PDA

View Full Version : Wine

aftermath
10th May, 2008, 06:43 PM
Wine.
Any wine drinkers here ? i used to make my own , but its as cheap to buy the stuff these days in the shops.

Was wondering what wine you prefer or recommend or advice e.t.c.

My favourite is red wine, i like the Cabernet Sauvignon, and it has to be from Chile, South Africa, or Australia, and i like it to be around 13.5% to 14.5% proof.

Jaffa
10th May, 2008, 07:16 PM
White for me m8, I also like it around the 14% mark. I can drink most whites but not a red wine fan at all. I also like wine from Chile although if I had a favorite it would be Pinot Grigio from Italy.

allycoops
10th May, 2008, 07:23 PM
I aint really a little ole wine drinker me,
I can honestly say the only wine I ever enjoyed was this Chateau de Sours Rose.

Hotel we go to used to stock it and i loved the stuff, seems quite difficult to get hold of though elsewhere, It was a bout ?15 a bottle i think in 2001/2002

http://www.chateaudesours.com/index.php?id=124

aftermath
10th May, 2008, 07:24 PM
I aint really a little ole wine drinker me,
I can honestly say the only wine I ever enjoyed was this Chateau de Sours Rose.

Hotel we go to used to stock it and i loved the stuff, seems quite difficult to get hold of though elsewhere, It was a bout ?15 a bottle i think in 2001/2002

http://www.chateaudesours.com/index.php?id=124

Is that a French wine ?

?84 for 12 bottles ?7 a bottle , thats not bad if you love the stuff

smirnoff_rules
10th May, 2008, 07:32 PM
yes l like ... hate red tho but drink a few bottles a week of white . l try different ones . like chilli white chardonnay

allycoops
10th May, 2008, 07:33 PM
yeh Steve its French, nice stuff and that is quite cheap , Like i say hotel was charging about ?15 a bottle 6 year ago and stopped getting it.

Might order some of that sometime.

aftermath
10th May, 2008, 07:36 PM
as we speak i am having a bottle of GALLO cabernet sauvignon, from California 13.5% , but not one of my better ones, lol, had a lot better.
?5 a bottle

biffo1
10th May, 2008, 08:42 PM
red or white for me anit bothered really if it tastes like viniger i just add lemonade lol, still gets ya drunk

Dreamer
10th May, 2008, 09:45 PM
Like Aftermath I used to brew me own wine. I gave it up cause it took too long to ferment and it didn't quite taste like it came from a French vineyard although it did have a real kick to it!

I like a white bubbly Cava if I'm in the garden having a BBQ.
If I'm out for a meal I like a nice fruity medium bodied wine like a Rioja or a Merlot nothing too expensive though. Most of the decent wines are around 13% these days.

You can get some nice tasty bottles for a fiver if you go for one of the half price deals that come up in Tesco from time to time.

I'm fairly versitile with my drinking though I like beer, lager and vodka too . I'm Scottish afer all! If there was an olympic contest for drinking I think the Scottish folks would win no bother.:cheers::beer:

Jaffa
10th May, 2008, 09:50 PM
Like Aftermath I used to brew me own wine. I gave it up cause it took too long to ferment and it didn't quite taste like it came from a French vineyard although it did have a real kick to it!

I like a white bubbly Cava if I'm in the garden having a BBQ.
If I'm out for a meal I like a nice fruity medium bodied wine like a Rioja or a Merlot nothing too expensive though. Most of the decent wines are around 13% these days.

You can get some nice tasty bottles for a fiver if you go for one of the half price deals that come up in Tesco from time to time.

I'm fairly versitile with my drinking though I like beer, lager and vodka too . I'm Scottish afer all! If there was an olympic contest for drinking I think the Scottish folks would win no bother.:cheers::beer:

I aint doubting your Scots prediction for gold medal but the Irish would give you a run for your money.

Tesco half price is what I always look for because you get to try wines you wouldnt normally pay for.

I used to make my own wine aswell, some where good and some were horrible, my m8 made nettle wine and he thought it was delicious but it was absolutely revolting. I once made red wine and it actually hadnt formented fully for party time but we filtered it and drank it anyway, that was also revolting but we drank it anyway...lol

Dreamer
10th May, 2008, 10:23 PM
Like you aftermath I also tried filtering the wine off the yeast just before it had finished fermenting. It don't half make you fart though. lol

I reckon it would be a close call for gold medal between the Irish and the Scottish.

:toilet:

skinterz
12th May, 2008, 01:52 PM
my mate used to make his own elderflower think it was nice and sweet

its only until recent i enjoy a few bottles of wine on week end and maybe one or 2 in week haha .....dunno why a lot of peeps wont entertain it thinking its for snobby folk and tastes sour ...you can get awfull wines i know but when you find a nice smooth bottle of red you hooked ....been buying hardys lately dont mind red or white

aftermath
12th May, 2008, 07:27 PM
I like the Hardys Crest Cabernet Shraz, 3 bottles for ?10 in Tescos

nara
13th May, 2008, 12:03 PM
Probably easier to say what I don't like.

Can't stand Rose, Californian wines, or those blow-your-head-off Australian reds that taste of Ribena and alcohol.

Some really nice reds from France, Chile, Italy, South Africa and New Zealand. There's a South African called Roodeberg that I would recomend. When I want to splash out I tend to go for Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

Less keen on whites, and they've got to be dry.

C64
13th May, 2008, 12:51 PM
I prefer a sweet little red number from Devon, flavoured with a hint of vanilla, the name of it escapes me for the time being. ;)

allycoops
13th May, 2008, 12:53 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42130000/jpg/_42130884_buckfast_close_203.jpg

techquest
13th May, 2008, 01:57 PM
Ernest and Julio White Grenache, strange name becuase it's a Ros?, is great for the barbie and parties. But if it's a red it has to be an Italian, Brunello would do it for me.

Used to drink a Preece Chardonnay from tesco which was a cracking white but don't see it these days. Anyone seen it?

nara
13th May, 2008, 03:26 PM
........Used to drink a Preece Chardonnay from tesco which was a cracking white but don't see it these days. Anyone seen it?

Down the page a bit:http://www.winebuythecase.com/acatalog/Preece.html

Devilfish
13th May, 2008, 03:55 PM
Im not a wine drinker at all. I can drink it but much prefer a lager or a whiskey or a glayva or drambue.

Oh and yeh, the odd bottle of tonic now and again, although not so much these days lol.

charlie senator
13th May, 2008, 08:17 PM
I drink lager if i'm out Can't stand the taste of the can stuff so i mainly drink Brandy when in the house but just lately i've been trying to get a taste for wine.I don't really like the whites but i've had some nice red ones Dumisani shiraz is nice and i had a nice Merlot the other week but i'm buggered if i can remember the name of it. One thing though is red wine always leaves me with a headache next day but i never get one with any other type of drink !!

aftermath
13th May, 2008, 08:24 PM
Funny you should say that Charlie, i had a good old few reds the other day and i was ill the following day, normally after loads of beer i can recover, but that day after the red wine session i never recovered.

charlie senator
13th May, 2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah i've heard people say that it gives you a hangover but thats the first time i've ever had one

DiscoDave
13th May, 2008, 10:31 PM
I like red & white, a nice Valpolicella for a red and a LOPEZ DE HEREDIA - Vina Tondonia Reserva Blanco 1989 for a white.

:beer: