PDA

View Full Version : VW Sharan 1.9 PDTDI hot start

VTS_Tibi
31st May, 2012, 09:06 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a 2004 Sharan 1.9 PD-TDI here with a 130hp engine. Engine code: ASZ.

In-tank fuel pump has been replaced, all sensors OK, but it's really difficult to start the car when the engine is warm. If I disconnect the coolant temperature sensor, attach a variable resistor to the wiring, and set the temperature to something low, like 20?C, the engine starts immediately.

A local guy said he is able to do it, but thereafter the temperature gauge on the instrument cluster will read a LOT lower than it would normally... :hmmmm2: I think this is a really bad way to solve it...

Could someone do this properly? If so, I'll post the readout from the ECU :)

Regards,

Tibi

ecutuners
31st May, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hi mate it's easy job post file

Youneselm
1st June, 2012, 02:58 AM
do you have vcds ands login?
login in ecu
adaptions
channel 1: with steps off 5 easy
than save.
job done

VTS_Tibi
2nd June, 2012, 07:52 AM
Tried with VCDS, but there's no channel 01 at the adaptations, only channel 02, but adjusting that made no difference to the hot starting behaviour!

So, I've attached the dump from the ECU. Could someone please fix the hot start issue for me? (and also please correct the checksum) :)

ecutuners
2nd June, 2012, 08:14 AM
file here mate

miha99
2nd June, 2012, 07:43 PM
Before you enter to adaptions hidden chanels you need login 12233 code.

VTS_Tibi
3rd June, 2012, 10:08 AM
file here mate

Tried your file Mate, but unfortunately it has made no real difference :(

So as the Vag-Com channel 01 modification. With the "12233" I'm now able to modify the ratio, but eventhough I've tried to adjust from the lower to the highest number it has made no real difference... Only a bit of black smoke after start.

The car starts reasonably well up to around 70?C. Above that it takes 7-8 turns to start. When the engine is cold this takes 0,5-1 turns.

bondiblu
3rd June, 2012, 02:44 PM
This should do the Job, set to work in Coding 2 (FWD).

I edit, Start IQ different to some people, but for me this has worked.

spawns3
3rd June, 2012, 03:09 PM
In this engine even if we change the start maps is not enougth , if the car have battery or starter problems .

bondiblu
3rd June, 2012, 03:13 PM
In this engine even if we change the start maps is not enougth , if the car have battery or starter problems .
Correct, editing IQ start map tends to mask the actual problem, but sometimes a good temporary solution in my opinion.

VTS_Tibi
3rd June, 2012, 05:16 PM
Even with a second battery the car starts the same... And the weird thing is that in cold it starts for the first turn, but when the engine is warm it is struggling. Maybe compression problem?

bondiblu
3rd June, 2012, 06:13 PM
I would remove and clean the main earth (to chassis near battery), battery and solenoid connections first, make sure all the connections are tight. I have also seen it when the starter motor is at fault, even when it appears fault free.

arvedo
3rd June, 2012, 07:05 PM
hello can you have to put in box ecu is automatic because it has more rpm, I've heard in some forums and it works

miha99
3rd June, 2012, 08:25 PM
In this case coding to automatic wont help, somethimes PD injector can make a problem when engine is warm.

spawns3
3rd June, 2012, 08:39 PM
Mate try this , Start maps change in Manual and automatic. IF tyhis don't work u have some problems with battery or starter.

:wink:

VTS_Tibi
3rd June, 2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I can only try the latest file when the car will be back here.

I've loaded up the dump of bondiblu, and it seemed to improve things. I think further problems lie within the fuel system. Either in the high pressure pump, or in the cylinder head.

When I stop the car when the engine is warm, and then try to restart it within 1-2 minutes it starts reasonably well. But if I wait 15-20 mins. it is strugling a bit. Just like if fuel would disapper from the high pressure fuel channels in the cylinder head.

ghostridersa
3rd June, 2012, 09:20 PM
I have had this very same problem many many many time with hot start on these vehicles and every time the hot start problem has been the starter. When the engine is hot the starter breaks down when the brushes are worn and draws just enough current away to make the vehicle not start. Just take the starter off and check it and report.

ghostridersa
3rd June, 2012, 09:21 PM
The starter is very easy to remove.

gytomi08
7th January, 2013, 07:35 PM
hello guys
That car can not go wrong with the starter motor
good cold
hot bad
I also Avensis d4d for a month because it
Example: dirty, close
Sorry for the bad language

VTS_Tibi
7th January, 2013, 08:31 PM
hello guys
That car can not go wrong with the starter motor
good cold
hot bad
I also Avensis d4d for a month because it
Example: dirty, close
Sorry for the bad language

Could you please write it down in hungarian so I could properly translate it to the guys? :)

Le tudn?d ?rni magyarul hogy leford?tsam a sr?coknak :)

leaserhu
7th January, 2013, 08:55 PM
Letudn?m, ha tudn?m mit akarok ?rni :-)