PDA

View Full Version : 14.6 image (getepg locks up the box)

spudorange
19th August, 2012, 06:18 PM
Hi have quite a few of these dreambox 500's pass my way and I have changed them all over to 14.6 from pli, mainly because of the excellent epg.

The problem I have on 2 boxes is as follows.

Box 1 starts to "loadgetepg" and finishes in 3 seconds, press ok. Box is then locked solid, the remote does activate the led on box
but the box does not respond without a hard reboot.

Box 2 Exactly the same as above except it does get the epg then locks the same.

I have had the first problem before with it getting epg in seconds (so not actually getting it) but not had the locking up problem.

Flashing does not help, although obviously I can try again.

appreciate if anyone could share some light

smirnoff_rules
19th August, 2012, 06:34 PM
there is an option to change tuner drivers in services l think , might be an idea changing that

spudorange
19th August, 2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks

looked for it but can not find it

any ideas please

there is an option to change tuner drivers in services l think , might be an idea changing that

smirnoff_rules
19th August, 2012, 06:41 PM
heres my backup from birmingham so u might have to change area http://www.filedropper.com/c146-dm500-backup channels already scanned and timers set to upload epg at 3 in the morning and go onto standby

spudorange
19th August, 2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks

I have my setup perfect on them but your efforts are appreciated (the only plugin I use is the "loadgetepg" one set for 4am)

I just need to stop this lock up as it's the very thing I want (the epg) that is causing the problem.

can not find a setting for tuner either in case it is that

heres my backup from birmingham so u might have to change area http://www.filedropper.com/c146-dm500-backup channels already scanned and timers set to upload epg at 3 in the morning and go onto standby

smirnoff_rules
19th August, 2012, 07:01 PM
its in setting but looks like theres been a change from 14.5

spudorange
19th August, 2012, 09:19 PM
can't find the blessed thing

its in setting but looks like theres been a change from 14.5

PaphosAL
20th August, 2012, 11:01 AM
The box where GetEPG apparently cycles in only 3 secs, can you telnet in and type the command getepg <enter> please? Then observe console output to see if any error message is reported,

Support for users to experiment with different head.ko drivers in /var/driver folder came out with Commando 14 but was never a GUI menu item. LraiZer even included error trapping code to prevent the Gemini 'clone bomb' driver from being inadvertently loaded. But this is not an epg issue, more to do with random blackouts if the box is equipped with a crap Philips tuner, rather than Alps -S

You can see which type of tuner you have with BLUE > MENU > YELLOW > YELLOW and then scroll down to the last few lines where it says nim=

Back to the GetEPG. In FTP go to the /var/bin folder and check these scripts exist and are all 755

getepg
getepg-msg
getepg-now
miniops
weekepgset

Are all these files dated 23/06/2012 or have any of them been edited with a crap text editor like Wordpad, Notepad or the FTP Internal editor? If everything seems in order, my guess is that this is a corrupted flash.

Cheers- AL :)

spudorange
20th August, 2012, 02:42 PM
can not telnet in I get busybox v1.17 etc error after I get to dreambox login and enter "root", If I put in "dreambox" for example it then asks for password and I put dreambox in it says incorrect password.

SO entering correct "root" puts me into that busybox error.

Going to replash and report back

incidentally if the 755 you mean is file size then mine are wrong, correct date though.

mine show
getepg 318
getepg-msg 369
getepg-now 174
miniops 3k
weekepgset 2k

Back once flashed

ta

The box where GetEPG apparently cycles in only 3 secs, can you telnet in and type the command getepg <enter> please? Then observe console output to see if any error message is reported,

Support for users to experiment with different head.ko drivers in /var/driver folder came out with Commando 14 but was never a GUI menu item. LraiZer even included error trapping code to prevent the Gemini 'clone bomb' driver from being inadvertently loaded. But this is not an epg issue, more to do with random blackouts if the box is equipped with a crap Philips tuner, rather than Alps -S

You can see which type of tuner you have with BLUE > MENU > YELLOW > YELLOW and then scroll down to the last few lines where it says nim=

Back to the GetEPG. In FTP go to the /var/bin folder and check these scripts exist and are all 755

getepg
getepg-msg
getepg-now
miniops
weekepgset

Are all these files dated 23/06/2012 or have any of them been edited with a crap text editor like Wordpad, Notepad or the FTP Internal editor? If everything seems in order, my guess is that this is a corrupted flash.

Cheers- AL :)

spudorange
20th August, 2012, 03:13 PM
Must have been as you say a bad flash.

after getting epg this time I noticed it said remote control reactivated and everything is responding now

thanks to all

PaphosAL
20th August, 2012, 07:46 PM
Nowt to do with file sizes in bytes, 755 means chmod 755 meaning it's got executable binary or script permissions, as opposed to the default chmod 644 (which linux will refuse to run)

So it was a bad flash after all. Same probably applies to the second box as well.

You guys have to realize that what LraiZer has created here with GetEPG is sheer perfection personified. It does take 3 to 4 minutes, which is why we suggest running it during the ads. And yes, during processing, he locks out the R/C, as if this was pressed, it would screw it!!

But better still, set it up as a daily plugin Timer, like it seems you're doing. Or even better, set it to run after a Reboot, then set a daily Reboot plugin (or Shutdown) timer. We've found since C14.6 release that the "Timer Type = Shutdown" actually does a controlled Menu reboot of the box, the DM500 having no shutdown mode as such, like the old dBox2 did.

So we're revamping this aspect for the C14.7 issue coming in Autumn...

Cheers- AL ;)

spudorange
21st August, 2012, 11:05 AM
thanks for that info and yes, absolutely agree

Cracking bit (lot) of work, it is SO SO much better than pli now the epg works the way it does

Nowt to do with file sizes in bytes, 755 means chmod 755 meaning it's got executable binary or script permissions, as opposed to the default chmod 644 (which linux will refuse to run)

So it was a bad flash after all. Same probably applies to the second box as well.

You guys have to realize that what LraiZer has created here with GetEPG is sheer perfection personified. It does take 3 to 4 minutes, which is why we suggest running it during the ads. And yes, during processing, he locks out the R/C, as if this was pressed, it would screw it!!

But better still, set it up as a daily plugin Timer, like it seems you're doing. Or even better, set it to run after a Reboot, then set a daily Reboot plugin (or Shutdown) timer. We've found since C14.6 release that the "Timer Type = Shutdown" actually does a controlled Menu reboot of the box, the DM500 having no shutdown mode as such, like the old dBox2 did.

So we're revamping this aspect for the C14.7 issue coming in Autumn...

Cheers- AL ;)