PDA

View Full Version : Virginmedia treated me with contempt

clem58
28th May, 2012, 11:10 PM
A couple of weeks ago i had put up a few posts regarding my internet speed and the buffering problems i was having whenever i took my laptop into another room, that despite having 30mg as well as the newly boasted superhub.

Anyway i phoned virginmedia's help line and to cut a long story short I'll tell you i have no shame in saying that i have very little knowledge of internet connections. I'm sure a lot of you know what should or does happen whenever the guy or gal takes control of you PC to do the needful. I was very impressed with what this person could do . He seemed very helpful and told me what he was doing, that i was happy about , because it gave a air of cofidence in the you feel is helping you. Among the things he told was the fact that i was share
ing a signal with eleven other people in my street alone. He told me that i was now on a signal of my own , he also asked me how many devices i might be using, i told him as many as seven. I was told that that was now adjusted. After all that he told me never to listen to the rumours online about virgin superhub (despite i never said I'd anything about any rumours) that these people never bother to ring virginmedia.

That evening things where as they were before i phoned. I was then toying with the idea of disconnection, at the same time not wanting to be arsed sorting out a new provider.

Well my MACA58 advised me to change the settings myself (advice he gave me before i rang virgin to complain). I took his advice after i rang virginmedia. So i waited for my son in law to come up and have a look. He arrived this evening went into the routre to have a look and what do you know IT WAS SET AT DEFAULT HAD NEVER BEEN TOUCHED. He changed my settings to no more than 10 devices he also fixed so that whenever i try to connect or stream i am not sharing a signal that maybe dozens or even 100s maybe using, but the best possible link. . In fact i thinks he's also sorted what should have been done long ago.

I think these people fed me a line and have asked them on many occasions why they think telling people lies creates confidence in them. I'm Some what disgusted .

Any way i plan to stream a movie around midnight , i will let you know if i had any problems. I suspect i might not. FORE WARNED IS FORE ARMED.

Take heed.

nibblitz
28th May, 2012, 11:33 PM
Why dont you try using the 5ghz wifi frequency on the router, it suffers far less interference...You got to realise, 2.4ghz wifi shares the same frequency ranges to that of dect phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, wireless video senders, so all that noise from the such devices will be a major problem the further from your router you go..

If your laptop doesnt have a 5ghz capable wifi card then you can buy one for less than 20 quid..

When I used to use 2.4ghz wifi I too couldnt go into another room without the wifi connection being shockingly bad.. Now on 5ghz frquency I can go anywhere in the house or even the back garden and the signal is constant and strong all the time..

zee24
29th May, 2012, 02:01 AM
By the way try ringing up virgin again and ask them to double your speed to 60mg, they are doubling everyones for free, but looks like you have to ring them before they do it as they have to send out an engineer. If your getting 30meg you may not need an engineer to come out.

I was on 10 meg for a while until last November 2011 when i changed to 20meg i wanted 30 but couldnt afford it at the time. Anyway i rang them up last week to see if I could get 30 meg now the guy told me they are doubling everyones speed anyway and they dnt do 20meg no more the minimum is 30meg so mines getting doubled to 60meg for free and will be still charged the same price i was paying a month for 20meg.

So enquire ring them up

clem58
29th May, 2012, 03:16 AM
Why dont you try using the 5ghz wifi frequency on the router, it suffers far less interference...You got to realise, 2.4ghz wifi shares the same frequency ranges to that of dect phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, wireless video senders, so all that noise from the such devices will be a major problem the further from your router you go..

If your laptop doesnt have a 5ghz capable wifi card then you can buy one for less than 20 quid..

When I used to use 2.4ghz wifi I too couldnt go into another room without the wifi connection being shockingly bad.. Now on 5ghz frquency I can go anywhere in the house or even the back garden and the signal is constant and strong all the time..

I'll ask him if that is the setting he set it to , i think he did.:top:

clem58
29th May, 2012, 03:26 AM
By the way try ringing up virgin again and ask them to double your speed to 60mg, they are doubling everyones for free, but looks like you have to ring them before they do it as they have to send out an engineer. If your getting 30meg you may not need an engineer to come out.

I was on 10 meg for a while until last November 2011 when i changed to 20meg i wanted 30 but couldnt afford it at the time. Anyway i rang them up last week to see if I could get 30 meg now the guy told me they are doubling everyones speed anyway and they dnt do 20meg no more the minimum is 30meg so mines getting doubled to 60meg for free and will be still charged the same price i was paying a month for 20meg.

So enquire ring them up

They replaced my routre a year ago. the day i rang them to disconnect my service unless they gave me a better deal. They made me an offer of ?35. for weekend calls and 60mg bb. So when i informed them that I'd be paying for a bb speed i didn't have at present,he told me it was already up graded due to me having superhub. I told him to leave it at 20mg and to let the upgrade be installed at same time as my nieghbours , he said it couldn't be done. So i am om 30mg for ?28. Still , i think i was conned. So if any of you guys think i was kippered up let me know and i will sack the gits.:top:

clem58
29th May, 2012, 03:34 AM

I'll show him this post and he will be able to decide if it might improve my service. I can't honestly say if that was what he changed the settings to. THANKU:top:

clem58
29th May, 2012, 03:44 AM
As i said i would report back to you earlier. I streamed a vid from noobroom. Maybe its down to the different servers but after a bit of buffering from certain vids, i was able to stream without any interference what so ever. And loading pages a lot better. But the proof will be in the pudding when others in their rooms use their pc'x at same time as me. That said i live in a bungalow so its only a few steps to my living room. Thats why i get winned up about slow network. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOR POSTS.:beer:

zee24
29th May, 2012, 03:57 AM
Just ring em up and enquire, they are doubling speeds in most areas they even had adverts about it, im paying ?27 a month for 20meg which they are going to give me 60meg come the weekend and i'll still be paying ?27. I don't get a phone line from virgin just bb

m9g
29th May, 2012, 07:23 AM
Just ring em up and enquire, they are doubling speeds in most areas they even had adverts about it, im paying ?27 a month for 20meg which they are going to give me 60meg come the weekend and i'll still be paying ?27. I don't get a phone line from virgin just bb

If you go to their website and put in your postcode you can see when the double up is happening in your area, they think its going to take 18 months to complete everyone. I'm on 30meg and due for the upgrade in July

clem58
29th May, 2012, 01:15 PM
But they already told me that due to me having the new super hub ,my broadband was already at 60mg. I They where charging me for it or i could drop down to 30mg for a cheaper price. So don't think i will be goin up to 60 at any time unless i pay. But, if any of my nieghbours tell me or any of you tell me your going from 20 to 60 , then i will disconnect them.

m9g
29th May, 2012, 03:07 PM
But they already told me that due to me having the new super hub ,my broadband was already at 60mg. I They where charging me for it or i could drop down to 30mg for a cheaper price. So don't think i will be goin up to 60 at any time unless i pay. But, if any of my nieghbours tell me or any of you tell me your going from 20 to 60 , then i will disconnect them.

Yep deffo going from 30 to 60 for free, those on 60meg now will eventually be going to 100meg

I had 50meg with them for a while and saw a slight improvement on downloads i.e a film taking 6 minutes on 30meg took 4 minutes on 50meg, i didnt see the extra couple of minutes would make that much difference in my life but the huge extra cost did

zee24
29th May, 2012, 06:51 PM
Yeah the guy from virgin was telling me that once the engineer comes with the superhub i have to ring them or get the engineer to do it so they can configure the hub to run 60meg speeds because apparantly the hubs are made to run 100meg default. Lets see what the engineer says coz quite a few of them are right dodgy that will leave you getting more speeds.

With some you can bung them a few quid and they give you faster connections or give you some good advice, and some also sell these sat boxes.

clem58
30th May, 2012, 01:39 AM
To- day i got a flyer stating 60mg free eve wk end call 75 channels.?25. a mth. I got 30mg with wk end calls. ?28. a mth.these guys have to go. ring em thursday.

m9g
30th May, 2012, 07:45 AM
To- day i got a flyer stating 60mg free eve wk end call 75 channels.?25. a mth. I got 30mg with wk end calls. ?28. a mth.these guys have to go. ring em thursday.

You wont get better than VM, I was fed up with them a couple of years ago and went over to sky, had it all installed, lasted 3 days, had it all ripped out and back with VM. Vm transmit HD at full 1080p where sky can only achieve 720p, I pay for 30meg BB and get on average 31meg and everywhere else you wont get anywhere near that on adsl (phone line) thats why others advertise UPTO because they know you wont get it.

Ring VM tell them your concerns they will try and improve your package, you have to catch them right tho' as each sales person has a daily quota of discounts they can give, so one day you might ring and they say no we cant do anything, its because they have used up their quota and then you could ring the next day and get a nice surpise of a discount or free upgrade.

You WILL miss VM if you leave

Shady
30th May, 2012, 08:08 AM
. Vm transmit HD at 1080i where sky can only achieve 1080i,

fixed it for you. :)

No channels are transmitted at 1080p by ANY broadcaster.

young
30th May, 2012, 09:26 AM
Well i'm leaving after months and months of phone calls 2 new modems and loads of hassle the 50mg broadband i'm paying for, i'm still not getting, more like 12mg on a good day.some days its no better than dialup(and i'm not joking)for the last 10 or so times i rang up they have said theres a fault in my area since october thats the problem.. haha bye bye virgin

m9g
30th May, 2012, 11:19 AM
fixed it for you. :)

No channels are transmitted at 1080p by ANY broadcaster.

Not according to a virgin engineer

Shady
30th May, 2012, 11:20 AM
and theyre the most trustworthy of souls arent they?

Smubbly
30th May, 2012, 12:18 PM
I might try the 5Ghz option !

m9g
30th May, 2012, 01:15 PM
and theyre the most trustworthy of souls arent they?

Yeah why not, from experience picture quality is better on vm so i have no reason to dis-believe them

Everyone has their own experiences with vm and they wont please all of the people all of the time, i'm just saying although over the years i have had a couple of niggles with them but over all i think they provide a good service, my opinion

Shady
30th May, 2012, 02:15 PM
but the thing is, whether you're happy or not, whoever told you that virgin transmits at 1080p is either mistaken or a bare faced liar

cunny
30th May, 2012, 02:38 PM
I aint heard of any broadcaster transmitting 1080p. These engineers told you. Mmmm like shady said trustworthy folks. Wanted to see my motorised setup last time 1 came to our house.

At op. If your streamin over wireless you can get problems. All depends how strong uoir signal is ect. And ive hearx these hubs are crap with wireless. Cant wait to get my hub now

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

clem58
30th May, 2012, 09:30 PM
Well i'm leaving after months and months of phone calls 2 new modems and loads of hassle the 50mg broadband i'm paying for, i'm still not getting, more like 12mg on a good day.some days its no better than dialup(and i'm not joking)for the last 10 or so times i rang up they have said theres a fault in my area since october thats the problem.. haha bye bye virgin

good to see that their bad service aint effecting their pocket. In the need to boost profits after nag3 they forgettin customer care. They greedy b######s

clem58
30th May, 2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah why not, from experience picture quality is better on vm so i have no reason to dis-believe them

Everyone has their own experiences with vm and they wont please all of the people all of the time, i'm just saying although over the years i have had a couple of niggles with them but over all i think they provide a good service, my opinion

I'm comin to live with you move over. lol . i have never ever ever had a descent service from these people. Any time i think i gettin a fair shake, up pops someone will a bill that shows i'm still worse off. The internet is the only thing that keeps me hangin on, from what i hear it better than any of em. Just want they sayin i payin for .:call2:

clem58
30th May, 2012, 09:40 PM
I aint heard of any broadcaster transmitting 1080p. These engineers told you. Mmmm like shady said trustworthy folks. Wanted to see my motorised setup last time 1 came to our house.

At op. If your streamin over wireless you can get problems. All depends how strong uoir signal is ect. And ive hearx these hubs are crap with wireless. Cant wait to get my hub now

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Are you sayin vigin wanted to see what your entertainment set up is? really. What about ur knicker drawer they wanna look see in there too?

m9g
30th May, 2012, 09:45 PM
I'm comin to live with you move over. lol . i have never ever ever had a descent service from these people. Any time i think i gettin a fair shake, up pops someone will a bill that shows i'm still worse off. The internet is the only thing that keeps me hangin on, from what i hear it better than any of em. Just want they sayin i payin for .:call2:

More than welcome too, come on down :)

clem58
31st May, 2012, 01:48 AM
Would a wifi extender improve performance in other parts of the house and put an end to buffering while streaming.. later to day i'm gonna put routre in hall which runs through middle of the bungalow. If this don't work are there any other devices available that would do the job?

briangoo
31st May, 2012, 07:20 PM
hi i got a new wireless vm router when my old not wireless 1 packed up & i ain't shiting you 25ft away from it & its stuffed but my old peak wireless router sender thats plugged into vm router transmits all over my house no bother to 2 xbox & 2 netbooks :alberteinstein::alberteinstein::alberteinstein::j iggin::jiggin::jiggin::jiggin:

clem58
31st May, 2012, 10:09 PM
hi i got a new wireless vm router when my old not wireless 1 packed up & i ain't shiting you 25ft away from it & its stuffed but my old peak wireless router sender thats plugged into vm router transmits all over my house no bother to 2 xbox & 2 netbooks :alberteinstein::alberteinstein::alberteinstein::j iggin::jiggin::jiggin::jiggin:

If the sun comes up 2moro i'll move the routre to see if it improves the reception. Bugger all else will. Virgin guy did say he would replace it if i wasn't happy. reception ok everywhere else just not my b/room. The walls are about a ft thick. between my n living room there are 2 walls. I'm not keen on routre being in hall, i have a 2yr old gran kid who likes to fix things, whether they need it or not.