PDA

View Full Version : it's as bad as they are painting

thecelticfan
15th July, 2012, 08:15 PM
Will Scottish football be confined a backwater, like the league of Eire and the Welsh league?

Or will the belt buckles be pulled in an the youth given a chance?

Giving our national team a time to thrive and our clubs a time to promote the youth game.

colin mckenzie
15th July, 2012, 08:28 PM
Will Scottish football be confined a backwater, like the league of Eire and the Welsh league?

Giving our national team a time to thrive and our clubs a time to promote the youth game.

to be fair its impossible to say

for me 10k turning up for a preseason friendly (in dundee) suggests there is an appetite, also bear in mind that a 16 team league would see teams have 2 visits a year from the big 2 (same as next season) so i am at a loss to see where the big problem is?
The TV deal is the same next year
and the teams competing for 2nd place should in theory get a bigger support As it will basically be a leauge for runners up

On top of this the fans of Sevco will swell grounds in div 3 next year meaning additional revenue at that level.. granted their home gates will drop by around 50% but all in all i think the SPL will stay pretty much the same..

IMO

SIMPLY THE BEST
15th July, 2012, 08:39 PM

What makes you think that Scottish football wasn't a backwater even with Rangers and celtic, it's viewed as a laughing stock by most of footballs top clubs.

The problem with Scottish football is the fans think that Rangers and celtic are massive in world football where in reality they are only that in there own minds.

colin mckenzie
15th July, 2012, 08:47 PM
What makes you think that Scottish football wasn't a backwater even with Rangers and celtic, it's viewed as a laughing stock by most of footballs top clubs.

The problem with Scottish football is the fans think that Rangers and celtic are massive in world football where in reality they are only that in there own minds.

think you have to seperate massive with good team, Celtic and rangers before liquadation in support can only be matched by 4-5 clubs world wide.
in a football sense they are rank rotten but in terms of club size they are/were massive

SIMPLY THE BEST
15th July, 2012, 08:56 PM
think you have to seperate massive with good team, Celtic and rangers before liquadation in support can only be matched by 4-5 clubs world wide.
in a football sense they are rank rotten but in terms of club size they are/were massive

And there lies the problem basing it on support bit like Scotland football team they are happy being known as the great Tartan army but are totally shite when it comes to football.

Having a mentality that consists of we have a great support but are shite at football is laughable imho.

thecelticfan
15th July, 2012, 08:59 PM
To put it simply, Simply, the SPL is nowhere like the league of Eire nor the Welsh league.

We are more like Belgium or Switzerland, without, the defunct Rangers.

BEL 2,844,299.00
SCO 2,396,574.00
SUI 2,045,762.00

The leagues mentioned do not get anywhere neat that attendance!

If you include the defunct club our attendances higher than the Belgian, Russian, Portuguese, Swedish, Norweigan, Danish, Greek, Swiss, Austrian and Polish Leagues.

colin mckenzie
15th July, 2012, 09:01 PM
And there lies the problem basing it on support bit like Scotland football team they are happy being known as the great Tartan army but are totally shite when it comes to football.

Having a mentality that consists of we have a great support but are shite at football is laughable imho.

i mean surely a club who can take 100k fans to a game in spain or 200k to a game in manchester must be considered a big club thats my opinion anyway. based on what your saying is a rich oil baron bought doncaster and signed messi, xavi and iniesta and won the european cup that would mean they had became a big club no they are a great team but not a big club IMO

barrowmanandrew
15th July, 2012, 09:04 PM
To put it simply, Simply, the SPL is nowhere like the league of Eire nor the Welsh league.

hate to point out the obvious but it was you who made the comparison in your opening gambit....

SIMPLY THE BEST
15th July, 2012, 09:05 PM

We are more like Belgium or Switzerland, without, the defunct Rangers.

BEL 2,844,299.00
SCO 2,396,574.00
SUI 2,045,762.00

The leagues mentioned do not get anywhere neat that attendance!

If you include the defunct club our attendances higher than the Belgian, Russian, Portuguese, Swedish, Norweigan, Danish, Greek, Swiss, Austrian and Polish Leagues.

Yet Scottish teams do not get anywhere near the success of the others you mention in europe nowadays why is that ?

johnboy1974
15th July, 2012, 09:05 PM

Scottish football has been a backwater for about 5 years now a laughing stock at every level.

barrowmanandrew
15th July, 2012, 09:10 PM
Scottish football has been a backwater for about 5 years now a laughing stock at every level.

more like ten years m8...

SIMPLY THE BEST
15th July, 2012, 09:13 PM
i mean surely a club who can take 100k fans to a game in spain or 200k to a game in manchester must be considered a big club thats my opinion anyway. based on what your saying is a rich oil baron bought doncaster and signed messi, xavi and iniesta and won the european cup that would mean they had became a big club no they are a great team but not a big club IMO

So you are just saying the bigger attendances the bigger the club and that makes that club superior to others because of a bigger support and should be seen on the world stage as 1 of the powerhouses based on support ?

I get what you are trying to say even though it is flawed based on your point of view that bigger is best but quite obviously not the case of Scottish teams in world terms.

colin mckenzie
in the last 10 years our clubs have made 2 european finals and thelast 16 of the champions league 3 times? surely thats harsh

thecelticfan
Yet Scottish teams do not get anywhere near the success of the others you mention in europe nowadays why is that ?

It could be TV money

In Euro's

BEL 45,700,000.00
SCO 18,500,000.00
SUI 36,500,000.00

The SFA/SPL have a lot to answer for!

thecelticfan
15th July, 2012, 09:16 PM

So the Belgians and the Swiss are laughing at us?

Even when, the now nearly defunct, Rangers got to a European Final?

barrowmanandrew
15th July, 2012, 09:17 PM
It could be TV money

In Euro's

BEL 45,700,000.00
SCO 18,500,000.00
SUI 36,500,000.00

The SFA/SPL have a lot to answer for!

wow...

huge differnce..

SIMPLY THE BEST
15th July, 2012, 09:30 PM
So the Belgians and the Swiss are laughing at us?

Even when, the now nearly defunct, Rangers got to a European Final?

Most probably are when they see our teams getting pumped by the likes of Artmedia Bratislava 5-0

thecelticfan
15th July, 2012, 10:03 PM
Most probably are when they see our teams getting pumped by the likes of Artmedia Bratislava 5-0

One thing is for sure, the Uefa Co-efficient will most probably go up the way now!

thecelticfan
26th July, 2012, 01:23 AM
hate to point out the obvious but it was you who made the comparison in your opening gambit....

No I asked a question.

thecelticfan
26th July, 2012, 01:24 AM

Or haribo.

Wolfpack
27th July, 2012, 02:30 AM
The SPL is what is because it became a 2 team league. If it weren't one winning the title it was the other. They should take the top 5 teams and let them merge with the EPL. I'm sure one or two will be top flight and the others would float around in the bottom leagues. Spain is like the SPL a two team league. The only difference is Barca and RM have money to spend. I would love to see Celtic play in the EPL. They have a good team and great fan support.

johnboy1974
27th July, 2012, 10:14 AM
The SPL is what is because it became a 2 team league. If it weren't one winning the title it was the other. They should take the top 5 teams and let them merge with the EPL. I'm sure one or two will be top flight and the others would float around in the bottom leagues. Spain is like the SPL a two team league. The only difference is Barca and RM have money to spend. I would love to see Celtic play in the EPL. They have a good team and great fan support.

They certainly have a good support possibly the finest in Europe but a good team??- I don't think so.

Rodbouy
27th July, 2012, 11:04 AM
They certainly have a good support possibly the finest in Europe but a good team??- I don't think so.

We have a good team for the SPL but very avg at best in a decent league or Europe thats for sure.

Prior to Rangers demise, both couldnt compete with with the championship in terms of money.

Sky gave English Football what it has today and that is an exciting league and no one can deny that.

Celtic and The Rangers FC has a bigger travailing support than any team in Europe.

If we had such money to throw around on overpaid stars we would be better but we dont and we have no right to.

We just need to make do with what we have or until such times change.

C64
27th July, 2012, 06:09 PM
Anyone know if Sevco have managed to secure a licence?

Rodbouy
27th July, 2012, 06:17 PM
Anyone know if Sevco have managed to secure a licence?

Not yet Stuart, app a tmp license will be issued to allow them to play Ramsden cup tie on Sundays