PDA

View Full Version : Garage Lighting

Chalkywhite
5th September, 2012, 02:58 PM
Im cleaning out my garage (its about 30 foot away from my house) and im thinking of putting a light source in there, was thinking of just running an extension lead up the path to the back of the garage and knocking a brick out.. anyone got any ideas on what kind of lights i can put in there running of a extension lead cheers..

Cod3waX
5th September, 2012, 06:10 PM
i have visioned u running down ur garden with an extension leaded lamp

if u have a proper job or hardware store near u i would go and get myself 40ft of cable, plug, light switch and a normal standard light fitting or a strip-light might be better depending on size of the garage

also u want to bury ur cable from the house to the garage and run the cable up the garage and go through under the roof

indienick
5th September, 2012, 06:25 PM
this doesn't sound like a good plan m8

get some wire you can bury, or put some normal wire inside a pvc pipe and bury that.

drill a hole through the brick, run the conduit through the brick and install light switch / electrical outlet right there on inside of garage. silicone / seal it well.

then the rest is easy....you can use some nice conduit to cover the wiring if you don't want to fish it in the walls.

after all that is done....i am pretty ghetto fabulous - i just bought a male 110 plug, attached it to my wire and plugged in a socket in my basement that had no load on it. the proper way is to add breaker to panel. my situation was only for a dog house though - one fluorescent light and a small heater.

Chalkywhite
6th September, 2012, 01:20 PM
Im not able to bury any cable really unless i dig up half the public footpath as it runs behind the garage and its all tarmac,i just wanted to light the garage only for an hour or so a few times a week as im putting some qym equipment,so im looking for a few strip lights if i can get them that just plug in to an extension.. cheers.

ITS A SCAM !
6th September, 2012, 09:42 PM
Can you send the cable overhead ?? If its possible you can use some cetenary wire to provide a galvanised overhead support wire, then attach your extension lead to that. then you have no need to run the cable everytime you need to use it. Apart from that you can use loads of 12volt led lamps and power them with a 12 car battery. But ideally a overhead cable is the only option if you cannot bury a cable.

firestorm
6th September, 2012, 09:59 PM
Before running any cable outside make sure you have an RCD rated at 30ma trip current or less.If you use an extension lead make sure it a good quality one with at least 1.5mm cable to account for the volt drop.

Meat-Head
12th September, 2012, 09:14 PM
Emerican way:-

i just bought a male 110 plug, attached it to my wire and plugged in a socket in my basement that had no load on it. the proper way is to add breaker to panel. my situation was only for a dog house though - one fluorescent light and a small heater.

Inglish way:-

Before running any cable outside make sure you have an RCD rated at 30ma trip current or less.If you use an extension lead make sure it a good quality one with at least 1.5mm cable to account for the volt drop.

The longer the run the more the volt drop.
If you use thin cable and stick a cement mixer on it, it will cause the motor to burn out. - something to do with back EMF

Meat-Head
3rd October, 2012, 07:34 AM
bump, what did you do -two croc clips across a rsailroad line

mport343
27th November, 2012, 10:57 AM
Emerican way:-

Inglish way:-

The longer the run the more the volt drop.
If you use thin cable and stick a cement mixer on it, it will cause the motor to burn out. - something to do with back EMF

Surely if you plug a large motor into a supply with a drop in voltage, it'll draw more current(amps) and pop the fuse or worse, burn out the cable!?

manutd4life
27th November, 2012, 07:19 PM
Get some swa. The extension lead won't last long, especially once it get chewed to ****!

Meat-Head
27th November, 2012, 10:14 PM
Surely if you plug a large motor into a supply with a drop in voltage, it'll draw more current(amps) and pop the fuse or worse, burn out the cable!?

No, if you run a motor, bulb etc etc on a lower voltage it will draw less currant.

OFF TOPIC:-

If you get some thick builder overload the mixer then yes that will draw more gg's.

(http://www.rapidplant.com/spec_sheets/belle_mini_150_opmanual.pdf)http://www.rapidplant.com/spec_sheets/belle_mini_150_opmanual.pdf (http://www.rapidplant.com/spec_sheets/belle_mini_150_opmanual.pdf)

Above link, look at mantanese, says max length of an exten cord 30 meters

Get some swa. The extension lead won't last long, especially once it get chewed to ****!

A used car sales man, AKA rat can chew throw armored cable