PDA

View Full Version : Engine position sensor

pbateman
3rd September, 2012, 06:33 AM
hey fellow dk friends was needing to pick some brains out there have an 2008 isx where when using data monitor on insite its telling me no voltage going to sensor but when I pull the lead i get 5 volts i have pulled it and cam sensor and replaced both and still no change was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue or any suggestions that might be helpful and all wiring to sensor is good and power pin out from ecm to sensor is good. thanks for any help in advance.:bounce:

540IROC
3rd September, 2012, 06:32 PM
Possible bad ECM

degame88
3rd September, 2012, 09:06 PM
insite wil show u current above normally wen u doin scan,change the engin harness first then then the ecm.

pbateman
3rd September, 2012, 09:52 PM
yeah thought it was ecm also and tired another one that didn't solve issue and was hoping someone ran across this issue I've got 2 trucks with the same issue

540IROC
3rd September, 2012, 10:03 PM
Unplug the sensor and use a small light to put a load on the circuit. Even though you're getting 5v to the sensor, voltage may drop right off if there's a load. With a light at the end of the circuit, you should have 5v input into the light.

sskarroum
3rd September, 2012, 11:13 PM
check the engine timing gears, may one of these gears is broken or free, i lived this problem with that dammit cummins isx and found out that one gear is free.
i hope i helped..

MEGAD3TH
4th September, 2012, 12:38 AM
Unplug the ecm and sensor, check your wiring but with a 12v seal beam. if its a resistance mather you should find it. a light connect directly on the 5v , i wouldn recomend that... dont load the ecm output. with the ecm and sensor unplug and a seal beam plug a one end of the wire jump direct 12v from the other end. if the seal beam light ok, check all other wire of the sensor the same way.

and of course sskarroum have a good point here to.

If you want the troubleshoot tree for your probleme, give me your ESN and the fault code, i'll get it for you, i have quickserve online acces.

mathura
4th September, 2012, 01:33 AM
The harness is always the one to create these probelms, its a lot of pain to deal with this kind of probelm, but never rely on continunity testing, the harness will read ok but the probelm is always the plug and pins of the ecm

I have seen this a number of times when other Technicians failed and they are cummins certified, however dont rule out sskarroum.

MEGAD3TH
4th September, 2012, 10:27 PM
mathura you are absolutly right, i use the seal beam test and almost everytime it was a wiring problem... i alway check the ecm and sensore, pin an connector at each end of the circuit, if finding where the wire is cut or damage is lookin to be to long and expensive for the custumer (105$can / hour ) we just unplug the wire at each end and pass a new one from ecm to sensor. of course we take care of installing the new wire loomed properly and with the cummins harnes.

sometimes you cant do that because some wires have couple of splice in it and goes to more than one sensor...

in this situation, take out all the loom over the wire and follow it , do pull test to see if the wire is not broke in the insulation (seen that a couple of times)

pbateman
5th September, 2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks guys for the inputs have insite and have followed the fault tree the problem is it's not throwing a code it's just showing up in the data monitor logger with insite as being bad have run into this for a second time now I've got 2 trucks that are showing the sensor bad but all else checks out will check out what sskarroum has posted and what mathura and megad3th have posted and let you all know what I find

IYA
8th January, 2013, 04:14 AM
Thanks guys for the inputs have insite and have followed the fault tree the problem is it's not throwing a code it's just showing up in the data monitor logger with insite as being bad have run into this for a second time now I've got 2 trucks that are showing the sensor bad but all else checks out will check out what sskarroum has posted and what mathura and megad3th have posted and let you all know what I find

Any issues with truck.Can be an Insite glitch.If seen it before on other engines.

pbateman
8th January, 2013, 01:50 PM
Sorry for a late update but the issue was a wiring issue had a burnt wire just inside the weather pack fitting. But it was just enough where it would make contact and any type of vibration would throw the fault.Yes and insite does have a few glitches. But thanks for the input IYA. I know the problem for a lot of us getting back to tell about what we find is sometimes hard due to having many different tasks we have to do to keep fleets going or just traveling from site to site with other issues that another shop might be having. I know for us the past yr was busy due to opening and reopening some shops due to cutomers coming back. But it would be nice to see more post on troubles that we all have experienced and sharing on here. I know one of the biggest contributers as far as this goes is mathura. Its a big help when we can share the issue were having and seeing post by other fellow Dk friends sharing their experiences. I believe this is what DK is all about. I know its not just programs but to help one another when we may have over looked something and someone else may be able to help what we have over looked.