PDA

View Full Version : Rangers close to SFA membership - Charles Green

SIMPLY THE BEST
24th July, 2012, 02:16 PM
Rangers close to SFA membership - Charles Green

Rangers newco chief executive Charles Green hopes Scottish FA membership will be secured within the next 24 hours.

Green told the club website that the only remaining obstacles were "just some minor points to resolve with the Scottish Premier League".

"We are making good progress," he said. "Most of the things are now clear to all parties.

"As far as I am concerned, we have no outstanding issues with the SFA or with the Scottish Football League."

Green has been in talks with the SFA, SPL and SFL ahead of Sunday's scheduled season-opener at Brechin in the Ramsdens Cup.

A 12-month transfer ban, media rights and the possible stripping of trophies have all been sticking points during the negotiations.

"I spoke to the chief executive of the SFA, Stewart Regan, this morning and that went very well," continued Green.

"I have also just spoken to (SPL chief executive) Neil Doncaster and I will be meeting both of them later today.

"I'm really hopeful now that within the next 24 hours we can have this thing signed and sealed and (manager) Alastair (McCoist) can start loading his players on a team coach to go up and try to win a match on Sunday."

It has been reported that broadcasters are not keen to sign up to an SPL television deal without having access to Rangers newco's matches as part of the overall offering.

If the SPL is unable to include Rangers' rights in any media proposal, the SFL could lose out on their annual ?2m settlement fee that was agreed in 1999 when the top clubs split from the league to form the top-flight.

However, before signing the transferrance of membership agreement with the SFA, the Ibrox club wants the SPL to drop its investigation into dual contracts.

The SPL wants an independent commission to rule on whether the previous club's administrators breached regulations with alleged undisclosed payments to players between 2001 and 2010, which could result in the club being stripped of the trophies won during that period.

On Saturday, Rangers newco manager Ally McCoist said he would "never accept" stripping the club of titles.

bobwill
24th July, 2012, 08:35 PM
I am not a big football fan and live south of the border but as a neutrel I think
This will be bad for scottish football wonder who will win the league for the next few years,
it will be a one horse race and bets will only be on runner up and all fans will be worse off lower gates all round
less TV money very short sighted.
It seems they not only want to punish rangers they want to close them down

SIMPLY THE BEST
24th July, 2012, 10:20 PM
Looks like it bob at times m8