PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for the TM5420HD?

badman56
6th August, 2012, 11:05 PM
When changing satellite (i.e. from HIPASAT to ASTRA 2/EURBIRD) it says No or Bad Signal and none of the channels work even though they all just did before i went to the other satellite

i have to then either change to another satellite then come back to that satellite (then it all works fine) or turn off the box

i am on a motorised dish which is working fine but i am wondering if this is normal for the 5420 - it seems to get confused if you switch satellites quickly then nothing works

i am on the latest phantom patch also but have over 9200 channels stored - would deleting channels help?

any novices' advice is welcomed as before i start trying to fix the problem maybe this is normal for these systems

thanks

happy_highlander
6th August, 2012, 11:45 PM
Not sure if it's normal but it does have a similar glitch with the no signal message for a split second when viewing a channel for the first time after installing a new channel list, but the channel always comes on after a second or so, it seems to be too similar for it not to be related though,

pulsaruk
7th August, 2012, 12:08 AM
This is normal. Happens all the time on mine

Nutsandbolts
7th August, 2012, 12:35 AM
This is normal. Happens all the time on mine

Hi. It could be a patch problem as it should not be doing this. Which motor are you using as i read that people have issues with certain type of motors and patches. I have a TM5400 SUPER and a TM2600 and never had a problem. If possible it is always best to see if dish is actually moving from one satellite to another. If dish not moving check cables are connected properly. It is sometime normal for the NO SIGNAL message to appear when dish is moving( i get it sometimes) but will disappear once it gets to its destination. I suspect its picking up signals as its moving.

Regards

badman56
7th August, 2012, 01:16 AM
ive tried two latest phantom patches - the July one and the January one and both seem to have the problem so not sure if its a patch specific issue

its a Darkmotor and seems to be operating properly and turning as it should

i have been told that the 5420 becomes "confused" if you change satellite whilst changing channel but this is really becoming beyond a glitch into something which is making using it a pain

i deleted all the channels and started to add some back slowly and it seemed to be generally much faster - i reinstalled my backup list of channels and its back to the same problem

im currently reading up on and trying out some of the excellent advice on starting channel lists from scratch on these forums (blind scan seems to be a waste of time when you have access to 40 satellites) to see if i can minimise my channel list to the lowest possible amount of tps and channels to see if i can improve it

Manic01
7th August, 2012, 02:39 AM
Its a fault with tm5402 that if you change sats and then channels before arriving on the satellite then it says no signal.
TM been aware for long time about the issue.

badman56
7th August, 2012, 08:57 AM
thanks for that manic hopefully it doesnt cause a problem when creating favorite lists from diff sats does it?

Nutsandbolts
7th August, 2012, 09:05 AM
Hi. Has anyone ever tried a motor on a TM5402 without patches or add ons etc.?? It may work properly. Never had issues with TM5400 SUPER's . The NO SIGNAL message is normal when dish is moving because of time delay in getting to its destination. Always allow time for dish to reach its destination. You will not get this when travelling short distances ie from HOTBIRD to ASTRA 19.2 etc. And as already stated make sure dish is actually moving. If using 1.2 remember the dish will not move unless satellite has been previously found and stored. You will be left stuck on the current satellite which will also give you the NO SIGNAL messages because you assumed that it should have moved to a different satellite.

badman56
7th August, 2012, 09:39 AM
thanks for this - when you say 1.2 you mean dish size? its a 1.1 - apologies if im way off and you mean something else

its a real shame then if this is going to be life with the tm5420 as ive just been programming channels from scratch using Clarke Tech and have successfully done it but it was a nightmare as all it takes is one satellite to open on channel 1 with a no signal and then no bloody satellites work any more all saying no signal and i have to switch it off and mess about until one decides to open then its systems go again

i never really know what i can recieve or cant as if this glitch happens (which is all the time) then whole channel lists become one big No Or Bad Signal

i did a lot of research before buying this and all i read were glowing reports and the occasional niggle regarding the No Signal popping up before a channel came on but the whole thing is close to unusable as i cant work out what causes it to happen - it isnt just changing channels before moving to a satellite as for the past hour ive been waiting for 30 seconds but still it does it

all i can think is making elaborate Favorite lists to try and combat it to some extent

badman56
7th August, 2012, 09:59 AM
im actually reading that the motor stopping on channel change is a phantompatch issue with this latest patch - patch 1.17 didnt have this problem i am reading. will probably try that one to see if that is the cause

EDIT - 1.17 does have this same problem but patch 1.12 doesnt

digicon
7th August, 2012, 10:43 AM
Manic01 has it pretty much spot on do you change channels while the dish is moving, its always advisable to pick a channel then leave it until your dish arrives at that satellite.

Also seeing as you did your own list maybe that has a corruption, it would help if you post it on this thread as owners could test it for you to see if they experience the same problem.

I will give it a go to see if i can replicate the same problem.

badman56
8th August, 2012, 12:58 AM
absolutely let me attach it here - i was going to anyway but really i am just getting to grips with the forums/acceptable content at the same time as getting to grips with motorised satellite systems

and you're right i think ive rushed in too fast and not taken my time and that could be part of the problem i have here, as simply taking advice and slowing down before ruining all the bonuses i have here with the latest phantom and softcam maker, has led to a much more stable experience this evening where i simply allow a new satellite to open even if the first channel says No or Bad Signal - if i then give it another few seconds it usually opens and there are no further issues (and thank you to Manic for stating this obvious elsewhere to me too)

the list is the complete list and was created on Clarke Tech Studio using King Of Sat "Web Import" and then trimmed of 2006 channels that neither me or the mrs are interested in to reach the 10 000 criteria. No favorite channels added and all satellites (except a couple that i am very confused about why they go to No or Bad Signal immediately and suddenly without even trying to connect - LNB frequency need changing to Single?) tested and receivable in my location

would love feedback and maybe ill follow up with a few questions after someone has had chance to look at it as it was made with just over 48 hours experience of the motorised satellite hobby so i expect it to be riddled with novice errors

thanks for all your help - your support has so far made buying this box (despite ppls recent concerns with TM) worth every penny

badman56
8th August, 2012, 01:05 AM
and just as it may be of interest to some people with this channel change/satellite error glitch - i have been told that the last phantom to NOT have this problem was the 1.12 version and if i was to use that patch then this problem would cease but i would lose a lot of features that i may be taking for granted now - so i am going to give it a shot (after trying to use the system properly!) and revert back if the lack of features on the old patch is massively noticeable to me as a new owner - and i am imagining they will be

digicon
8th August, 2012, 01:29 AM
I will give the list a try for you sometime today probably afternoon, dont have a 5402 but my DrHD F15 is near idential in every way apart from the menu sytem.

Just out of curiosity is there any sats, channels that where problematic off the top of your head.

Regards

badman56
8th August, 2012, 02:40 AM
cant recall specifically which as i was still battling with the channel change issue but ill try again later now ive mastered the proper way to operate satellite changing

just to add how i generated this new list of satellites to scan on Kos i opened up the channel list that the installer had installed for me and id tested and displayed all of the satellite names on that default list in TM CHannel Editor

then i just went through Web import on Clarke Tech and found each satellite name on Kos and imported the updated 6/8/12 channel lists into a new Clarke Tech file - probably a silly way to do it all from scratch but it seemed to make sense if i only scanned the satellites that the installer had informed I could get

another issue that you will see in the list of satellites is a long list of un named 000 degree sats with nothing on them in red - i want to delete them but im unsure why theyve been generated so i havnt

the issue i had though was that even though all 9959 channels imported all i had then in my SAT menu on the 5420 was ALL SATELLITES - so i then went into INSTALLATION menu and selected each satellite individually and hit the yellow button to save and each one then showed up in order in my SAT menu but obviously im now thinking if any of them need a specific LNB setting that i am not aware of

digicon
8th August, 2012, 03:52 PM
Ok Tried the List its completely 'Borked' instead of just having Ku band in there you also have C-band and this is whats probably causing the no or bad signal.

It needs scrapping and starting a fresh with just Ku Band TP's in there.

badman56
8th August, 2012, 08:03 PM
thanks for taking the time to look at it - ill give it another go and research into the difference between the bands and why i ended up in such a mess with it - borked means screwed up with incorrect bands in the list im assuming? or is that another separate issue

digicon
8th August, 2012, 09:18 PM
thanks for taking the time to look at it - ill give it another go and research into the difference between the bands and why i ended up in such a mess with it - borked means screwed up with incorrect bands in the list im assuming? or is that another separate issue

Yes it does mate its screwed up when you import the list KOS imports all active transponders for each satellite which include KU band and C-Band delete any TP's that have the following index C,L,R these are the C-Band ones just stick with the Ku ones.

badman56
8th August, 2012, 11:10 PM
ahh that makes perfect sense as i did have the question "why cant i ever receive any tps that have R next to them when i look?" - right ive got it now at least on that score its got to be H or V