PDA

View Full Version : Premier League TV Rights Update (UK)

cris808
13th June, 2012, 04:48 PM
Updated Breaking News:

Sky UK have secured rights for 2013-2016.

Sky has secured 116 games, BT has 38 games. ESPN secure no rights.

---------------------------------------------------------

The extension of the auction process has fuelled speculation that Arabic broadcasting giant Al Jazeera has made a serious offer to try and poach the rights from BSkyB.

ESPN and Sky are both desperate to retain their rights to showing the English top flight, which has been the cornerstone of Sky's business for two decades and contributed to the firm attracting millions of subscribers each paying ?50 a month or more.

Al Jazeera's involvement in the process is expected to push the prices up, with the Premier League in line for a ?2 billion windfall no matter who wins.

The previous three-year deal was worth just over ?1.78 billion. Rights currently up for sale cover the top flight from August 2013 to May 2016, with bidders were required to submit their second offer on Wednesday afternoon.

Sky are likely to fight hard to hang on, with former Sun editor Kelvin Mackenzie - a former close ally of Rupert Murdoch, whose News International firm owns 39 per cent of BSkyB - predicting that shares in the satellite broadcaster would "probably halve tomorrow" if it lost the rights.

The possibility of Qatar-owned broadcaster Al Jazeera going head to head with Sky originally emerged when it beat Canal Plus to the French Ligue 1 and Champions League rights in France several months ago.

The financial muscle of Qatar has seen Al Jazeera become a major player in football rights, a process that accelerated when the Middle Eastern country won the right to host the 2022 World Cup.

mdt
13th June, 2012, 06:06 PM
the goverment should remove murdochs brodcasting license due to the shady crap he,s been up to with his print arm but its no suprise as theres too much money involved and too many backhanders have probably changed hands... espn will lose most of their subs now and bt-vision boxs will see a upturn in subs also... regards mdt

iain66
13th June, 2012, 07:11 PM
And no doubt subs will go up to cover murdochs outlay...

cris808
13th June, 2012, 08:54 PM
As far as I can make out BT will be providing a channel on Sky/Virgin/Vision.

Jo-Jo
15th June, 2012, 02:47 PM
BT wins Premier League football rights | BT Life - the technology and lifestyle blog from BT (http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainment/bt-wins-premier-league-football-rights/)

lincsat
15th June, 2012, 03:42 PM
And no doubt subs will go up to cover murdochs outlay...

And if you want to watch Sports on the new BT Sports channel, that's another ?10-?15 per Month, even if you hate soccer but want to watch another Sport that they may get exclusive coverage of.

zee24
15th June, 2012, 04:12 PM
Well i wasn't suprised that ESPN didn't secure any rights think they've had enough. When they heard early on Al Jazeera were going to bid they openly said they wouldn't stand in they're way.

trainer88
16th June, 2012, 11:45 AM
And if you want to watch Sports on the new BT Sports channel, that's another ?10-?15 per Month, even if you hate soccer but want to watch another Sport that they may get exclusive coverage of.

BT are going to have to offer more than a few games a football a month to justify people paying 15.00 a month. But then they don't have any other content do they?

micflair
16th June, 2012, 11:50 AM
BT are going to have to offer more than a few games a football a month to justify people paying 15.00 a month. But then they don't have any other content do they?

Not yet, but they are going to have to get something. Cant see them launching a channel on sky for just 1 game a week! ESPN are going to have to drop there subscription fee to ?0 now I think! No-one is going to pay them for the odd europa league game or whatever else they have left..

alom5
16th June, 2012, 11:55 AM
so what happened to al jizzera?? was hoping they'd get the lot :(

cris808
16th June, 2012, 12:53 PM
If ESPN UK manage to renew their deal with UFC which expires this August then they will be fine, although I'm not sure they could still charge ?10-15 per month but something like ?5 could be more realistic.

If they secure the rights to show more French Ligue 1 & German Bundesliga games lots of people will still subscribe.

lincsat
16th June, 2012, 01:59 PM
I subscribe to ESPN and I hate soccer. I would rather it was cheaper but have no option if I want to watch Baseball and DTM.

My pet peev is having to pay for Soccer despite hating it to watch some decent sport.

mdt
16th June, 2012, 10:39 PM
I subscribe to ESPN and I hate soccer. I would rather it was cheaper but have no option if I want to watch Baseball and DTM.

My pet peev is having to pay for Soccer despite hating it to watch some decent sport.

espn america is open via softcam/emu on some stb,s for the american sports and dtm should be available on another channel also(eurosport/motors tv????) regards mdt