PDA

View Full Version : sudden loss of channels - mix

boznia
19th June, 2012, 09:00 PM
hope someone can help me. in the last couple of weeks our reception on freesat has gone downhill. we have lost some channels (food network, pop, men&movies) and get blocky reception at different times of the day, ok at some times, bad at others. i think we get some vertical and some horizontal. i have experimented with dish alignment, no change.

does it sound like an lnb problem?

cactikid
19th June, 2012, 10:18 PM
would have said sounds like dish alligned,or loose connection or maybe water has entered cable

Nutsandbolts
20th June, 2012, 10:40 AM
hope someone can help me. in the last couple of weeks our reception on freesat has gone downhill. we have lost some channels (food network, pop, men&movies) and get blocky reception at different times of the day, ok at some times, bad at others. i think we get some vertical and some horizontal. i have experimented with dish alignment, no change.

does it sound like an lnb problem?

Hi. Try and twist the lnb slightly and see if pictures improve. Also check signal strength , could be alignment problem.

Regards.:jiggin:

boznia
20th June, 2012, 02:18 PM
Sadly I have what I think is a really old Sky dish and the lnb is not twistable.

I think it is a minidish known as a channel master and the lnb is screwed into the box section arm and cannot be twisted.

I am tempted to try to replace it with a new mk4 quad lnb and hope this makes a difference. For the sake of ?8 it is worth a try.

cactikid
20th June, 2012, 07:31 PM
probably better off with a new dish if corroded and lnb

boznia
21st June, 2012, 12:36 PM
No signal at all this morning, presumably due to rain. Now that the rain has stopped it has come back. Is this normal?

DOUGALMCD
21st June, 2012, 12:40 PM
Check your dish alignment and cable for water ingress.

Nutsandbolts
21st June, 2012, 10:03 PM
No signal at all this morning, presumably due to rain. Now that the rain has stopped it has come back. Is this normal?

Hi. Yes this is normal especially with smaller size dishes . You can also get this problem when snow settles on dishes and LNB's. As already mentioned check the state of the dish and if you wish to replace it go for a dish size of at least 80cm to 1 metre. This size will come in handy if you are interested in putting a motor on dish in future.

Regards.