View Full Version : White Smoke after DPF removal

z786
15th August, 2012, 01:09 AM
Hi, over the years i have removed DPF

the files are 100% manual tested

on some cars there is still white smoke on idle

maybe oil in turbo???

any idea how to solve this??

willing to pay for solution, if u wana PM me because u dont want people to leech the solution plz do

thanks

spawns3
15th August, 2012, 01:20 AM
90% of times is turbo, white smoke when engine is cold and for a few seconds or some water on exhaust. And when is very cold the combustion of diesel make white smoke .
Look here
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_causes_white_smoke_from_a_diesel_engine

z786
15th August, 2012, 01:30 AM
i get it when its warm engine aswell mate

the file is 100% off by switch on every car

customers wont pay until smoke disappears

any idea how to flush it out?

thanks

spawns3
15th August, 2012, 01:34 AM
A PI can make a white smoke "diesel badly burned", but if ur file is working 100% , check the turbo and the EGT . if u get a high EGT maybe the car still regenerates .

Allmost turbos after some km consuming some oil .

Cheers

spawns3
15th August, 2012, 01:40 AM
But when the cars make white smoke , smells of burning oil, or diesel burned badly? the diesel burned badly irritates the eyes.

z786
15th August, 2012, 01:54 AM
egt and diff sensors are unplugged, edc16u31 audi

u knw who does my files and it has NEVER failed me once

done plenty of edc16

any other tips

Boras
15th August, 2012, 06:08 AM
Hi,
looks like mechanical problem on engine.
Check turbo and injectors
Boras

waldi1979
15th August, 2012, 07:22 AM
3.0 TDI?
Your problem - injectors.

serguei
15th August, 2012, 07:41 AM
I have the same problem. After 9 months, began to smoke Sprinter 906 311. Only at idle. Removal of the DPF correctly on other machines no problem. The solution is not found.

z786
15th August, 2012, 11:55 AM
its a 2.0 tdi. is there any chemical that will flush turbo

z786
15th August, 2012, 03:40 PM
any1???????????

niki85
15th August, 2012, 04:44 PM
i think it`s not turbo, white smoke is similar for too much air or less fuel, check for injectors correction on vag (on idle).
does car goes in limp mode after 70-80mph? does accelerate good or badly? check turbo pressure with vag on 3rd gear after 3000rpm (referent and real) check MAF value (maybe maf sensor sticking on high value), maybe egr stay opened,
there is no chemical for flush turbo, only tke off and put in big ultrasonic cleaner or clean by hand, but i don`t think it`s problem with dirty turbo, it will be clean after 5min of hardly drive.

regards

pablo1971
15th August, 2012, 07:00 PM
i would check the turbo mate.but ive had a few turbos were the oil seals go,andl it burns the white smoke......common as mud on v.a.g cars.

oil dripping from the pipe on turbo is a good sign,

kizagt
15th August, 2012, 08:24 PM
I Had this problem on my Corsa C 1.3cdti, but only sometimes white smoke, after a change injectors all ok. See does spent oil if spent 99% is turbo

electromech
15th August, 2012, 09:10 PM
read somewhere that they have issued a recall on the diesel injectors that causes white smoke and rough idle...cant remember where phone local stealer to see if vin falls in range???

smokey08
15th August, 2012, 09:52 PM
Have you given the car a good road test? When ever I have changed the injectors they run rough and some white smoke until they have had a drive.

macxlulu666
15th August, 2012, 09:58 PM
white smoke - REGENRATION DPF STILL ACTIVE !!!

z786
15th August, 2012, 10:28 PM
i'l send u a file, u stop the white smoke i'l pay u, ok?

Stanton
15th August, 2012, 10:54 PM
If its only on a few out of many cars, this would indicate isolated mechanical problems.

"White smoke" can be three things:

-Incorrect or partially burnt diesel fuel (injectors, low compression, poor cylinder heating, egr etc etc...there are many checks to do here, first off make sure the engine is healthy in itself.

-Water vapour (steam); head gasket, cracked head, water-in-fuel etc etc

-Vapourised engine oil; oil entering the turbine housing through poor sealing in the turbo.

Its not an easy symptom to identify unfortunately.

Larue
15th August, 2012, 10:58 PM
Injectors are adjustable on these engines. Could be worth checking.
@electromech
You are right about recall. There is recall for injectors on 170bHp engines with Siemens PPD engine management system from VW.

z786
15th August, 2012, 11:04 PM
this is a 140bhp block

its smells like burning oil and only starts puffing in traffic

Stanton
15th August, 2012, 11:12 PM
Cant see that being regen related, the strategies I am familiar with have minimum mass airflow triggers, which at idle or low load wouldnt be met; and minimum DOC temps, which again wouldnt be achieved under low load.

Is engine oil level dropping?

Stanton
15th August, 2012, 11:14 PM
And check engine leakage/compressions....low engine speed will exagerate low dynamic compression if cylinder sealing is poor.

flyins
15th August, 2012, 11:18 PM
It does sound like over fuelling of diesel (unburnt) especially with it being when car is at idle/slow traffic. If it was turbo i would expect it to happen more when revs higher through higher oil pressure. I have also had symptoms like this with a DPF off that wasnt correct on vectra c some time ago.

P.S. As spawn says, unburnt diesel irritates eyes more

wiseman
15th August, 2012, 11:26 PM
Check boost and intake pipes, maybe MAF is getting wrong values for air volume, also oil being burned would tend to have a blue tint to the smoke does it have this Z, if so oil may seep past the oil seal in turbo if the oil return pipe to the block is restricted with debris etc..

spawns3
15th August, 2012, 11:49 PM
Mate , yes i know who made the files and he done correctly ;) , but u don't tell me the brand of car ;) . So if is a VAG with PD injectors , first of all check the turbo , when the car is on idle make more smoke because the turbine have a low RPM and u have a 2,3 bar oil pressure and the oil passes through the drain . I have a lot problems on that engines with a remmap . I think u have a BPW engine or a 140hp with 8v. The last case i have , the car make that white smoke in cold and in hot , i took turbo change it and problem solved ;)

But log with vcds the channel 13 and see the injectors value , if u have a bad values change first only the installation cables "89?" .

Cheers

z786
16th August, 2012, 12:37 AM
car is audi a4 2.0 tdi s-line cabroliet

injectors in live data seem ok, smoke is mixture of white/grey/black when givin full throttle at standstill and big puffs of whit smoke at idle

car is 2009 with 50k genuine miles

turbo pulls fine, eve put cataclean and took it for a blast, still no go :(

spawns3
16th August, 2012, 12:39 AM
So it's a CR engine with edc17 ?

sorry u tell that use a edc16u31 so is a PD 140hp ;) Do u know the engine code ?

z786
16th August, 2012, 12:18 PM
bpw??????????

impactops
16th August, 2012, 01:41 PM
Can i ask a stupid question, i gather the smoke was not there before you removed DPF, so why not put it back and see if the smoke remains?

Regards
Impactops

z786
16th August, 2012, 02:04 PM
car came to me with dpf already knocked out and the smoke was there aswell

spawns3
17th August, 2012, 11:40 AM
bpw??????????

BPW = Engine code ! Mate if the car have already the problem and if u can't fix with DPF off 100% :S one time i have a problem on A4 to , change the turbo , the segments and bearings and car still with a white smoke ..For last change the head and problem solved .

Gery
17th August, 2012, 05:29 PM
Not good the softwer , or the exhaust thermometer .

Gery
17th August, 2012, 05:33 PM
Low or wrong exhaust temperature , the engine heats the exhaust .

powertdi
18th August, 2012, 02:32 PM
Good Thread cause its a real trouble on many other brands of diesel engines. I have few of it. And first time after few day I found leakege exhaust . It was VW Crafter.edc16, Second one was also a crafter and It was a EGR COOLER.
But here as I sugess Its a OIL leak in turbo ( said many people before) or egr cooler. Cause low RPM have smoke , Hi RPM- not to much. Need check this 2 componets and you get it done!!!!!!!!!!!
DKs 4 EVER!

Artilect
18th August, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hallo mate. It seems to be a problem that we all have already seen. The white smokes at idle and grey/black smoke at acceleration vas definitely before you have made the DPF OFF. The costumer just didn***8217;t see it because DPF has hiding the symptoms.

I have very similar problem with Touran 2.0TDI 140PS with BMM engine code. We have made all kinds of repairing, from injector harness to turbo changing and nothing. At the end vas gasket between tandem pump and engine head. And the fuel has draining between pressure and return channel. So it was not enough fuel pressure for injectors and amount of fuel injected was too low ***8211; white smoke.

Please check the engine readings at idle for following:
Chanel 4 field 4 ***8211; idle correction. I should be around 0 can vary +-6 teoreticly but in praxis only 2,5
Chanel 13 field 1,2,3 and 4 ***8211; injection correction
I can also be the bad engine head or EGR cooler, but then you will have also rough idle and water loses.

You should also check the camshaft.

BR

z786
19th August, 2012, 01:05 AM
ok a few things,

what is a tandem pump?

pressure and return channel?

if oil is leaking inside turbo can it be fixed?

how do i fix egr cooler?

thanks

diga1
19th August, 2012, 09:11 AM
tandem pump is high pressure pump for diesel that is boulted on motor head it shuld be at back of the engine look vhere fuel pipes go.
you have two channels in the cylinder head one is pressure chanel, the pump makes pressure up to 1000 bar vhen driving car. return channel is for unused fuel vich goes back to pump.
my suggestion is to take off the intake and pressure pipe of turbo and see if it has a lot of oil in it and check that propelers in the turbo if they go up and down the can go up and down for abouth 2 mm if there is more turbo is damage. and check if they go in and out there shuldnt be any air. if turbo is ok take out injectors and take them to a test.

you cant fix turbo at home you must balance the propellers after canging the gasket

tell me if you drive a car rough and then stop and look at exoust does it start smoking right away or after some time

( try to unplug maf) and see

z786
19th August, 2012, 10:52 AM
unplugged maf makes no difference
if you drive car rough there is no smoke, when u stop after 5 seconds smoke starts blowing out in big puffs

shadow12
19th August, 2012, 11:13 AM
recently had 2006 pd engine passatt in with injector problems, 95% sure it was 140 bhp, main dealer replaced all 4 injectors for free under recall, this was smoking badly

daniel guerra
19th August, 2012, 02:28 PM
tandem pump is high pressure pump for diesel that is boulted on motor head it shuld be at back of the engine look vhere fuel pipes go.
you have two channels in the cylinder head one is pressure chanel, the pump makes pressure up to 1000 bar vhen driving car. return channel is for unused fuel vich goes back to pump.
my suggestion is to take off the intake and pressure pipe of turbo and see if it has a lot of oil in it and check that propelers in the turbo if they go up and down the can go up and down for abouth 2 mm if there is more turbo is damage. and check if they go in and out there shuldnt be any air. if turbo is ok take out injectors and take them to a test.

you cant fix turbo at home you must balance the propellers after canging the gasket

tell me if you drive a car rough and then stop and look at exoust does it start smoking right away or after some time

( try to unplug maf) and see

In what regards to fuel pump i believe you're mistaken, tandem pump is low fuel pressure pump, at 1500 Rev's the tandem pump needs to produce at least 3.5Bars. Injector unit will then be the high pressure pump, it can produce pressures between the 1870 and 1920 Bars.

Regards,

diga1
20th August, 2012, 07:46 PM
you have injector problem take them to test in bosch service and you vill se that one of them is pissing

unplugged maf makes no difference
if you drive car rough there is no smoke, when u stop after 5 seconds smoke starts blowing out in big puffs

z786
20th August, 2012, 09:23 PM
the brakes are shit on this car aswell!! lol

also i had some1 follow me on motorway and they said car was constantly smoking on high speeds (60mph)

spawns3
22nd August, 2012, 12:00 AM
Mate , tell me the engine code . I have speak with a friends who work on dealer workshop , and he tell me to see the EGR and the tandem pump . But if u tell me the engine code it's more easy to tell u the causes of ur problem .

The most commom problem with injectors is on siemens not bosch.

Cheers

spawns3
22nd August, 2012, 12:04 AM

also i had some1 follow me on motorway and they said car was constantly smoking on high speeds (60mph)

And the oil level ? Do u see it ? If the oil keeps ok , u have a combustion problem ..

arvedo
2nd September, 2012, 09:24 AM
friend same problem as yours and injector change out problems when mounting that regular occurrence, Greetings

turner
2nd September, 2012, 07:50 PM

Plug a vacuum gauge with a "T" piece as close as possible to the vacuum pump, start the engine, what is the vacuum? Does it shoot to that figure or jump lower and then climb?

What is the output voltage at the MAF at idle?

z786
2nd September, 2012, 09:15 PM
pablo took car from me and hes found alot of oil in intercooler pipes :(

jnoroeste
2nd September, 2012, 10:42 PM
3.0 TDI?
Your problem - injectors.

Hi M8?s,

I agree with him, check injector values with vagcom, some is close to die.

Good luck!

pablo1971
2nd September, 2012, 11:11 PM
thanks for all the suggestions.....its appreciated.....i have checked the injector values,and all seem ok.

the smoke is very weird....as it dont happen all the time.
very hit and miss,but when it smokes,it pours out...and does smell like oil.

I checked the intercooler pipes and they are covered with oil.

jnoroeste
3rd September, 2012, 12:48 AM
Hi M8,

It?s usual found near to half liter of oil into intercooler pipes, check oil level and smell it, looking for high levels of diesel in, check turbocharger pressure(log) and egr system.

Regards.

spawns3
11th September, 2012, 09:59 AM
Hi, over the years i have removed DPF

the files are 100% manual tested

on some cars there is still white smoke on idle

maybe oil in turbo???

any idea how to solve this??

willing to pay for solution, if u wana PM me because u dont want people to leech the solution plz do

thanks

Mate do you solve your problem ? The last week i get one with the same problem . Check everything and still the white smoke.But after change one part the white smoke go away and don't have nothing to do with turbo , DPF or even oil .. Change the Cap valves ;) don't ask me why . Open it and u gonna see why ;)

Cheers

Artilect
11th September, 2012, 01:14 PM
What do you mean with "Cap valves". Do you mean the hydraulic valve pushers? Then is the chamshaft bad also?
Please explain more.

BR

spawns3
11th September, 2012, 02:09 PM
What do you mean with "Cap valves". Do you mean the hydraulic valve pushers? Then is the chamshaft bad also?
Please explain more.

BR

The engine cover valves ;)

pablo1971
11th September, 2012, 02:12 PM
lol,im confused now. . . . Do u mean the injector rubber seals. . Or the valve stem oil seals.

spawns3
11th September, 2012, 02:12 PM
thanks for all the suggestions.....its appreciated.....i have checked the injector values,and all seem ok.

the smoke is very weird....as it dont happen all the time.
very hit and miss,but when it smokes,it pours out...and does smell like oil.

I checked the intercooler pipes and they are covered with oil.

these are the symptoms.this happens in engines 2.5 tdi too!That oil u have in FMIC Pipes come from the engine breather . the breather stuck and then u have some pressure in breather and causes this problem .

spawns3
11th September, 2012, 02:17 PM
lol,im confused now. . . . Do u mean the injector rubber seals. . Or the valve stem oil seals.

Mate sorry about my english. but here in portugal we call " Tampa de Valvulas"

here a picture

http://www.google.pt/imgres?q=Valve+cover+2.0+TDI&um=1&hl=pt-PT&biw=1440&bih=799&tbm=isch&tbnid=MPM3VZ6uQO3Y5M:&imgrefurl=http://www.hansautoparts.com/03L103469ValveCover.aspx&docid=N7u104mtk9uZHM&imgurl=http://www.convertiblewindscreen.co.uk/images/03L103469.jpg&w=654&h=297&ei=GjpPUN-nI4eb1AWzmoGoCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=736&vpy=173&dur=645&hovh=151&hovw=333&tx=179&ty=65&sig=115857519693943992384&page=1&tbnh=85&tbnw=187&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:78

daniel guerra
11th September, 2012, 08:19 PM
Spawns, you meant to say engine head cover ;)

The crankcase breather got blocked?

spawns3
11th September, 2012, 10:04 PM
Yes mate thanks ;)

daniel guerra
11th September, 2012, 10:19 PM
That's always good info mate, thanks for sharing!