PDA

View Full Version : set up 2 HDDs in PC

mr.mojorisin
31st May, 2012, 07:13 PM
I have 2 Hdds which I'd like to try and set up together in my PC.
HDD 1 is a Maxtor Diamondmax 300GB - SATA
HDD 2 is a Seagate Barracuda 300 GB - SATA

HDD 1 is currently being used with Win 7 as my O/S
HDD 2 is empty

My mobo has enough SATA slots so can I set this up to use HDD 1 as my O/S and HDD 2 as a place to save all my music,pics,videos etc ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

happy_highlander
31st May, 2012, 07:26 PM
I have 2 Hdds which I'd like to try and set up together in my PC.
HDD 1 is a Maxtor Diamondmax 300GB - SATA
HDD 2 is a Seagate Barracuda 300 GB - SATA

HDD 1 is currently being used with Win 7 as my O/S
HDD 2 is empty

My mobo has enough SATA slots so can I set this up to use HDD 1 as my O/S and HDD 2 as a place to save all my music,pics,videos etc ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Plug it in, job done

ray156
31st May, 2012, 07:42 PM
as happy_highlander (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/196489-happy_highlander/) says,just put drive 2 in a slot secure it,plug it up with power and sata,restart pc,windows will do the rest,ie drive 1 c/drive-drive 2 d/drive,after that it just a matter of making folders for your files,music-pictures-movies etc etc,and just send everything to them,i do same,c/drive is just for operating system.

mr.mojorisin
31st May, 2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.
I'll try this next week as I'm on an old PC waiting for a new PSU to arrive for my main PC
Cheers

ray156
31st May, 2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.
I'll try this next week as I'm on an old PC waiting for a new PSU to arrive for my main PC
Cheers
just an afterthought-put 1st drive windows drive in sata 1 port,and slave drive backup drive in sata port 2,then any other drives ie dvd writer etc,in other sata ports after those,depends how many sata ports board has,mine has 4 sata ports.but have 3 hdd and 3 dvd writer.so had to use 2 dvd writer external.

Canker_Canison
1st June, 2012, 01:50 PM
I have the same setup on my PC.

Another thing you can do is redirect the default file for your documents, music, videos, etc in the My Documents area.

As previously mentioned, on the second drive, create folders for Downloads, Documents, Music, Photos & Videos.

I'm assuming that the second drive is given E:\ as it's drive letter.

Downloads... Right click on the downloads link in windows explorer. Go to properties & change the drive letter & file name to match the new drive.
i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads

changes to E:\Downloads

All other links (Documents, Photos, videos, music) are changed by adding a location.

Right click the Music link & go to properties.
In the first big box it shows the current setup. Below that click add location > Browse... Than find & select the Music folder on the E: drive.
After doing this highlight the 'E:\Music' location you just added & then click the default save location button. A tick should now be seen next to the 'E:\Music' entry.

Do the same with the Documents, Video & Photos links. Now you don't even have to think about the second drive, everything will be saved there & accessed as if you had one drive.