PDA

View Full Version : Key cutting machine

sparkz02
5th June, 2012, 06:33 PM
I'm looking to purchase a key cutting machine but its very hard to find info in whats good and whats not to good.

What would you guys recommend, I know the A5 miracle is quite popular at the moment. But is there any cheaper alternatives to start off with?

I know I will need a tibbe cutter. Fords etc.

leandroks
5th June, 2012, 10:26 PM
r u lookin g foir an automatic or a simple one/??

Atex31
5th June, 2012, 11:44 PM
Hi Sparkz,

I looked at the Miracle A5, it is an ok machine for cutting to code at the roadside, but not heavy duty enough to use as a main shop machine.

I have bought 4 key machines so far this year, 3D keys in Nottingham have some lower cost machines including the Hurricane laser machine and a budget An San Ford Tibbe machine, worth checking the used section at SKS too.

I was lucky to find a used Curtis Ford Tibbe machine, there are a lot of businesses going bust at the moment so keep checking Gum Tree.

I have the Hurricane laser machine and find it really simple to use for a start up.

The Curtis Tibbe machine took some getting used to, now I wouldn't swap it for any other Tibbe machine.

For cylinder keys I use an Ilco Rygel which I picked up for a third of its new price, it is a very well made machine and cuts a nice key.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

pianoman58
6th June, 2012, 12:30 AM
If you don't have a machine and this is your first, you won't be cutting that many keys each day, so go for the A5 with a tibbe attachment, It may not be the fastest machine around but it really doesn't matter if it takes a minute or so longer than the bigger and more expensive machines. For around 4 grand you won't get a better machine to learn with. I got one 18 months ago and its been a good investment.
The only car keys i can't cut are the oldchubb ford keys also on black cabs and LDV vans, because i didn't buy the attachment, Ive only been asked once for those keys in all that time.
For everything else its been fine, and MOST importantly the back up and support is TOP CLASS. The guy has the patience of a saint, even with an absolute beginner like i was.

darrenhyland
6th June, 2012, 12:45 AM
i started with a hpc switch blitz with the tibbe attachment which i got on gumtree for 800 quid and i got a chinky laser duplicator for 450 quid......all make me good money but i am holding out for the miracle a7 which is due for release later this month, so dont buy until it is released as the a5 will drop in price.

dontzapit
6th June, 2012, 06:43 AM
STAY AWAY from laser security's 3D Pro Machine, there customer support is absolutely terrible, they have the worst service in the whole entire world and you will need support with this machine so choose something else because they wont care less about you :guns::guns::guns: Hope this helps someone from making the same mistake as I did buying this machine

Atex31
6th June, 2012, 12:24 PM
Hi,

I hope there is no confusion with 3D keys in Nottingham, they have superb support and technical back up for everything they sell, I buy from them daily :)

@ Pianoman, just out of interest, which company did you buy your A5 from, was it Lock Decoders (Peter Coulson)?

sparkz02
6th June, 2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the reviews guys, @ Atek, with the Hurricane do you have cut to code option, believe I saw on hickleys they have that as an option.
@ Darren thanks for the news of the A7, I'll get something smaller to start off with give it a few months when A5 drops I'll get one.

darrenhyland
7th June, 2012, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the reviews guys, @ Atek, with the Hurricane do you have cut to code option, believe I saw on hickleys they have that as an option.
@ Darren thanks for the news of the A7, I'll get something smaller to start off with give it a few months when A5 drops I'll get one.
Sparkz mate i deal with hickleys all the time and i find them great for support aswell as SKS...both are excellent for one to one help......sit on the fence for a while and hopefully you will get the deal u want:proud:

pianoman58
7th June, 2012, 01:08 AM
@ atex31: Yes i bought from Lockdecoders,, Its their machine