PDA

View Full Version : Noob help - R4-III Upgrade - Don't think it's working right :(

NeilF
14th February, 2009, 07:26 PM
I'm new to R4's.

The box has "R4-III Upgrade" on it. The card has the web address www.r4iiisdhc.com (http://www.r4iiisdhc.com/) on it.

I downloaded the 3.07 and 3.04 kernals on their website and both behave as follows:-
a) On starting up, instead of getting a GUI interface as I'd expect, I just get a list of roms (.NDS) files.
b) When selecting the moonshell NDS file, it appears to load - I'm not sure what I should get - but on the bottom window it mentions for a couple of seconds it has a problem finding the 'moonshl/' folder ('has it been renamed or deleted' it says in the warning text). However, I can navigate around and play mp3 etc...

I'm very confused because I was expecting at start up to see a GUI interface along these lines. Instead I just get a simple list of .NDS (rom) files:-
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee292/r4dsking/untitled.jpg

And I'm also confused why I get the warning about the 'moonshl' folder? I've tried everything I can (downloading many different kernals, putting the moonshl folder in different places etc) but cannot make any progress.

I'm very confused :(

note: The two kernals (3.04 & 3.07) appear quite different. And also give very different background when running moonshell. 3.07 appears to have japanese language in it too?

Jaffa
14th February, 2009, 08:05 PM
1st of all...don;t worry about Moonshell error as its common on a lot of R4 cards and doesnt do any harm...it still works.

As for the menu....I dont have R4 iii but I know it is basically the same for menus. Are there any themes in the _system folder, there should be a themes folder and inside that 12 different folders which will change at the start of each month. The problem may be that the folders are empty and you have to put your own themes in them or it may be turned off. When R4 is on try pressing Select button and it should ask if you want auot or manual themes, just press A button everytime to choose which theme you want.

If there are no themes it is probably just default like a dstt cart and just shows a list of games.

If you need themes, the you just need to type ndsthemes into google and its the 1st link.

btw...theres a new English 3.08 version in downloads section at link below.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/ds/21/r4-iii-v3-08-kernel-english-3-08-606/

NeilF
14th February, 2009, 08:40 PM
1st of all...don;t worry about Moonshell error as its common on a lot of R4 cards and doesnt do any harm...it still works.

As for the menu....I dont have R4 iii but I know it is basically the same for menus. Are there any themes in the _system folder, there should be a themes folder and inside that 12 different folders which will change at the start of each month. The problem may be that the folders are empty and you have to put your own themes in them or it may be turned off. When R4 is on try pressing Select button and it should ask if you want auot or manual themes, just press A button everytime to choose which theme you want.

If there are no themes it is probably just default like a dstt cart and just shows a list of games.

If you need themes, the you just need to type ndsthemes into google and its the 1st link.

btw...theres a new English 3.08 version in downloads section at link below.

Digital Kaos - Downloads - R4-III v3.08 kernel (English) 3.08 (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/ds/21/r4-iii-v3-08-kernel-english-3-08-606/)

1) as regards the link you've sent I can't use that as it is as it gives me a "menu?" error. I need "R4.dat" it seems.

2) As it stands I have a "_system_" folder with themes in it - I've taken from another kernal. Are these themes to show when it starts up? I certainly don't get anything nice and pretty like that! When I start up all I get is a list of files with columns of icon, name and size. (The top screen has R4, revolution for DS... and at the bottom the url to the company site.)

3) Pressing SELECT gives me a screen with DMA Mode - On, Softreset - Off, Cheat - Off. Select takes me back to my list of roms.

Jaffa
14th February, 2009, 08:57 PM
1) as regards the link you've sent I can't use that as it is as it gives me a "menu?" error. I need "R4.dat" it seems.

2) As it stands I have a "_system_" folder with themes in it - I've taken from another kernal. Are these themes to show when it starts up? I certainly don't get anything nice and pretty like that! When I start up all I get is a list of files with columns of icon, name and size. (The top screen has R4, revolution for DS... and at the bottom the url to the company site.)

3) Pressing SELECT gives me a screen with DMA Mode - On, Softreset - Off, Cheat - Off. Select takes me back to my list of roms.

That sounds like a dstt cart but you said it says R4 iii on the box. Has the cart got an R4 sicker on it, what colour is it ???

The file in the link in downloads section has an R4 iii.dat file in it.

NeilF
14th February, 2009, 09:04 PM
That sounds like a dstt cart but you said it says R4 iii on the box. Has the cart got an R4 sicker on it, what colour is it ???

The file in the link in downloads section has an R4 iii.dat file in it.
http://www.r4iiisdhc.com/pic/2.jpg
Box is as shown... and the black cart.

Jaffa
14th February, 2009, 09:08 PM
Ok...on the root of the micro sd card you should have.

2 folders and 3 files.

1st 2 are Folders and next 3 are files

_system_
Moonshl
_DS_MENU.DAT
_DS_MSHL.NDS
_R4__III.DAT

It must look like above, you can;t have any of the above in any folder, so if it came in an English folder they have to come out of it. Then you can put the .nds files (games) on the root of the card or create a new folder called Games and put them in there.

NeilF
14th February, 2009, 09:39 PM
Ok...on the root of the micro sd card you should have.

2 folders and 3 files.

1st 2 are Folders and next 3 are files

_system_
Moonshl
_DS_MENU.DAT
_DS_MSHL.NDS
_R4__III.DAT

It must look like above, you can;t have any of the above in any folder, so if it came in an English folder they have to come out of it. Then you can put the .nds files (games) on the root of the card or create a new folder called Games and put them in there.
That's basically what I have by bodging thnigs togethor - BUT the file HAS to be r4.dat.

Look at the two kernals they provide - R4 III SDHC - Revolution for DS-NDS,NDSL,CleanROM (http://www.r4iiisdhc.com/download-en.html)

See what's in each zip! (3.07 & 3.04).

The functionality says "- Support Skin DIY by setting background and font colors on Main Menu and Game Menu manually and automatically":-
R4 III SDHC - Revolution for DS-NDS,NDSL,CleanROM (http://www.r4iiisdhc.com/product-en.html)

Jaffa
14th February, 2009, 10:12 PM
3.04/3.07 looked totally different from 3.08.

I have looked around and still they are saying that 3.08 works. The site below is the same as your site but doesnt say sdhc on the box but it does support it. If you havent tried it yet then format the mem card and try again.

R4,R4DS-Revolution for DS-NDS,NDSL,CleanROM (http://www.r4dsl.net/index-en.asp)

Sorry m8 I am trying but really only guessing cos I have an original R4. They stopped makes them over a year ago and all the fakes came out which never really had the same support. Anything with R4 on it now is a fake but they still should work.

NeilF
14th February, 2009, 10:39 PM
3.04/3.07 looked totally different from 3.08.

I have looked around and still they are saying that 3.08 works. The site below is the same as your site but doesnt say sdhc on the box but it does support it. If you havent tried it yet then format the mem card and try again.

R4,R4DS-Revolution for DS-NDS,NDSL,CleanROM (http://www.r4dsl.net/index-en.asp)

Sorry m8 I am trying but really only guessing cos I have an original R4. They stopped makes them over a year ago and all the fakes came out which never really had the same support. Anything with R4 on it now is a fake but they still should work.
They don't offer an english version.

In my travels I've found an English version but as it stands it dont work as it doesn't have R4.DAT.

I believe I also tried renaming it and it gave me "ERROR" on starting...

:hmmmm:

I've email the people I bought it from who have page dedicated to it - http://www.memorybits.co.uk/r4... and I've email the contact address on the site the card lists.

Jaffa
14th February, 2009, 10:45 PM
They don't offer an english version.

In my travels I've found an English version but as it stands it dont work as it doesn't have R4.DAT.

I believe I also tried renaming it and it gave me "ERROR" on starting...

:hmmmm:

I've email the people I bought it from who have page dedicated to it - Memorybits.co.uk - R4 Guide (http://www.memorybits.co.uk/r4)... and I've email the contact address on the site the card lists.

They do have an English version, its the very top but it won;t matter anyway as its the same as the one I posted in downloads section which you tried.

NeilF
15th February, 2009, 12:32 AM
They do have an English version, its the very top but it won;t matter anyway as its the same as the one I posted in downloads section which you tried.
Strange... Doesn't show up in Firefox! Does in IE!

NeilF
15th February, 2009, 10:19 AM
So has anyone got any idea why this R4 isn't starting up straight into the normal themed GUI you seem to see on all R4s?

So here's what I get at start up...

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5014/img5047gb2.jpg

rossgumbrell
23rd February, 2009, 10:48 AM
Hi
Had to register as i saw you were having the same problem as me.
I got the same card as you (exactly the same) from memorybits.co.uk
Basically, the one they sell is a copy of a copy of an R4!!! Using the DSTT(?) GUI with a few minor mods to it.
You cant change skins, so forget that (yes, even though it says on the advertising/box), and you wont be able to get a GUI like the original R4 either (is a shame...).
But i have found the card to be working alright for most games, so at the end of the day it works..... just not as either one of us was hoping =(

NeilF
23rd February, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hi
Basically, the one they sell is a copy of a copy of an R4!!! Using the DSTT(?) GUI with a few minor mods to it.
You cant change skins, so forget that (yes, even though it says on the advertising/box), and you wont be able to get a GUI like the original R4 either (is a shame...).
But i have found the card to be working alright for most games, so at the end of the day it works..... just not as either one of us was hoping =(
Well, from what I can gather, it seems better than the standard one?
1) You get a list of roms straight away, rather than have to click for them.
2) The list of roms is on the bottom screen in a more readable format.

akuma007
7th March, 2009, 11:48 PM
so NeilF did you manage to get it working, because i'm having the same problem now

NeilF
8th March, 2009, 07:57 AM
so NeilF did you manage to get it working, because i'm having the same problem now

Yes, once I realised/accepted my bootup interface is different, no problem. ie: Instead of the three images/options you normally get, you instead just get a list of the roms on the unit.

I've not bothered with moonshell, so when my little one turns on his DS, he has a picture of him on the top, and then a list of his roms on the bottom (with no option for moonshell).

shropshireboy
10th March, 2009, 04:20 PM
Hi all, same problem with me. Finally got mine to work but dont know which version of which download I have settled on as it was a question of trying each one.

For the purpose of clarity and knowing this post will go on and on.

Can someone post the exact files and which downloads used here for all who follow. Thanks

NeilF
10th March, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hi all, same problem with me. Finally got mine to work but dont know which version of which download I have settled on as it was a question of trying each one.

For the purpose of clarity and knowing this post will go on and on.

Can someone post the exact files and which downloads used here for all who follow. Thanks
What's written exactly on the front of the card itself? Is there a URL?

shropshireboy
10th March, 2009, 06:49 PM
This is for the R4-III Upgrade Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS). Mine has a 4Gb card installed.

I have since downloaded the R4-III-SDHC V3.07 Kernal 2008-12-05 from Http://www.R4IIISDHC.com (http://www.r4iiisdhc.com/)

From the download, I installed the R4 directory and the r4.dat file both into the Root directory of the memory card. All games are then installed into the root directory also.

This is far from ideal as you cannot change skins etc but it does enable the system to work.

NeilF
10th March, 2009, 07:19 PM
This is for the R4-III Upgrade Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS). Mine has a 4Gb card installed.

I have since downloaded the R4-III-SDHC V3.07 Kernal 2008-12-05 from Http://www.R4IIISDHC.com (http://www.r4iiisdhc.com/)

From the download, I installed the R4 directory and the r4.dat file both into the Root directory of the memory card. All games are then installed into the root directory also.

This is far from ideal as you cannot change skins etc but it does enable the system to work.

This is the same as mine...

I've installed that same 3.07 kernal - http://www.r4iiisdhc.com/download/English_Version3.07.rar.

HOWEVER, I have not installed moonshell as I don't plan on using it. If you do then I'd suggest not using the one supplied with that kernal, and instead obtaining a better version of it. From me playing around it seems to be in japanese in places etc.

But it sound like you've done the same as me and just put the r4 directory, and r4.dat files on?

On startup I was expecting the typical three large icons, but was confused when just a list of roms appeared. I'm actually quite happy with that, as it's actually more friendly from that I can gather!

As for changing the appearance, on startup my top screen shows my little one a picture of himself - I've replaced the bgup.bmp image.

shropshireboy
10th March, 2009, 09:52 PM
The only problem now with what I have done to mine is that the loading of any games onto the consol is very slow compared to the other type of R4 SDHC card that I also have. Unless they update the driver files to enable them to work as they should I would not purchase one of these

NeilF
10th March, 2009, 09:59 PM
The only problem now with what I have done to mine is that the loading of any games onto the consol is very slow compared to the other type of R4 SDHC card that I also have. Unless they update the driver files to enable them to work as they should I would not purchase one of these
I've not experienced any other R4s...

When you saying loading a game onto the consol, do you mean:-
a) Dropping the NDS file via USB?
b) Actually selecting the rom to play on the DS?

a) I don't do very often so don't really care.
b) Not taken long enough to worry me or my nugget? Maybe 4 seconds or something? Never really noticed...

thao
14th March, 2009, 01:05 AM
hey, i'm new here. i just got my R4-III and i downloaded R4-III-SDHC v3.07 kernel (English). i extracted it into my micro SD and everything listed above. when i start my DS i get stuck at a loading screen and doesnt ever finish (i left it on for 10mins still nothing). am i suppose to delete moonshell? i have no clue what to do. i'm new at this. :[

NeilF
14th March, 2009, 09:18 AM
hey, i'm new here. i just got my R4-III and i downloaded R4-III-SDHC v3.07 kernel (English). i extracted it into my micro SD and everything listed above. when i start my DS i get stuck at a loading screen and doesnt ever finish (i left it on for 10mins still nothing). am i suppose to delete moonshell? i have no clue what to do. i'm new at this. :[

Sounds odd.

1) Does it have the URL of the site/kernal discussed above?
2) All you should need to put on the unit is R4.dat and the R4 folder.

Try formatting (quick is OK) the card again, dragging on just those two files, and maybe a couple of roms (.NDS files) and seeing what happens?

Strange...

clauzz
15th March, 2009, 01:56 PM

Sounds odd.

1) Does it have the URL of the site/kernal discussed above?
2) All you should need to put on the unit is R4.dat and the R4 folder.

Try formatting (quick is OK) the card again, dragging on just those two files, and maybe a couple of roms (.NDS files) and seeing what happens?

Strange...

I also have same problem... it takes very long time to load a game (.nds) and i got stuck at a loading screen, and it just freezed... i have no clue what to do... please kindly help.. thanks!

NeilF
15th March, 2009, 08:30 PM
I also have same problem... it takes very long time to load a game (.nds) and i got stuck at a loading screen, and it just freezed... i have no clue what to do... please kindly help.. thanks!

First time you load a rom it creates a sav file, which can take a while...

But I just tried one of my little ones' roms and it fired up, with the status bar showing the progress at the bottom, in about 7 seconds...

clauzz
15th March, 2009, 11:43 PM
First time you load a rom it creates a sav file, which can take a while...

But I just tried one of my little ones' roms and it fired up, with the status bar showing the progress at the bottom, in about 7 seconds...

thank u for the response.. =)
however.. mine one took forever to load.. and then it was frozen.. so I had to shut it down... and now i have no clue what to do.... any idea to solve the problem? ... kindly advise.... thanks

NeilF
16th March, 2009, 10:25 AM
thank u for the response.. =)
however.. mine one took forever to load.. and then it was frozen.. so I had to shut it down... and now i have no clue what to do.... any idea to solve the problem? ... kindly advise.... thanks
Try formatting it, putting on the R4.dat and folder again, and a different rom...

If problems continue I'd say you need to return it...

LilBoom
29th March, 2009, 03:00 AM
im having the exact same problem as this dude help please.

LilBoom
29th March, 2009, 03:14 AM
i have also noticed that metroid prime hunters wi-fi does not work with the R4 III upgrade SDHC and it is extremly difficult to customize the skins/themes and it does not have the same interface has the previous R4 version what do i do?

LilBoom
29th March, 2009, 03:34 AM
Hi
dude you have pretty much summed up everythings that happening to me right now.... so are you sure i can not even use the original R4 settings with custom themes that sucks yea i know that most games work but i still cant get wifi to work with metroid prime hunters but it does run smoothly in adventure mode.

NeilF
29th March, 2009, 01:41 PM
i have also noticed that metroid prime hunters wi-fi does not work with the R4 III upgrade SDHC and it is extremly difficult to customize the skins/themes and it does not have the same interface has the previous R4 version what do i do?
Not fussed about skins and such nonsense... I turn mine on, straight away get a nice list of ROMs, and choose one. Does exactly what I want...

LilBoom
29th March, 2009, 04:19 PM
Not fussed about skins and such nonsense... I turn mine on, straight away get a nice list of ROMs, and choose one. Does exactly what I want...
same me and you both seem to have the R4 copy its not like the original i don't know why they call it an SDHC upgrade if its more defective than the original but changing the upground.bmp does work i now have a nice boondocks top display and i assume you can change the down.bmp as well and you do have a list of roms and they work 100% lol do you bother with moonshell because you have to access the moonshell page if you want to play music.:driver:

ronnyyogiswara
6th April, 2009, 06:07 AM
THIS REALLY HELPS

ronnyyogiswara
6th April, 2009, 06:11 AM
how come i cant download files?????

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

gmb45
6th April, 2009, 06:13 AM
how come i cant download files?????

CAN ANYONE HELP ME? u have to wait about 15 mins after your first post m8 have a look round while u wait theres more to dk than just downloads

pbarkman
30th July, 2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks, Ill try this as soon as i got proper privilieges!

nds-III
31st July, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hi

nds-III
31st July, 2009, 11:35 AM
Version 3.08 is not for SDHC.

NDS not working properly is because of a [USA] game (Wario). Deleting it and the problem was solved.

Tasleus
4th November, 2009, 07:47 PM
Found the file named R4.dat

If you're being picky, then try looking up R4 English V1.09b

ghost915
22nd December, 2009, 01:16 AM
im having the same problem and nothing seems to work

smirnoff_rules
22nd December, 2009, 01:20 AM
where r u lot buyin this shit from ? genuine ones r only 16 quid with 2 gig cards from here and work first time http://www.r4cards.co.uk/

fiv5
12th March, 2010, 03:14 AM
oh cool!
i had the same problem

fudge31
12th March, 2010, 01:34 PM
where can i get the latest version of data for my r4 card from

Jess182008
15th September, 2011, 03:14 PM
Im pretty sure the reason mine wasn't working was because I didn't have the r4-iii.dat file lol

sweetnessjr
8th March, 2012, 09:59 PM
Is the r4.dat file needed? I cant find it in any of the kernels i have downloaded

yay
20th October, 2012, 08:57 PM
what kernel should i get for an r4 upgrade