PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 Failure rate

666lucifer666
27th January, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hello trying to get some info about failure percentage of ps3s . I purchased one when they first came out , but after two years hard gaming my ps3 bricked (got the yellow light of death). Having feared my warrenty had expired after one year i rang Sony and they replaced it with a brand new one free.Anyway i seen on youtube the fail rate is 0.02%.Maybe i was one of the unlucky ones .Anyone else had the same problem ??????

C64
27th January, 2009, 09:15 PM
Mine had a habit of locking up but nothing serious.

robc11
27th January, 2009, 09:51 PM
Yep i was one of the unlucky ones mine gave me the YLOD after 18months and it was out of warranty. Luckily Sony sent me a refurbished model out but my copy of COD:WAW was stuck inside and im still waiting for them to get it out then post it back to me lol

macjst35
27th January, 2009, 11:19 PM
No probs here since first released (touch wood ) sounds like sony's support is good happy gaming etc :guns:

Ryan
28th January, 2009, 01:19 AM
I've never had a problem with my PS3 since I got it, other than simple bugs that once reported to Sony, were fixed in the next update.

Priesy
30th January, 2009, 02:24 PM
I'm on my second one
Bricked during an update
Sony are very good when it comes to customer service though
and I had my first one replaced even though it was 14 months old

dazza78
3rd February, 2009, 08:41 PM
never had any probs with mine
hope i aint just jinxed myself lol

Lanxman
3rd February, 2009, 08:43 PM
never had any probs with mine
hope i aint just jinxed myself lol

Same here mate, lol
btw you can enter your ps3 gamer tag on your profile. :)

Cable Baron
14th February, 2009, 02:15 PM
I had a hard drive failure when the ps3 was 14 months old. i simply bought a new one, which i was going to do anyway as i wanted to increase the size. the ps3 simply formatted the hard drive and it worked perfect. No more problems since then.

fdoodle
20th February, 2009, 09:18 PM
:hello:Hi everyone first time posting........ after having my PS3 for a month while playing Rainbow Six Vegas the tv would go blank for a bit then come back on usually at a vital part of the game. After reading loads of forums i was convinced there was a major problem with overheating and various other things but i ended up swapping my HDMI lead and problem solved, still don't quite understand why it happened because the lead wasn't being knocked about and it tended to happen after playing for a while.
Only other problems i've had is when installing new updates for the games it sometimes freezes and have to switch it off with the switch at the rear cos the PS3 wouldn't respond to the control pad.
All that said i think the ps3 is amazing and my only real problem with it is i only have the 40gb version thats all that was available at the time.

Raven
22nd February, 2009, 02:01 AM
I love my PS3 me, I think they're fantastic! :) Easy worth the money....I've not had no problems with mine except my pad charger being awfully temperamental but that's just a loose wire or something but it's still a pain as you can imagine lol. No serious issues though I've never had a problem with updates or overheating components or anything like that....I have had the odd crash however when I first set the console up and used it extensively but that is a rare occurance in the first place and it doesn't seem to do it at all now.

JasonTopHat
4th March, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hi,

I have had my PS3 for 2 years now (60Gb but now 320Gb HDD). It has been used on average 24hrs a week, not just me using it.

I have only had one friend brick their PS3 (@ about 12 months old) and know at least 20 friends with PS3's.

So it appears to be a little more reliable than the XBox360 was at launch. (Maybe Sony do learn from others mistakes!!).

Happy Gaming,

Jason

fdoodle
7th March, 2009, 02:43 PM
Well I must have jinxed myself on 20th Feb with my last post as PS3 has the so called yellow light of death. It was working fine I downloaded the Wanted demo and after getting through part of it the PS3 switched itself off, I switched it back on and then it restored the hard drive but then switched off again. I managed to eject a dvd that was in it but it won/t actually turn on any more. When I power on the light sequence is green and then yellow and then off. Gutted don't know where I stand with my paid for downloads. I do have insurance with Game I'll keep you all posted with what happens.

666lucifer666
7th March, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hi Fdoodle
Just ring Sony up and they will replace with a new one , also the downloaded content you have purchased you will still be able to retrieve it from the downloaded management icon.Sony keep record of everything you purchased:wink:

Raven
8th March, 2009, 12:35 AM
Sorry to hear that 666lucifer666, I'd be well and truly gutted if my PS3 bricked suddenly lol.

As with any electrics such as this, they can fail at any moment as that's their nature - however apparently the PS3 is known to be a very stable machine, alot more stable/durable than the 360 if people are to be taken at their word.

However I've no reason to doubt the PS3 in terms of reliability unlike the 360 because I honestly believe that I don't even need to explain in terms of the 360's reliability since I know many people including myself who have had more than one 360 in the last year or two, some people have had multiple 360's in that time. You don't need me to tell you that is shockingly bad reliability for a games console even at it's current pricing.

jetsada
8th March, 2009, 10:35 PM
No problems with mine aside from it doesn't seem to play DVDs, just end up with it freezing on a black screen & having to hard power it off. Both me and my boss get this, anyone else had a similar problem?

fdoodle
9th March, 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks 666lucifer666 i will give them a ring and hopefully all will be well!!!
(http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/29776-666lucifer666/)

twizzlemenizzle
16th March, 2009, 02:01 PM
Ive bought a 40 gigger from HMV in November 2007, that stopped reading discs within a fortnight, they replaced it and I had the same problem two weeks after the warranty ran out in November 2008. Constant problems with overheating and noisy fan syndrome. Luckily they replaced that with an 80 gigger and Ive had no problems with this one yet.

jeffo1985
18th March, 2009, 09:37 PM
Hello trying to get some info about failure percentage of ps3s . I purchased one when they first came out , but after two years hard gaming my ps3 bricked (got the yellow light of death). Having feared my warrenty had expired after one year i rang Sony and they replaced it with a brand new one free.Anyway i seen on youtube the fail rate is 0.02%.Maybe i was one of the unlucky ones .Anyone else had the same problem ??????

no way man i didnt even ring sony, mine is currently being fixed at a workshop at the moment 70 goddam quid. I just assumed my sony would say my warranty was gone ive had it for 2 years and got the yellow light of death.

Tizzer22
20th March, 2009, 09:13 PM
Mines aint gave me any trouble (touch wood) but only over 4 months old

Lanxman
21st March, 2009, 11:12 AM
Got my 60gig in 2007, Absolutely no problems at all but as said above (touch wood) plays dvds,ps1,ps2,blurays and ps3 games with no problems as of yet thank god! I did attach a cooling fan though just to be on the safer side.

ricky_uk1
21st March, 2009, 12:22 PM
same here i got my 60 gig on the uk release date and have no issues at all.
also have a 40 gig for the kids and this is also fine

unlike the 8 xbox360 we have went through
7 will rrod and 1 elite with error 74
i now fix all my m8s RROD issues
but the error 74 on the elite just returns so its gathering dust now

slimjim
2nd October, 2010, 01:25 PM
18 months ...........had to pay for for fefurb fat 60gb

pants !!!:reddy:

moof007
7th October, 2010, 03:25 PM
My ps3 failed after 18months but I barely used it, the blue ray drive stopped reading disks.
Sony wanted ?180 to replace it, so it became an expensive door stop.

Is there anyway I can copy my blue ray games to the machine via pc/usb so that I can play them off the hard drive.

I got the orginal 60gb uk release of the ps3.

I have tried cleaning the lense, so the drive is definately us.
thanx