PDA

View Full Version : how to create a wireless bridge?

Digger
8th May, 2008, 11:25 PM
hi all, i have a netgear wgr614v9 and i have it setup in my attic and its wireless around the house for my laptop and i touch and ps3 and all is great, but i want to try and create a wireless bridge downstairs in the office so i can plugin my printer and dreambox. i was given a dg834g by a friend and tried to do a wirelss bridge but to no avail, so is it possible to do this, r do i need 2 new routers r one new router and if so which one do i need to replace. i know its long but any help wud be brilliant, thanx...

Devilfish
9th May, 2008, 12:25 AM
I've done some reading for you and from what I can gather, the dg834g (http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/?action=h_view&model_id=136) can't be used as a bridge...but it can be used as an access point which is pretty much the same thing.

Seems like all you do is turn off DHCP (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/552188.html) which disables the modem. You still have wireless connectivity so can connect devices to it to make them wireless.

Maybe you'll do a better job of searching that I did lol but at least it's something for you to go on. :)

zap
13th May, 2008, 11:53 PM
The dg834g is a adsl modem (from looking on the web), this is very similar to your other wireless router doubt if you can link the two together as a bridge. You want a wireless adapter that you can attach your devices to, the wgps606 allows printers to be connected and linked to an exisiting wireless network. Woudl assume there must be something similar for other devices that are not capable of having a wireless card but can plug into an ethernet port. Good Luck.

caveman_nige
15th May, 2008, 12:54 PM
Get one of these mate, or something very similar, very easy to set up. The one i bought was from Ebuyer and only had one antennae but was up and running in under 15mins.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?F5D7330UK

I guess you know this stuff already though... just though i would throw in my 10pence worth.

MurphyMt
9th March, 2010, 09:47 PM
Hi Guy's

I was trying to do the same thing :0

But guess what I succeeded :)

I have a 2 netgear routers (DG834G and WGR614v9) 1 ADSL and the other network / cable.

The DG834G has both bridging and repeater function.
The WGR614v9 just had a repeating function.

I had setup the DG834G as master in (Repeater with Wireless Client Association) function
and the WGR614v9 in Wireless repeating function.

My DG834G and WGR614v9 was upgraded to the latest firmware version. I don't know if this it required but it worked to get me up and running.

I had set the SSID - Region - and Mode - security disabled on the wireless, the same on both routers. the setup is one router that does both wireless repeating and bridge and the other just wireless repeating. The master has DHCP enabled were you disable that on the repeater router. And I had to set the channel to be the same.

And after that my repeater router connected :) and my PC behind the wireless slave could access the rest of the network over wireless and the network could access him. thus a bridge mode setup with not both devices supporting bridged mode.

It can be done don't believe the nutter from the ASK web site :)

KARDELEN
10th March, 2010, 10:29 PM
thanks......