PDA

View Full Version : Boxing: Confidence high in Hayes corner

thommo
9th March, 2008, 12:11 AM
remember tonights the night they fight.

David Haye’s manager Adam Booth insists Enzo Maccarinelli will get the shock of his life when the pair step onto the scales today ahead of tomorrow night’s (now tonight) world cruiserweight title clash at the O2 Arena.

Booth is convinced Maccarinelli’s handlers only agreed to the British super-fight after mistakenly convincing themselves that Haye was heavyweight-bound and struggling to boil down to the 14st 4ins limit.

But Booth insisted: "The truth is going to come out and David is going to show that he has had no problems making the weight, just as he had no problems before he won the titles from Jean-Marc Mormeck last year.

"We knew the only way we would convince Maccarinelli to take the fight was if he thought David was weak at the weight.

"It was a plan we came up with before the Mormeck fight and they have fallen for it."

Booth has moved to iron out the controversy over the time for today’s weigh-in by admitting Haye will turn up for the seven o’clock meeting on the scales - even though he maintains he was contracted to strip off three hours previously.

"David will weigh in at both four o’clock and seven o’clock if that’s what they want," added Booth.

"The bottom line is it is going to make no difference either to us or to the outcome of the fight."

Maccarinelli remained totally unruffled by Haye’s no-show at yesterday’s press conference after the London champion refused to interrupt his sleep pattern and instead turned up two hours later with the Welshman long gone.

Maccarinelli shrugged: "I really couldn’t care less what he’s done.

"I respect him as a fighter, he’s got fast hands and he can punch hard. But I don’t fear him and this is the fight I’ve wanted more than any other."

But furious Warren accused Haye of being in breach of contract for failing to make the 12.30pm press conference start time and will urge the British Boxing Board of Control to impose a financial penalty.

Warren said: "He’s in breach of contract and I’ve made a complaint already to the Boxing Board of Control. They’ve got to determine whether there is a breach of contract and what his obligations are.

"It’s all very mystifying to me. I’m paying him an absolute fortune and he should show some respect not only to the promotion but to Enzo Maccarinelli. He’s come down from Wales today and this fellow lives in London."

By the time Haye arrived at the O2 venue the press conference room had been cleared and the WBC and WBA champion instead held court in the arena foyer where he made no excuses for his late arrival.

Haye said: "We agreed certain things in the contract and now they are changing.

"It’s no secret I’m big at the weight and in an ideal world I’d have the weigh-in as early as possible, but obviously they want to push it back.

"His people are getting desperate. They’re worried because they realise I’m in the best shape of my life.

"They’ve been hearing from the gyms that big world ranked heavyweights have been getting smashed to pieces."

smirnoff_rules
9th March, 2008, 03:32 PM
he was completely out box by a class fighter , cant wait to see him go up to very weight