PDA

View Full Version : Car Frozen

X-PAC
3rd February, 2009, 11:53 AM
My car froze over the last two days. I decided not to start it at risk of doing further damage to the car. I checked all the coolant pipes and there all frozen. My fault for not using antifreeze.
ANyone have any ideas of how to thaw it?
This may help a few others aswell.
Thanks

lfc4life
3rd February, 2009, 11:59 AM
You would maybe need to let it thaw out out naturally ? :)

X-PAC
3rd February, 2009, 12:58 PM
lol i already knew that but it would take a day or two. I need it in a couple of hours. Any quicker ways ?

smirnoff_rules
3rd February, 2009, 01:20 PM
the bit that need to free off first is the water pump .. no idea wot car u have but most r run by the cambelt so starting the cars a no no .. the best way is a heater in a garage , cant think of an easy way

thirty3
3rd February, 2009, 09:34 PM
There is no quick way to thaw all the coolant channels inside the engine...

X-PAC
3rd February, 2009, 09:44 PM
I was thinking about buying a big syringe and injecting antifreeze through the water jacket.
If i try to crank it a few times buy hand it should also show whether the water pump is still frozen or not without damaging the pump shouldnt it? The water pump is driven by the timing belt , so starting it hen frozen would cause the belt to slip or snap and would also break the water pump.

cactikid
3rd February, 2009, 10:06 PM
I was thinking about buying a big syringe and injecting antifreeze through the water jacket.
If i try to crank it a few times buy hand it should also show whether the water pump is still frozen or not without damaging the pump shouldnt it? The water pump is driven by the timing belt , so starting it hen frozen would cause the belt to slip or snap and would also break the water pump.
how about wrecking ur engine first,then u wont need a waterpump as that is what might happen if u try and start it ,timing belt if broken can lead to valve and piston damage and that means money,core plugs burst/split hoses and damage to radiator all likely,push car into warm location and thaw naturally and check for leaks.

X-PAC
3rd February, 2009, 10:33 PM
didnt say anything about starting it mate, just said if i try and turn the crankshaft by hand using a ratchet i should be able to tell whether the water pump is still frozen. i know how much effort is usually needed to turn the crankshaft as i have tried before so if i use that effort and it doesnt want to turn i will leave for it to fully defrost.
Also i dont have access to a garage next to my house.

cactikid
3rd February, 2009, 11:12 PM
problem is on some peugeots and citroens timing belt goes slack so wont wont take much effort for belt to hop.can depend on what car u have and if it has an automatic tensioner.

X-PAC
4th February, 2009, 12:27 AM
its a vauxhall, SOHC engine, not a problem with this engine.
Hopefully it stays above 0 degrees tonight,