PDA

View Full Version : hospital tv

nicole123
8th June, 2012, 06:20 PM
the missus had a major opp yesterday and is expected to be in hospital for 8 weeks,now the tv is ?3 per day which is ?21 per week and never mind the car parking fees for myself and visitors,is there a ipad kind of device but cheaper i could buy her to watch tv on and keep at the end of it!! thanks nic

daithi
8th June, 2012, 06:43 PM
why the ~~~~ is your username nicole if yer missus is in hospital lol

nibblitz
8th June, 2012, 06:51 PM
A Laptop with mobile internet dongle (assuming it gets a decent signal in a hospital) then she could watch live online BBC, ITV etc and Iplayer, ITV player, 4-OD, etc etc... Might use a bit of data though, could be expensive...

Or, if the hospital is close to the regional TV transmitter, then something like this might work..
7-Inch Digital & Analogue TV with USB/SD : Flat Panel TVs : Maplin Electronics (http://www.maplin.co.uk/7-inch-digital-and-analogue-tv-with-usb-sd-280957)

nicole123
8th June, 2012, 06:59 PM
why the ~~~~ is your username nicole if yer missus is in hospital loldaithi with all due respect i think my username is irrelivant regarding the question i was asking help for thanks:dong:

Shady
8th June, 2012, 07:01 PM
theyre funny ~~~~ers at hossy now, IF they let you take a tv in at all, it will need pat testing...

andy1967
8th June, 2012, 07:20 PM
Take a portable DVD player for her to use, does have to be pat tested though like shady said, find the pat testing room yourself will be faster getting it done by asking the staff on the ward.

nibblitz
8th June, 2012, 07:23 PM
nah, you can take gadgets in no problem, mobile phone chargers, laptops, handheld games consoles, Ipads etc etc, at our local hospital its all allowed anyway (stoke mandeville) didnt have to get anything pat tested..

I just doubt you'll get a decent (if at all) mobile internet or tv signal in a hospital.. In our local hospital even getting a normal mobile signal is near impossible, I guess its to do with interference from all the fancy hospital equipment...

Like mentioned above, a portable DVD player would be the best option, you could even record a whole evenings TV at home for her then burn it to dvd and take it in the following day...

irishbluestaffy
8th June, 2012, 07:24 PM
use tvcatchup its free and its got all the freeview channels works with android and ipad and iphone

super jumbe
8th June, 2012, 08:02 PM
Just give her a tablet computer connected to dk with own username and she will get well in no time??..

:hello:

Meat-Head
8th June, 2012, 08:40 PM
Just give her a tablet computer connected to dk with own username and she will get well in no time??..

:hello:

Second that

jordigirl
8th June, 2012, 08:44 PM
what happened to the old fashioned magazines n stuff lol

nicole123
8th June, 2012, 08:59 PM
arghh many thanks for your help do them ?100 quid tablets do the business with a dongle,shady i got a real of them pat test stickers here!!:)

daithi
8th June, 2012, 09:15 PM
daithi with all due respect i think my username is irrelivant regarding the question i was asking help for thanks:dong:

was hoping ya would say ya were a lesbian ah well lol

aldi have this on sale have yal have yer money back in no time

ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 7th June 2012 (http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_25002.htm)

nicole123
8th June, 2012, 09:23 PM
was hoping ya would say ya were a lesbian ah well lol

aldi have this on sale have yal have yer money back in no time

ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 7th June 2012 (http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_25002.htm)
small minds says it all:hello:

TheCoder
8th June, 2012, 10:46 PM
.... do them ?100 quid tablets do the business with a dongle,

Unfortunately, the likely answer is no. Most of the cheap tablets are Android based so usb device support is minimal to say the least. Some do support a specific model of mobile dongle but you would need to check out the particular tablet to find out which dongle it supports.

Another problem with hospitals, already hinted at above, is that you'll be pretty lucky to get an acceptable signal for data rates high enough for TV. Most hosipitals have significant metalwork within their construction which effectively radio shields then, not to mention interference from other equipment.

For the above reasons, portable tv's also have limited success (including TV tuners on laptops etc) unless there is an aerial feed close by the bed which can be used.

You may be better to check out the hospital TV bundles. Most hospitals offer discounted rates for longer term patients (my local offered a ?15 per week pack or ?25 for 2 week pack)

nicole123
8th June, 2012, 11:44 PM
Unfortunately, the likely answer is no. Most of the cheap tablets are Android based so usb device support is minimal to say the least. Some do support a specific model of mobile dongle but you would need to check out the particular tablet to find out which dongle it supports.

Another problem with hospitals, already hinted at above, is that you'll be pretty lucky to get an acceptable signal for data rates high enough for TV. Most hosipitals have significant metalwork within their construction which effectively radio shields then, not to mention interference from other equipment.

For the above reasons, portable tv's also have limited success (including TV tuners on laptops etc) unless there is an aerial feed close by the bed which can be used.

You may be better to check out the hospital TV bundles. Most hospitals offer discounted rates for longer term patients (my local offered a ?15 per week pack or ?25 for 2 week pack)
dont think they do deals but its like the no mobile signal so you have to use there phone!!

cleanrite
10th June, 2012, 12:08 AM
wish someone would hack them cards,must be using MOSC or similar lol :)

Paytv in hospitals is a BIG no no ....
privately owned companys are racketeering the system,the hospitals get a mere 5%

young
10th June, 2012, 09:08 AM
what we have done for our little one,is buy a cheep mobile that you can tether on.(we got htc wildfire) picked it up for ?40. then got a giffgaff card ?10 a month gets you 250 mins,unlimited interweb and unlimited txt. now he has an ipad, so we use the phone as a mobile hotspot and conect to that, any tablet should do though. next if you know anyone on sky, get them to set up another username on there account(doesnt cost nothing no extras) once they done that you will be able to use skygo, not many people know. skygo you can have 2 devices paired. but all sky customers can have upto 10 usernames each one giving them an extra 2 devices per user name. sky know about this so its not illegle. so in theory you can have upto 20 devices on your skygo account. i know some peeps who are renting accounts out. for ?10 a month there for covering most of there bill.