PDA

View Full Version : pebbledash rendering repairs

johnboy1974
2nd September, 2012, 06:54 PM
Guys i need to do do some repairs to the pebledash render on the house. As you can see its all started to come away from the brickwork. I know i will have to chisel all the loose stuff away and then wash down the brickwork but i need some help with what mortar to use and what type of shingle is currently on the house. Any help is much appreciated.

lagerland
3rd September, 2012, 08:19 AM
With the amount of red in it john it looks suspiciously like canterbury spar but well weathered.For the mix m8 4 sand to 1 cement and give it a good coat of unibond first...................

DOUGALMCD
3rd September, 2012, 09:35 AM
lagerland your good it's deffo canterbury spar.

johnboy1974
3rd September, 2012, 10:17 AM
With the amount of red in it john it looks suspiciously like canterbury spar but well weathered.For the mix m8 4 sand to 1 cement and give it a good coat of unibond first...................

Thanks mate I was reading on the Internet that I should use lime in the mix. So you reckon 4 sand 1 cement then just flick the stones on to it then.

gmb45
3rd September, 2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks mate I was reading on the Internet that I should use lime in the mix. So you reckon 4 sand 1 cement then just flick the stones on to it then.

lime good i used to use 4-1-1 mix when rendering sets rock hard, one thing to remember tho if you want a really light grey coloured mix when dry use yellow sand, if you want a darker coloured grey mix when dry use red sand. you can also buy fibers that you add to the mix, stops it cracking, but you only have a bit to do so wouldnt really need this

lagerland
3rd September, 2012, 10:31 AM

Get a little shovel or gardening trowel m8 your be there a month of sundays otherwise...............

Never used lime meself r leave that upto you m8..................

4got to say m8 without sounding patronising dont 4get the waterproofer in the scratch coat.Otherwise your spar will end up the the floor and not the wall when you go to dash it.................:laugh: