 2 body of vension and two heads of vension for 40 pounds .....i had to turn it down cos it was too dear

mtechno
28th September, 2012, 08:33 PM
Oh dear Bigfella spell check your venison!

Last time I went to my butcher for some venison leg steaks for a recipe I had recently aquired, it turned out they were having a venison day, trying to promote the sale of venison to the public. They were selling raffle tickets for a pound each, for each ticket you could guess the weight of any cut of venison on any of the shelves in the shop on that day. The ticket holder who guessed the weight most accurately by the end of the day, would win that particular cut of venison, it seemed like a great idea at the time.
Unfortunately I couldn't participate in the end

The steaks were too high!

daithi
4th October, 2012, 09:32 PM
cheers for the bump fuds deer season is back in