PDA

View Full Version : Help a newb...

Drifty
1st October, 2012, 02:01 AM
Heya's..

So I bought a second hand wii the other day and wanted to mod it... So far I'm doing OK I think...

I have HBC on it, BootMi installed. (not as boot2)

I have loaded some apps onto it and got a couple of games to run... (downloaded ISO's and used tool to dump onto USB key)

However I'm struggling to fully understand what/why/how it all works etc. I'd really like to know the in's and out's of it all to better understand what I'm doing.

Is there a "very" simple tut/guide to help someone understand it all ?

Cheers
:)

happy_highlander
1st October, 2012, 02:16 AM
Heya's..

So I bought a second hand wii the other day and wanted to mod it... So far I'm doing OK I think...

I have HBC on it, BootMi installed. (not as boot2)

I have loaded some apps onto it and got a couple of games to run... (downloaded ISO's and used tool to dump onto USB key)

However I'm struggling to fully understand what/why/how it all works etc. I'd really like to know the in's and out's of it all to better understand what I'm doing.

Is there a "very" simple tut/guide to help someone understand it all ?

Cheers

There is no tut on here that I can think off that explains what does what how it does it and why it does it. Tbh most people don't care about the hows and whys which is how they get into trouble if they don't follow instructions to the letter. Tell me what you want to know about specifically and I'll do my best to give you the answer you need. First off you have picked up that you don't have bootmii as boot 2, this isn't to important a long as you have priiloader installed configured correctly and stay away from darkcorp. You see boot 2 loads before the system so all software related bricks can be recovered with a working nand backup. Priiloader can recover from from bricks but if the brick is caused by a major system ios change (usually by the incorrect use of darkcorp or installing a theme) it is a fair bet priiloader will have become corrupt and won't load so you have lost the ability to recover. In a sense priiloader is very good at stopping system updates removing your softmod when the hacks are setup properly but is not great at brick recovery as reinstalling a nand backup with priiloader is a last resort as it can and often does go wrong even when following good instructions or with the relevant experience. Just shout up with the rest of your questions.

Drifty
1st October, 2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks!!

Ok, so the first bit that confuses me is WAD files... I've downloaded a couple of games and they're in WAD format.. So instead of loading them onto my USB key, I dump them into the SD card WAD folder and use my manager to install them. Then I get a icon on the wii desktop to load them. (some don't work)...

Is this the right way to do it ? I have other games I've dumped onto the USB key and they're working fine but WAD files I don't know exactly what to do with.

Cheers

happy_highlander
1st October, 2012, 09:30 AM
If you are downloading games as wads then they are homebrew games and compiled by a user not by nintendo and should be run through sneek or uneek for the best results but as they are made by users they don't always work anyway, while you are still learning stick to loading backups from either disc or usb. Sneek and uneek are very complicated to set up properly and require lots of things to work in unison, there is a simpler method called neek2o. Search the wii section and you will find my tutorial on it, this is easier than sneek or uneek but still not easy and us very picky about what hardware it works on and what it doesn't. Format and file structure are key to making these three options work and they can be very frustrating to set up and with the advances in cios in the last couple of years there is no great gain in using them over a usb loader, except for making tin tin work properly

Keithuk
1st October, 2012, 11:24 AM
Welcome to DK.

I'm got to tell you what I say to all new members and old that have problems with wads. Post a syCheck (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/wii/16/syscheck-v2-1-0-beta-17-2071/) report as instructed in that link so we can see which wads you have installed?

happy_highlander
1st October, 2012, 10:12 PM
Welcome to DK.

I'm got to tell you what I say to all new members and old that have problems with wads. Post a syCheck (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/wii/16/syscheck-v2-1-0-beta-17-2071/) report as instructed in that link so we can see which wads you have installed?
He doesn't have a problem with wads he is trying to run homebrew games from wad. He only wants to know what does what and why....

Drifty
7th October, 2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the explanation of what WAD's are.. Now I completely understand the difference.

So I have a WAD Manager installed and have installed a few through that with no problems. I have loaded some ISO's through WBFS manager without hassles.. I tried Fifa13 again and this time it worked. *weird*

So it seems I'm all up and running with what I need for the basics. (play pirated games)..

Thanks for your help and to other for their informative posts/threads.

Cheers