PDA

View Full Version : Softmod Completed, Backup Loader Installed - but no dice...

middlewingnut
1st February, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hey all,
I've gone through the excellent tutorials here and with a little help from the kids experts (again, here) I've downgraded to 3.2Eur firmware, installed homebrew atc. and then installed the Backup launcher.

When I then put in a backup DVD, they all fail to boot. I use a mac normally, but I've burnt the ISOs with imgburn on a PC and they say they are verified ok.

What can I do to find the cause of the problem - I'm tempted to re do the softmod from teh start to see fi I missed something, does that sound sensible?

All suggestions welcome (Except those ending in "sun don't shine"!)

Thanks to all for a great forum.

dell_xps
1st February, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hey all,
I've gone through the excellent tutorials here and with a little help from the kids experts (again, here) I've downgraded to 3.2Eur firmware, installed homebrew atc. and then installed the Backup launcher.

When I then put in a backup DVD, they all fail to boot. I use a mac normally, but I've burnt the ISOs with imgburn on a PC and they say they are verified ok.

What can I do to find the cause of the problem - I'm tempted to re do the softmod from teh start to see fi I missed something, does that sound sensible?

All suggestions welcome (Except those ending in "sun don't shine"!)

Thanks to all for a great forum.

Whats the error message you get m8?

middlewingnut
1st February, 2009, 09:08 PM
I don't get an error message at all - the Wii just tries to mount the DVD ( I guess) and then takes about 15-20 seconds to decide that nothing is happening, then it all starts again.

dell_xps
1st February, 2009, 09:30 PM
I don't get an error message at all - the Wii just tries to mount the DVD ( I guess) and then takes about 15-20 seconds to decide that nothing is happening, then it all starts again.

What discs did you use m8?
It can be a bit picky with discs.

middlewingnut
1st February, 2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the reply, I've used verbatim discs at 4x to write the images. I also wrote a couple of ceaper ritek discs, but the same thing happened.

I guess I'll maybe reinstall everything...

... but which is the best backup loader to use?

drawflex
1st February, 2009, 10:25 PM
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f16/softmod-hack-update-need-speed-etc-25818/

there's a link to the file in one of the posts

middlewingnut
1st February, 2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks for a quick reply! Unfortunately, that was the one I was trying this evening. I started with a different one then put the Need for Speed one on - would that make a difference?

dell_xps
1st February, 2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks for a quick reply! Unfortunately, that was the one I was trying this evening. I started with a different one then put the Need for Speed one on - would that make a difference?

Not really, the newer loader works with 99.9% of games.
What prog did you burn the discs with ?
Try IMG burn or Nero.

DW190
2nd February, 2009, 01:23 AM

I have the same problem as you. Tried downloading and writing to disc. Copying disc to disc. All to no avail. I have a Dell Laptop with a Sony DVD + RW (this is where the problem lies).

Borrowed an old Liteon in an external caddy. I use this to both write from file and read/write from other copies. Works perfect using Verbatim 43551 DVD+R, 4.7GB, 16x. Writing at 8x without any problems.

dell_xps
2nd February, 2009, 10:05 AM
I had the very same problem using my older Dell Precision M50 writer to burn discs, I managed to get 1 in every 10 working, soon as I changed it to an external Plextor, every disc burns at 16X, and plays back no problem.
HTH

middlewingnut
2nd February, 2009, 10:38 AM
Maybe that's it then. I used an external pioneer 115 for some and an internal matsushita (in my iMac running windows).

I'll see what's around...