PDA

View Full Version : Sky multiroom - fitting?

ivrytwr3
27th May, 2012, 07:59 PM
Hey all,

I am looking at getting Sky multiroom but am very worried about how the fitter will fit the cables - the guy who fitted the living room cables made a right mess and took months to sort :(

The second box is going into a bedroom, fortunately the dish is on the wall outside the bedroom albeit the box needs to be at the other side of the room of where the dish is located.

Will the fitter go into the loft, across, and come down directly above where the box needs to be?

Are they allowed in the loft?

If not, how will they fit the cabling?

Thanx!!

cactikid
27th May, 2012, 08:33 PM
if they have to put cables into rooms,options may be drill in outside wall and run cables around skirting board to location or if you wish they could exit from the loft to location,only problem is if you redesign your room cables will still come down from that spot,cable trunking can hide cables if you wish,

barrowmanandrew
27th May, 2012, 08:48 PM
sky installers are not supposed to go into a loft unless it is floored and lit.

if you tell them you are not going ahead with the installation unless the cables are run the way you want, then they will almost certainly do as you ask....

ivrytwr3
27th May, 2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks for that. Bear with me now........

TV is mounted on bedroom wall, to left is ensuite door, to right is entrance/exit to room. Therefore if it came directly into the room, the cable would run along the skirting and then up and around 1 of the door frames (depending which way he breaks off, left or right).

There isn't anywhere else for the TV to go and i don't want to remove it anyway as i have drilled into the wall/plasterboard.

Therefore i think the best option is go into loft, across loft and down directly above the TV and in (there is a dresser underneath the TV i can put the sky box on)

So, in summary, the Sky guy can go into the loft and run the cable that way? And looking at my layout, do you think this is the most sensible option?

(reason i ask is the other half has told me that this had better be a clean job!!)

Thanks for your help.

barrowmanandrew
27th May, 2012, 08:55 PM
well it sounds the easiest way to me,
assuming loft access is ok, i might have done it that way (can't say for absolute certainty without seeing job).but...

something you may not have thought of,

when you get multiroom, SKY absolutely insist on the boxes being connected to the phone line.
that will mean livingroom box (if not already done) and your multiroom box being connected by a phone cable to the nearest phone point(s)..

ivrytwr3
27th May, 2012, 09:11 PM
Yes, i was aware with multiroom. I have bought wireless phone sockets for the multiroom box, not sure how i will get around the main box though at the minute :(

Lastly, is there anything i need to be asking or something that can be done while he is fitting ie i have been told to aske to make sure it is double cable been laid as they usually only lay single cable which will prevent me later from recording should i choose to install a Sky+ box (do i need to pay extra/tip for this request??!!)

Thanks all!

barrowmanandrew
27th May, 2012, 09:24 PM
just tell him to make sure he uses shotgun cable,
tbh he probabaly will. i dont think sly supply the engineers with single cable anymore...

and have a look at your dish, see what condition is it in.

if it looks worse for wear ask for it to be changed.

shouldn't cost extra for any of that, all part of a standerd installation.

digicon
28th May, 2012, 01:43 AM
I highly doubt you will get any Sky installer in a loft at all, for one as mentioned it has to be boarded and also you have to have fixed loft ladders from the access hatch, Step ladders will not do. And even if you do have the mentioned ladder/Boarding then is there not a good chance that where you want the cable run going to go through the board or even worse if its close to an adjacent wall then you have your support beam also to think about.

Personally if you want the job done correctly and no mess you have 2 options either A: call out a private firm to Run cable and Drill etc.. or B: do it yourself then when the guy turns up you just say run the cable into the loft and you feed it in your self to where ever your having it installed.

gracieboo
28th May, 2012, 08:07 PM
If you have a electrical socket in your loft you can leave your skybox up there and run a cable from the rf2 output to the tv and use a digi eye on top of the tv set to change the channels. Then you mightn,t be as restricted as to where the tv has to go with skybox underneath.

manxspud
28th May, 2012, 08:18 PM
If the sky guy wont go in the loft (and i doubt he will unless fixed stairs and fully boarded out) you can always go up there yourself and let him pass the cable through the wall to you ect

bloodscrap
29th May, 2012, 12:05 AM
Going off my experience with any of the fitters for any thing you buy they tend to go the shortest and easiest route and dont care what gets in the way. So I would go with what Digicon suggests! 1) Get someone in to do it for you thats a private firm 2) do it yourself

Im going back a few years now but when I had cable fitted the guy was like a gorilla in a china shop when fitting it and I could have done it myself but they wouldnt let me. Then when I moved Sky insisted on coming and fitting the thing up and that guy was like a whole pride of gorillas in a china shop! Huge chunk taken out of the wall, cable unsecured properly... ripped the carpet up and didnt repair it. A right mess so I had to do it again myself once he had buggered off! If I had paid for it I would have sued them.

ivrytwr3
30th May, 2012, 02:15 PM
OK, Sky installed today!! Yes, the guy would not go in the loft, but did drill the loft wall, passed the cable throuhg to me and i driled my ceiling, passing the cable down to him - nice fit.

A couple more questions!!

He fitted a Sky+ in the living room and a standard box for multiroom. I have my old Sky+ box, can i now fit that in place of the standard box (the multiroom one)

Many thanks for all your help guys!

RuberDuck
30th May, 2012, 02:45 PM
OK, Sky installed today!! Yes, the guy would not go in the loft, but did drill the loft wall, passed the cable throuhg to me and i driled my ceiling, passing the cable down to him - nice fit.

A couple more questions!!

He fitted a Sky+ in the living room and a standard box for multiroom. I have my old Sky+ box, can i now fit that in place of the standard box (the multiroom one)

Many thanks for all your help guys!

yes but you will need to pair the card in the new standard box to your old sky+ box.

Manic01
30th May, 2012, 02:46 PM
Yes, just call sky to get the card matched to new receiver.
Also make sure they activate sky+ for you.
You will need 2 cables to rec and watch diff channels or just 1 to rec what you are watching.

ivrytwr3
30th May, 2012, 02:48 PM
Do i need to wait, or can i just call today?

Manic01
30th May, 2012, 03:03 PM
Do straight away, they do not mind.

ivrytwr3
30th May, 2012, 04:25 PM
i seem to have done it myself online. The box data states its paired with the correct card - oh well, many thanks for all your help!!

Manic01
30th May, 2012, 04:29 PM
Does the rec facility work?
Can you see premium channels ok?

wrong card for Set top box***8221;

You may see this message if:

The Viewing card has not been paired to the Set top box.
The Viewing card was not inserted properly when your card was paired.
You change or purchase a new set top box.
The Viewing card has been inserted into the wrong set top box.

ivrytwr3
30th May, 2012, 05:10 PM
Damn it!! No i can't record!!!

And the message wrong card this set box!

Bah!

ivrytwr3
30th May, 2012, 05:34 PM
Just rang Sky and they told me it showed 1 Sky+ box and 1 standard box. They have added the 2nd Sky+ box for me and it now records.

Blimey!!!

But thanks all!