PDA

View Full Version : CUMMINS C 8.3 high oil consumption

dimitar22
14th September, 2012, 06:12 PM
I have problem with CUMMINS C 8.3 it has high oil consumption, the engine is overhauled by me 3 month ago, the engine had this kind of problem before it was overhauled, the cylinder liners and piston rings were destroyed all the parts i have fitted were genuine cummins and oil wurth 20W50

The first service was done after 150 by the owner of the machine i don't know what kind of oil they have put in now it has done around 350 working hours and it has oil consumption of 3-4 liters per 8 hour shift, there are no external leaks the engine starts and runs fine.

What might be the problem?
Do you think that the quality of the oil can be the problem because
the problem has started after they have changed the oil at 150 working hours.

Is it possible that the engine will consume that much oil due to low quality.
Or is it possible to have an other problem with piston rings?

mondao
15th September, 2012, 05:22 AM
oil drain and filter change intervals are a critical factor in engine performance and durability Maintaining, I think 250 hours is the maximum acceptable

MEGAD3TH
15th September, 2012, 06:27 AM
turbocharger, valve seal, common problem on cummins...

Oil Quality for sure... and intervals.

Is the engine overheat?? the oil burn and fail to do the job sometimes after overheating...

If the engine equip with a "repto" check the pump seal and everything.

When you overall it, did you notice carbon on the ring groove. sometimes the ring stick in the carbon an that cause lot of oil consomption...

good luck and keep us update if you find something

dimitar22
15th September, 2012, 11:32 AM
I think that the problem is solved i found that the rubber seal on oil filling hole on engine cover was broken and during engine operation oil was leaking from there.

Will see after few days weeder there will be oil consumption or not.

dimitar22
17th September, 2012, 05:55 PM
Removed the cylinder head and pistons today, piston rings are worn out, can you believe that piston rings can get worn out after 2 months and 300 working hours.

MEGAD3TH
18th September, 2012, 05:36 PM
i can beleive it if the engine breath dirt... Check all intake connection... air cleaner and make shure everything is tight and seal properly.

It only take 3 tea spoon of dirt to destroy an engine ;)

dimitar22
18th September, 2012, 07:12 PM
All intake connections are ok, some one have removed the secondary air filter, the engine was running just on primary air filter in very bad conditions lot of dust

Gear head
18th September, 2012, 11:30 PM
Was the head checked intake valve guides can be a problem. Can intake be removed while head is on if so look at valves you will see oil in this area. Does it smoke blue during operation? If its coming from motor pull exhaust manifold to find which cylinder or cylinders is the calprit. It always are the intake valves that show because of the motor sucking the oil out. That doesnt mean that exhaust guides are not bad.