PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate struts

AirShowNut
7th February, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hi all.
Does anyone know if it is possible to refurbish tailgate struts ?
The ones on my Primera have stopped doing what they are supposed to do,hold the tailgate open.I notice on the ends of the plastic sections what looks like grease ? and wondered if they had been done already and if so could they be refurbed again.I have checked prices locally and on the net for a new set but the average price is ?59.99 the local car breakers don't have any in stock so wondered about refurbishing them.
Thanks.

smirnoff_rules
7th February, 2009, 01:14 PM
theres a few on ebay ,, it might only be one thats week .. remove one at a time and push on it if u can move it its ~~~~ed Primera TAILGATE, Cars, Parts Vehicles, Nissan items at low prices on eBay.co.uk (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=Primera+TAILGATE&_sacat=See-All-Categories)

cactikid
7th February, 2009, 05:54 PM
what i used with old micra was a brush handle with rubber ends off walking stick cheap alternative.

AirShowNut
8th February, 2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the link Smirnoff.I was hoping to pay less than that though as i may be changing the car sometime this year,just wanted to stop getting smacked on my brain box so much lol.

melloned
9th February, 2009, 01:54 AM
Give your local scrappy a visit mate and take an old one with you , many of these small gas struts aren't vehicle specific .
I got a pair off a Renault , that fit my mondeo a treat , ?8 for the pair , including the brackets off the door and boot , should you need them .

gmb45
9th February, 2009, 05:32 AM
Hi all.
Does anyone know if it is possible to refurbish tailgate struts ?
The ones on my Primera have stopped doing what they are supposed to do,hold the tailgate open.I notice on the ends of the plastic sections what looks like grease ? and wondered if they had been done already and if so could they be refurbed again.I have checked prices locally and on the net for a new set but the average price is ?59.99 the local car breakers don't have any in stock so wondered about refurbishing them.
Thanks.as melloned said m8 scrappers best option and cheapest no more than ?10