PDA

View Full Version : Tyres And The Law?

X-PAC
1st February, 2009, 04:23 AM
If a tyre has tear in the sidewall is it illegal? I had my MOT last week and my tear was not noticed on the failure sheet.

gmb45
1st February, 2009, 05:51 AM
If a tyre has tear in the sidewall is it illegal? I had my MOT last week and my tear was not noticed on the failure sheet.i would say yes m8 change it anyway not worth the three points and a fine if it is illegal, the garage could have just missed it they are only human, or incompetent either way dont risk it. or swap it for your spare if short of cash for a temp fix and there may be a safety issue or take it to a garage and ask them to take a quick look they will tell you if its safe dont take it to a tyre place tho they will tell you its knackered to sell you one unless you definitely need one

X-PAC
1st February, 2009, 10:40 AM
lol i already got the points but im wondering if its worth fighting if its not illegal

gmb45
1st February, 2009, 10:50 AM
lol i already got the points but im wondering if its worth fighting if its not illegalyou need to get an mot man to check it before you do anything

gordy230
1st February, 2009, 10:53 AM
i would say yes m8 change it anyway not worth the three points and a fine if it is illegal, the garage could have just missed it they are only human, or incompetent either way dont risk it. or swap it for your spare if short of cash for a temp fix and there may be a safety issue or take it to a garage and ask them to take a quick look they will tell you if its safe dont take it to a tyre place tho they will tell you its knackered to sell you one unless you definitely need one

if you can lift the tear and see the cords its a fail if not a wee warning should have been given

X-PAC
1st February, 2009, 11:02 AM
if you can lift the tear and see the cords its a fail if not a wee warning should have been given

i can lift the tear but cannot see any cords.

smirnoff_rules
1st February, 2009, 11:25 AM
most car tyres r made this extra rubber in these places now as it protest the alloy wheels . l see it all the time as a mechanic .. so mot places ( if there after money will fail ) if u use a small local tyre he will put your mind at rest .. ~~~~ the big boy your better off with a small garage as u see and talk to the guy going the work at half the price

gmb45
1st February, 2009, 11:29 AM
most car tyres r made this extra rubber in these places now as it protest the alloy wheels . l see it all the time as a mechanic .. so mot places ( if there after money will fail ) if u use a small local tyre he will put your mind at rest .. ~~~~ the big boy your better off with a small garage as u see and talk to the guy going the work at half the priceyeh dont use the big boys ive been ripped by them before

X-PAC
1st February, 2009, 11:48 AM
lol im not looking at opinions on getting new tyres lol , they treads are low anyways so i need to get some new ones. Im a mechanic myself and have contacts to get cheap tyres.

What im asking is should i have got three points on my licence and a ?60 fine? With these three points ill be one point of a ban which could affect my job. So id rather not have them.

cactikid
1st February, 2009, 03:27 PM
hard 1 to call if tear was on tyre on outside of tyre wall usually would not be missed during mot as checking for wheel bearings and drag due to tight brakes.if the tear was deep enough i would be worried do all tyres have cord around tyre wall as i have reported tyres myself due to safety issues,as said bring the faulty tyre to a few tyre depots and get a few different reports and if favourable might contest results and points.

X-PAC
1st February, 2009, 03:36 PM
thanks, heres a bad quality picture, any tyre experts? I think i may be wrong and this is most likely illegal.

gmb45
1st February, 2009, 03:44 PM
thanks, heres a bad quality picture, any tyre experts? I think i may be wrong and this is most likely illegal.im not a expert m8 but what i can see its illegal

cactikid
1st February, 2009, 03:51 PM
bad picture so cannot say if it is a slim slice or deep slice

X-PAC
1st February, 2009, 04:13 PM
but from the top does it look ok? Shall i rip the top off so i can get an ideaof the depth? thanks

cactikid
1st February, 2009, 05:33 PM
no if u tamper with it, it will not be the same as seen by police go to tyre depots and ask for their advise.

gordy230
1st February, 2009, 05:41 PM
no if u tamper with it, it will not be the same as seen by police go to tyre depots and ask for their advise.

welyou could just plead not guilty and when youre in court your lawer asks the polis to prove with evidence they cant unless the took photo ha ha get it up them

X-PAC
1st February, 2009, 05:58 PM
welyou could just plead not guilty and when youre in court your lawer asks the polis to prove with evidence they cant unless the took photo ha ha get it up them

lol i guess im lucky then, as i think they were having a problem with getting there camera on there blackberry phones to work.
They did write a written description though.
Can i view their evidence? And does anyone have any idea on how easy it would be to win the case and costs involved? Also would i be compensated for them wasting my time?