PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Freesat Recorder opinions please...

die Geister Hoden
1st August, 2012, 08:49 PM
:hello:Am angling to get the Samsung SMT-7800 Freesat + box...now that the bugs are fixed,the firmware is okay and the reviews seem positive...just need to to know peoples opinions who own one,and is it worth the splash? cheers

mdt
2nd August, 2012, 08:02 PM
:hello:Am angling to get the Samsung SMT-7800 Freesat + box...now that the bugs are fixed,the firmware is okay and the reviews seem positive...just need to to know peoples opinions who own one,and is it worth the splash? cheers

the humax freesat recorders seem to be the best of the bunch with very good reviews and regular F/W updates... i installed one for a ex-work collegue about 18 months ago and its still running great. down side is the price of course although humax direct do the 500gb for ?179. looking at the specs and reviews of both id choose the humax but thats not to say that the samsung is a bad box now but humax have more experience in the stb field, regards mdt

Gerry1
3rd August, 2012, 04:08 PM

Hi, Just put my Samsung smt7800 into storage as I have now been waiting over twelve months for the new firmware from Samsung.
I have experienced a lot of bugs associated with the 2011 firmware including regularly having to switch the box off to enable a reset after losing the library of progs that I had recorded. It switching itself off for no apparaent reason etc. etc.
I was promised by Samsung back when I bought the box that the wireless dongle would work. Indeed it even advertised it on the samsung website ( Long since removed) Then they said it would be part of the next update in Sept 2011 that came and went. I have now taken a Sky box for twelve months, maybe during the next twelve months Samsung will release a good update for their freesat box. Until they do it will remain in storage.
The decision is up to you but I would wait and see what happens during the next few months.