PDA

View Full Version : Google Public DNS IP addresses

sengkoleng
23rd June, 2012, 03:41 AM
Hi!

They say that changing my IP address to the Google Public DNS IP addresses (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) will make my computer faster in accessing the net, is this true? Will it work even if I use a wifi? Which one should I change, my PC's DNS setting or the wifi's settings?

Thanks!

rg66
23rd June, 2012, 07:45 AM
Are you accessing wifi through your own router? If so, set the Google DNS there so all computers will use it without having to set each up individually.

GastonJ
23rd June, 2012, 04:48 PM
Who are they? and i don't see any reason for it to speed anything up, since your computer will have to access googles dns servers over that very internet to carry out any lookups. The fastest ones, unless you run your own caching name server - which by far will do the fastest lookups, are generally the ones your ISP has. If using DHCP you should set the DNS entries on your DNS server and allow your computers to obtain their settings form the DHCP server. Your DHCP server may or may not be your router, though it is likely to be the case.

But setting your DNS servers will not speed up your upload for download speed. DNS servers are used to lookup names to IP addresses or IP to name.

HTH

skegsagypsy
23rd June, 2012, 07:41 PM
It will make your pages load faster, I use it through the router and its significantly faster than my isp dns, it won't make upload or downloading any quicker though.

R_J
26th June, 2012, 05:12 AM
some isp's block certain web sites using dns blocking. by using the google dns you will be able to access these web sites.