PDA

View Full Version : Any fridge engineers here?

krazylegz
1st September, 2012, 11:26 PM
Hi all :)

My whirlpool FRSS2VAF20/0 has given up the chase.

The freezer is spot on and ice cold, but the fridge just seems warm to me, can't check the exact temp until I get a thermometer tomorrow, it certainly isn't the 2c the front is set at.

I've been reading around and I've took off the top cover in the fridge, the finson the air diffuser are only slightly open. However I can feel any air blowing in from the fan when I remove the air diffuser.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

thanks

johnboy1974
2nd September, 2012, 11:02 AM
Is there anyway you can check the voltage going to the fan with a mutimeter. If the voltage is there then that would suggest the fan is gubbed.

adedave
2nd September, 2012, 12:04 PM
your fridge freezer will have 2 compressors, one for the freezer and one for the refrigerator
Look at the thermostat in the fridge is it ok ?

Meat-Head
2nd September, 2012, 01:26 PM
Yes agree with thermostat idea - try winding up and down and give it a thump.

could also be compresser.

Perhaps you could ask a Mod :roflmao: to move this thread to the correct section :roflmao: Home and Garden (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f183/)

krazylegz
2nd September, 2012, 03:41 PM
Lmao I was half cut when I posted.... If only there was a mod about to move it lol

I've had the back of the freezer off to expose the fan and it does spin, goes on and off, which I presume is meant to do that.

So it looks like I'm torn between the thermostat and air diffuser, but swaying towards the diffuser since the thermostat is in the freezer next to the fan and the freezer is at -20c

Sent from my iPhone using fingers and thumbs!

Meat-Head
2nd September, 2012, 09:55 PM
slightly confused at what is going on, but as it's cold already - sorry hot already, if you leave the fridge door open, can you hear

"ping - CLICK" - FEW MINS LATER "ping - CLICK"?

sounds like compresser is ****ed - again look at the interior light see if it dips evry couple of mins.

if you wind the thermostat up/down and wait a few mins.

super jumbe
4th September, 2012, 12:08 AM
Krazylegz how did you got on with your fridge?

Might only need to pump more gas in the system, the compressor might be running without gas simple as that?? lol :beerglass:

Meat-Head
4th September, 2012, 07:58 AM
ok he has no gas, so why did it leak out of copper pipes!

Meat-Head
12th September, 2012, 09:16 PM
*BUMPING*

Becasue i havent paid my subscription yet, felt guity about leeching off here.

So i found some INFERIOR website dedicatated to "white goods".

1) If it got really cold before packed up - gas leak
2) Link thermostat with a bit of wire - just for a short time - inside fridge compartment
3) Ebay for capaitor - rumor going around commom fault on whatever machine.

HTH

Meat.

tomhick024
21st July, 2013, 01:22 PM
Well... looks like I have the same prob with my side by side whirlpool fridge freezer..
Few things before I Start ;; has issues with the fridge not cooling enough before and found the cooling rad like system is under the fridge unit to be completely full of dust and after cleaning (very poor design) -fridge cooling acceptably again,, Checked and cleaned it yesterday but made no difference.. the 6 inch(approx.) fan is working at the back. forgot to add the freezer side is working perfect.
Never really looked at this thing electrically before but I took the cover off the air diffuser in the top of the fridge section and there was a very small blow of cool air from it but I mean very small, my pc fan would be 5 time stronger to give an idea of what is coming out of it!!
Any ideas where the thermostat is located or how I would check it?
I'm not a complete electrical virgin so hopefully only need a few pointers :top:
Thanks

checking it now again with door switch closed there is sweet F all air coming from diffuser, fridge temp set a 2degrees and the 6th sense icon is on !!
any way of checking this thing?

Meat-Head
21st July, 2013, 05:54 PM
No but on face value sounds like a filter blocked with dust?

type filter and make and or model in ebay see what galpebs

tomhick024
21st July, 2013, 11:04 PM
Investigated a bit further after and I took out the air diffuser and checked the slide which I found to be broken...a common fault across a lot of models.
Hopefully it answers all my problems but wont know for sure until replacement slide arrives!!

I removed the slide completely and fridge now seem to be getting cold.
Ill report back when I get the new part.

Thanks to this video : Whirlpool Smeg Hotpoint Air Diffuser - Air Baffle - Air damper - Motorised baffle check guide - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKSinrNAzKg)

tomhick024
30th July, 2013, 06:41 PM
Well, fridge is sorted!!:joyous:
Replaced the broken slide/baffle and its perfect now so if anyone has the symptoms described on the first post.. this route is def the way to go!!
When I removed the slide completely while I was waiting for the spare to arrive the fridge was super cold but it got me out of trouble and saved me storing stuff in the neighbour's fridge.
Hope this info helps someone out at some stage!!

Meat-Head
30th July, 2013, 08:09 PM
Well you could next time set to cool fridge, then put timer on mains on for 1 hour off hour, as long as you dont keep dogging by flashing the interior light hy opening the door should be good