PDA

View Full Version : adding extra sockets

pongo snodgrass
5th July, 2012, 09:32 PM
hi - im thinking of adding some extra sockets in the kitchen..i have crabtree consumer unit, it has 2 MCB 32A breakers, one for upstairs sockets and one for downstairs. Now all the sockets have two sets of wires in them except the last socket in the kitchen which has only 1 set coming in, therfore im assuming i have a radial circuit...can i simply spur off this last socket into another, then into another and so on, probably 4 more double sockets..?,,,also at the final socket do i just leave it at one set of wires coming in or can i take another set off it and run it back to the consumer unit so as to make it a ring circuit...?....

gizmo.1484
5th July, 2012, 09:57 PM
hi - im thinking of adding some extra sockets in the kitchen..i have crabtree consumer unit, it has 2 MCB 32A breakers, one for upstairs sockets and one for downstairs. Now all the sockets have two sets of wires in them except the last socket in the kitchen which has only 1 set coming in, therfore im assuming i have a radial circuit...can i simply spur off this last socket into another, then into another and so on, probably 4 more double sockets..?,,,also at the final socket do i just leave it at one set of wires coming in or can i take another set off it and run it back to the consumer unit so as to make it a ring circuit...?....

The last socket in the kitchen sounds like it's a spur off the main ring circuit also the kitchen ring should be on it's own 32A MCB protected by a 80A RCD.
If you want to add 4 more double sockets you need to add them to the ring not the spur, so it's one continuous circuit.
Any extra sockets or additions to any electric wiring should be done by a part P qualified electrician as electricity kills...

pongo snodgrass
6th July, 2012, 01:17 PM
If you want to add 4 more double sockets you need to add them to the ring not the spur, so it's one continuous circuit.

if the last socket at the moment has only 3 wires coming into it then is this not a radial circuit at the moment?...would i still need to take the cable back to the CU from the last added socket? would then this be a ring circuit.....? so how would you do it ?

please note this wiring was done by the council back in 1990 according to the leaflet or card that is attached near to the consumer unit..

cheers

tango
6th July, 2012, 05:32 PM
if the last socket at the moment has only 3 wires coming into it then is this not a radial circuit at the moment?...would i still need to take the cable back to the CU from the last added socket? would then this be a ring circuit.....? so how would you do it ?

please note this wiring was done by the council back in 1990 according to the leaflet or card that is attached near to the consumer unit..

cheers

best to check the consumer box and see if u only have 1 set of wires to the mcb for the kitchen.
if so then yes u have a radial circuit
another way would to look at all the sockets in the kitchen
find the 1 that runs from the last socket and see if it has 3 sets of wires or 2
if it is a radial circuit then you basicly have the right idea and have answered your own questions
ie adding extra sockets 1 from the other
then if u wish to turn the radial circuit into a ring circuit then do exactly as u have said and un a cable from last socket back to mcb
job done

just reread what u first put ( only having 2 mcb's, 1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs) this sugests that they are both ring circuits and the kitchen is on the downstais ring (stupid ****ing council shit)
therefore the last socket sounds to be a spur as been said, u need to comfirm where its spured from
iv seen some stupid council wirings in my time
i redid all my house cos the kitchen was really bad with 1 socket spured from upstairs :(
i ended up just ripping it all out and redoing the lot and now the kitchen is on its own mcb

pongo snodgrass
6th July, 2012, 09:54 PM
ta tango....i was thinking also of leaving the last socket as it is since its only 1 spur off somewhere which im sure is allowed....since i have access upsatirs due to the floorboards being removed, i was thinkig of creating a seperate ring just for these new kitchen sockts...i can get the cable to run from and to the consumer unit, and add another MCB 32A...and clearly lable this as being the a new ring for the kitchen...will this be ok ?...i am however going to get a sparky to advise and hopefully do..cheers

gazz10
6th July, 2012, 10:42 PM
ta tango....i was thinking also of leaving the last socket as it is since its only 1 spur off somewhere which im sure is allowed....since i have access upsatirs due to the floorboards being removed, i was thinkig of creating a seperate ring just for these new kitchen sockts...i can get the cable to run from and to the consumer unit, and add another MCB 32A...and clearly lable this as being the a new ring for the kitchen...will this be ok ?...i am however going to get a sparky to advise and hopefully do..cheers

It should be done by qualified p part person. only few years ago it was competent person law changes all the time,but if u going to add another mcb to run the 4 sockets then yeah there no issues there with that.

pongo snodgrass
7th July, 2012, 08:51 AM
Cheers..ill get a sparky to do it..

pongo snodgrass
8th July, 2012, 11:33 AM
Seems like the spur is coming from the bedroom above the kitchen...as i can see the cable running into that bedroom , under the flloorboards...has to be from one of the two sockets in that room..

gizmo.1484
8th July, 2012, 08:05 PM
i was thinkig of creating a seperate ring just for these new kitchen sockts...i can get the cable to run from and to the consumer unit, and add another MCB 32A...and clearly lable this as being the a new ring for the kitchen...will this be ok ?...i am however going to get a sparky to advise and hopefully do..cheers
That would be the best option? to put in a new ring for the kitchen and have it on it's own 32A MCB protected by an RCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nibblitz
10th July, 2012, 12:04 AM
Listen to Gazz10, you cant really do Kitchen rewiring yourself (unless you're a spark who can part p certificate) cause if you do it wont meet building regs, and its illegal apparently.. You can add extra sockets to an exhisting circuit in your lounge or a bedroom if you're competent, but you cant touch Kitchen circuits..

Trisazo
23rd August, 2012, 06:38 PM
I thought that you can do the work yourself provided that it is then certified by a qualified electrician. Wiring is not technically difficult . I have rewired 2 houses myself with no problems. You just have to be careful !!!