PDA

View Full Version : Vu solo recording space

mrblue
16th September, 2012, 08:21 PM
I set up my brothers vu solo last week with 160gb external hard drive. He phoned me today to say the hard drive was full and no more recording was allowed.

He said he has only done like 5 hours recording and he doesnt even have a hd tv so recording could not be that big in size.

Im just wondering that when you delete a recording, do you have to go to another directory of the hdd to remove the completely.

cactikid
16th September, 2012, 08:32 PM
try green button may bring up old timer lists and blue to clear ,also trashcan may need to be emptied,5 hrs is not big so it may depend on what size of hdd it sees.

mrblue
16th September, 2012, 09:00 PM
Its a 160gb hdd but it showed up 148gb when I set box up.

Yea I think there is a deleted items folder that shows up when you press the button beside the menu button.

Maybe you need to empty that to clear up space as I told him just to press red for delete in that media bit..

Also how do you specify if you want it to be HD recording or SD recording or does the box make that decision based on what channel you are on, ie Sky Sports 1 HD, Sky Sports 1 SD

cactikid
16th September, 2012, 10:13 PM
if you select a hd program it will record as a hd program,if using scart dont know if you can view it?say sky news hd,other sky news is just sd.smaller space needed on hdd.
sometimes your bouquets can list hd channels only as all in one place ,any hd program will have hd after the name so you know it is hd,others are standard .

mrblue
16th September, 2012, 10:41 PM
No you can actually watch a hd channel ok on a standard fat tv.

I doubt the box would record in hd even if it on a hd channel on a non hdtv.

Will get a look tomorrow when Im down, I'd say the deleted folder just needs emptied...

cactikid
16th September, 2012, 11:06 PM
was the hdd formatted before first use?recording in hd should still be in hd as it does not know what you have connected to box.

mrblue
17th September, 2012, 09:16 AM
Yep, hdd was formatted to fat32, then connected to solo, mounted as media/hdd,

mrblue
17th September, 2012, 09:17 AM
Whats the ratio for hd recording to an hour.

About 7-8gb an hour, would that be correct...

mrblue
17th September, 2012, 09:51 AM
My brother has now deleted all recordings, emptied trashcan. He then set a film to record but AGAIN, just before the film ended the hard drive said it was full.

DOUGALMCD
17th September, 2012, 10:26 AM
What shows in trashcan when you press button directly above play on remote? It should say 0 kb and show disk space at bottom. Assuming your using vix.

mrblue
19th September, 2012, 12:22 AM
29mb in trashcan, 140gb(94% disk space) available. Seems to be fine, dont know what error message he was getting but is going ok for me.

90 minute film took up 4095mb, that was recorded from sky movies on a vu solo but on a SD TV, is that hd file size or standard def file size...

I wonder if it matters if you record on Sky Movies HD or SD on a non hdtv..

cactikid
19th September, 2012, 08:49 PM
a hd movie takes up more space than a sd movie.

mrblue
20th September, 2012, 01:01 AM
I know that but if you record on sky movies hd on a tv that is not hd will it turn out hd size

RuberDuck
20th September, 2012, 01:20 AM
The recording takes place on the receiver not the TV so it will record the HD stream if your on a HD channel, regardless of whether your watching it on a SD TV or not