PDA

View Full Version : multiple boot help

kevfield
3rd June, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hi guys , can anyone help me with this i am trying to do? , what i need is some software that will let me boot multiple windows xp systems but always working from c: eg: 4 paritition with xp on all 4 and all classed as c drive but need to select witch one i want to boot from at start up of the pc .

Thanks in advanced

kev

m9g
3rd June, 2012, 05:56 PM
I would think you could just create 4 partitions, run the xp install disc and install into each partition, on creation of the other partitions it will tag them with different drive letters but upon booting into them it should call it C: - you will also have access to the other partitions from any of the xp's you install.

Cant see why this wouldnt work, i dual boot with 7 and xp so would think its the same

kevfield
3rd June, 2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the reply so do both xp an 7 on your pc have a c: drive?

Thanks kev

ray156
3rd June, 2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the reply so do both xp an 7 on your pc have a c: drive?

Thanks kev
one thing you aint gonna get is multi operating systems saying c/drive,you can partition the drive and put multi on it,but it will come up in my computer as,C.D.E.F.but when you boot up pc.it will give you an option which O/S to boot from.i think you should go here and have a read.

How to create a multiple-boot system in Windows XP

How to create a multiple-boot system in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306559)

kevfield
3rd June, 2012, 07:52 PM
Ok thanks, i can make multi boot with differnt OS that bits easy but i need it as tho it thinks each OS is on its own c: drive , i think some sort of boot manager in DOS or something like that .

Thanks kev

rg66
4th June, 2012, 08:28 AM
When you boot into one if them it will show that system as C: drive.

Always install oldest first as in XP and newest last as in Win7 and linux should be after that if you want that as well.

If installing Win7 as well, download Easybcd (http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/) to customize the boot selection screen.