PDA

View Full Version : I give in

Bulld0g
13th May, 2008, 08:47 PM
Ok i'm on the verge of throwing myself off the top of the ladder. I've had nothing but problems since i bought a motorised system. I cannot get any signal at all on any satellite.

The coax and f connectors which came with the kit were crap. I had to buy new cable and crimp on f connectors to get a good tight fit.but still i couldn't get a signal.The Latitude was set correctly on the motor.The angle was set correctly on the dish. Everything seemed ok until i tried moving the motor manually,then i realised there was something wrong with the motor.Anyway it turned out to be a faulty motor which was replaced today.

Back to square one. I bought some T&K brackets, made sure the pole was plumb, checked the angles and elevation as per manual. Checked the motor was working ( using USALS) Pointed the dish due south then pointed to Thor, and nothing.
All's i am getting is a message " No or bad signal" This is the same wherever i move the dish to.
The level is around 88% and the quality is always around 20-22%. Anyone any idea what i'm doing wrong.
BTW it's a Technomate 5400 ci+ usb with a 1m dish.

aftermath
13th May, 2008, 08:52 PM
Who set the dish up mate ?
Did someone use a sat finder ?
If all is lost mate just pay around ?100 to get someone set it up for you. might be your dish needs re positioned e.t.c

Devilfish
13th May, 2008, 09:04 PM
First of all, USALS is VERY hard to get spot on.

Set your motor to 0 degrees, you can do that from the motor setup page on the image. Make sure your elevation and motor angles are correct and tighten them up. Now go to BBC World on Thor. Although Thor is 0.8W, we'll treat it as 0 so when you're on Thor, your motor will be at 0.

If you don't have any channels programmed in yet, use the signal page to choose a transponder etc. for BBC World, you can get that information at kingofsat.net. Once you're looking at that frequency, and your motor and dish are tight, move the bracket on the pole left and right until you get a signal on your TV. I fannied about with a stupid beep sat meter for days until I bit the bullet and hung a portable tv out the kitchen window, that works wonders and you'll get there much quicker if you can see the picture coming on screen.

Once you hit the signal, tighten up the pole bracket making sure you still get a picture because it's bound to move slightly when you tighten it up. Then flex either side of the dish with your hand, bend it in or push it away, to see if the SNR increases. You might need to loosen the elevation on the dish and fine tune it to get the perfect signal. Above 90% SNR is good.

See how you get on with that. I know how you feel, I spent the best part of 3 weeks getting mine right and it's still not perfect lol.

thommo
13th May, 2008, 09:09 PM
call me a fool if you like but is you receiver set up? lon/lat in putted before you try to line the dish up? :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Devilfish
13th May, 2008, 09:10 PM
call me a fool if you like but is you receiver set up? lon/lat in putted before you try to line the dish up? :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

You're a fool! :roflmao: ;)

A valid point.

thommo
13th May, 2008, 09:11 PM
only mentioned because theres no mention of it in his post. :aetsch::smokin:

have a look here bulldog, have you done everything in here?
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=519

charlie senator
13th May, 2008, 09:27 PM
Bloody hell ,i've been thinking about getting a sat system but after reading Bulldogs post i'm not so sure now !!

thommo
13th May, 2008, 09:29 PM
teething troubles everyone has them, usually something simple. i wouldnt let it put you off.

Bulld0g
13th May, 2008, 10:41 PM

. Under motorized settings---Position settings it's set to 2.3W.53.4N I'm in Liverpool. Is that where you meant m8.

Bulld0g
13th May, 2008, 10:42 PM
. Under motorized settings---Position settings it's set to 2.3W.53.4N I'm in Liverpool. Is that where you meant m8.

By that i mean is that where the settings are, under Motorized ?

Bulld0g
13th May, 2008, 10:46 PM
teething troubles everyone has them, usually something simple. i wouldnt let it put you off.

Well i'm glad i'm not the only one having\had problems setting up.Although i feel like i am. The thing thats pi**ng me off is i keep getting the no signal message, so i feel like i'm a million miles away from sorting it out. I know i can get a pro in to sort it out but it's not the same is it ;)

Devilfish
13th May, 2008, 10:55 PM
Don't get someone in just yet, you'll feel so much better knowing you've done it yourself. Stick in there!

Here's a good video to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBErZGBb2Fo

thommo
13th May, 2008, 10:57 PM

By that i mean is that where the settings are, under Motorized ?

yep thats where i mean, are they correct where did you get them from? also dont rely 100% on your dish, tighten the motor bolts but leave the dish untightened, try move it up and down aswell as left and right, its not an exact science mine (dish) was out and needed to be moved up to hit the sat line,

Bulld0g
13th May, 2008, 11:10 PM
Got them from multi map.When you say yours was out where you getting anything at first ? I'm not getting anything at all.

thommo
13th May, 2008, 11:13 PM
nope if your not on it you get jack, hence i moved the dish upwards and it hit the sat.....

sounds to me your either not pointing at the right sat or your not pointing the dish high enough.

as said loosen the dish bolts and try by moving left and right and up and down till you get a pic then fine tune and tighten the lot up.

which long lat did you use off multimap? the ones in brackets or the others?

you need to use the ones in the brackets, the red ones below but obviously your own ones.

example and not my long/lat btw lol

Lat: 53:48:35N (53.8096)
Lon: 1:34:25W (-1.57371)

Bulld0g
13th May, 2008, 11:14 PM
Don't get someone in just yet, you'll feel so much better knowing you've done it yourself. Stick in there!

Here's a good video to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBErZGBb2Fo

Thanks m8. I have seen that before.Infact i watched it quite a few times before setting up. I dont want to give up (YET.) lol. Gonna have another go after work tomorrow.

Bulld0g
13th May, 2008, 11:31 PM
nope if your not on it you get jack, hence i moved the dish upwards and it hit the sat.....

sounds to me your either not pointing at the right sat or your pointing the dish high enough.

as said loosenthe dish bolts and try by moving left and right and up and down till you get a pic then fine tune and tighten the lot up.

which long lat did you use off multimap? the ones in brackets or the others?

you need to use the ones in the brackets, the red ones below but obviously your own ones.

example and not my long/lat btw lol

Lat: 53:48:35N (53.8096)
Lon: 1:34:25W (-1.57371)

These are the settings for my postcode from Multimap Lat: 53:30:02N (53.50048)
Lon: 2:52:36W (-2.87663)
No m8 i wasn't using the ones in brackets. So maybe i got some hope now lol. So now i set them to Long 2.9W Lat 53.5N Is that right m8.

Fergin
13th May, 2008, 11:51 PM
Don't give in m8,

I set my first motorised system up today, had installed everything at weekend ready for aligning today and was ready to give in as also could not get any signal, had wife watching TV whilst I hung of ladder, I too felt that I was going to have to fetch someone in, in the end what worked for me was I looked at the postion of my neighbours mini dish, told wife to set motor to 28.2 (Astra) after she had done that I roughly altered the position of dish to face the way my neighbours dish was pointing and nearly fell off the ladder when she shouted 'Emmerdale', moved back to 1W with motor and fine tuned signal managed to get about 85% quality, seems to be tracking other sats o.k to.

Cheers

Fergin

krazylegz
14th May, 2008, 11:27 AM
yeah bulldog them settings will work m8

zap
14th May, 2008, 10:01 PM
Bulldog, if you are getting a good signal strength and quality then sounds like you are pointing at a satellite but is it the one you think it is?
That is to say your channel listing being used may be for satellite 1 but you are actually pointing to satellite 2 may get this if the line up is not correct.
Start with Thor and are you getting anything on thor?

Curious123
14th May, 2008, 10:45 PM
The first time i set my dish up it took me nearly a fortnight to get a picture on the screen so i can totally sympathise with you when you say want to throw yourself off the ladder. I found the sat meter was a waste of time and in fact decent compass and a wife did the job. Make sure your dish is pointing truly to the South and than try moving the dish probably half an inch ata timeside to side or up down whilst the reciever is turned to Thor BBC World. I asked the wife to shout if the signal went up from 60% after that it was just a case of fine tuning till you got a picture.

Bulld0g
16th May, 2008, 09:54 PM
Well it's been a few more days now and after another 500 trips up and down the ladder i've got an arse Kylie would be proud of ;)

Today i finally manged to pick up a Satellite or Two.I pointed at Thor, again and used the sat finder to tune in, only thing was when i came back down the ladder and tried the Telly, there was nothing at all on Thor. I tried all the other other sats and found i had 2-3 channels on Nilesat 7.0 w and the same on Telecom 2d 8.0W
I then done a scan on each sat in turn and picked up lots of channels.
The trouble is these are the only Two sats i could get anything on. So the good news is (apart from having an arse like Kylie) i'm finally seeing some progress,but what now ? Do i go back to Thor and try and tune into a channel on there again. From what i've read if i get this Sat right the dish should follow the arc and the other sats should fall in line.Any pointers or suggestions guys :)

krazylegz
17th May, 2008, 06:12 AM
you mustn't have the dish alligned correctly at 1w (thor) m8, you must be assuming it is but it really isnt as it is not possible to get nilesat (7w) in the uk with a very very big dish...about a 4 metre lol

jloys
30th May, 2008, 07:45 PM
installing a motorised system is a bit tricky it took me a week to get the first one sorted now I do them in less than an hr. The first thing you have to check is that the pole you are mounting the motor on is dead straight ( use a spirit level ). Next use the scale on the motor to match your latude position. Lets take as an example this location 43N 5E.
Set your angle on the motor bracket to 43deg. Mount the dish to the motor and make sure that everything is in line and centered. With your motor on 0deg and dish mounted find a signal on the satellite closest to your location ( in our example Sirius 5E ). thats all !! your dish would be aligned. Be careful when tightening the nuts as you can loose the signal.

father ted
30th May, 2008, 07:56 PM
oooo looks like am gonna have fun when i get into this :roflmao:i mean yous guys are good so wot chance am i gonna have :roflmao: krazy your coming up to fix mine :roflmao:

jimbo69jones
30th May, 2008, 08:00 PM
Getting the pole 100% plumb is the the vital factor in any motorised install. Without it, your banging your head against the wall. It will all fall into place, once you have achieved that. It might be worth checking with a different level or inclinometer, as some are inaccurate to start with.

Curious123
30th May, 2008, 09:57 PM
Well it's been a few more days now and after another 500 trips up and down the ladder i've got an arse Kylie would be proud of ;)

Today i finally manged to pick up a Satellite or Two.I pointed at Thor, again and used the sat finder to tune in, only thing was when i came back down the ladder and tried the Telly, there was nothing at all on Thor. I tried all the other other sats and found i had 2-3 channels on Nilesat 7.0 w and the same on Telecom 2d 8.0W
I then done a scan on each sat in turn and picked up lots of channels.
The trouble is these are the only Two sats i could get anything on. So the good news is (apart from having an arse like Kylie) i'm finally seeing some progress,but what now ? Do i go back to Thor and try and tune into a channel on there again. From what i've read if i get this Sat right the dish should follow the arc and the other sats should fall in line.Any pointers or suggestions guys :)

Do a screenshot of any channel you are getting and post on here so people can help you identify exactly what you are getting channel/sat wise.

charlie senator
30th May, 2008, 11:55 PM
oooo looks like am gonna have fun when i get into this :roflmao:i mean yous guys are good so wot chance am i gonna have :roflmao: krazy your coming up to fix mine :roflmao:

I'm reading these posts with interest too Ted.It all sounds a bit complicated at the moment but i'm going to have a go when i come back from holiday.Trouble is i'm stuck on the first rung.Cant decide what box to get Technomate or dream.I fancy a HD one .The new dream is about ?350 and the technomate about ?275 ish but just don't know what system to go for

Curious123
31st May, 2008, 12:00 AM
It is no more complicated than it is setting up cable but it does require a lot of patience and perserverance the first time round after that it is peice of cake.

gazz10
31st May, 2008, 12:05 AM
Am in same boat i bought a cheap system (sl65 silvercrest) to mess about with as friend got, well all i know is top of range one with h/d and card sharing etc etc dm 7????, i think

i want a cheap but nice system i can grow with and gain knowledge, i dont want top end of market and get joe bloggs to install and am still none the wiser

Yes friend has said he will help me out, yip same old, same old every time i say yes lets do it he says get this box its just out, its got this,that,etc am sure there is loads of decent capable guys(and gals ) out there see where where the sat newbie is coming from .

charlie senator
31st May, 2008, 12:08 AM
I think the trouble is i haven't got a box to play with.I've read all Glens tuts and i think i understand them but all this ftp and Var folders stuff etc I think i need hands on experience

krazylegz
31st May, 2008, 12:17 AM
if you want to cardshare in the future charlie m8 go for the DM800 m8, the TM will be great if you dont intend on it but if that thought is in the back of your mind then get the DM, as it can do everything the TM can and more. might be a little more complicated to setup and get used to but well worth it, and if you've used dreamboxes or dboxes on cable your half way there m8;)

charlie senator
31st May, 2008, 12:32 AM
Ive joined a cs forum crazy and according to the posts i've read on there you can use both Technomate and dream for cs.I haven't used a dream for cable but i'm not too worried about setting one up Its just i still don't know enough about sat to know which way to go.Really all i want is football / discovery type channels and the normal bbc/itv stuff.Im not to bothered about having 3500 channels that i probably won't watch but then again never having had them i don't know but i'll keep reading all the posts until i've got a better idea
Edit
Sorry Bulldog for hijacking your thread mate

Curious123
31st May, 2008, 09:40 AM
Am in same boat i bought a cheap system (sl65 silvercrest) to mess about with as friend got, well all i know is top of range one with h/d and card sharing etc etc dm 7????, i think

i want a cheap but nice system i can grow with and gain knowledge, i dont want top end of market and get joe bloggs to install and am still none the wiser

Yes friend has said he will help me out, yip same old, same old every time I say yes lets do it he says get this box its just out, its got this,that,etc am sure there is loads of decent capable guys(and gals ) out there see where where the sat newbie is coming from .

No need to wait for your friend get a clone DM500S from China for about ?65 and 1m motorised dish probably about ?125 and stick it on pole in the garden saves you climbing up and down ladders whilst you are adjusting aligning the dish. I have my dish on top of a scaffolding pole at the bottom of the garden. When you have got it all working stick on top of the house.

krazylegz
31st May, 2008, 10:39 AM
Ive joined a cs forum crazy and according to the posts i've read on there you can use both Technomate and dream for cs.I haven't used a dream for cable but i'm not too worried about setting one up Its just i still don't know enough about sat to know which way to go.Really all i want is football / discovery type channels and the normal bbc/itv stuff.Im not to bothered about having 3500 channels that i probably won't watch but then again never having had them i don't know but i'll keep reading all the posts until i've got a better idea
Edit
Sorry Bulldog for hijacking your thread mate

the only TM that you can really use for cs is a 9100 charlie m8 as it's linux based and networked enabled, the rest arent linux and need a server running on pc/lappy which to me is a bit of a pain in the arse lol, so i'd say dreambox all the way charlie m8.

if you need any info or help just give me a shout m8

charlie senator
31st May, 2008, 03:20 PM
Ah i see now krazy .It was the 9100 i've seen people talking about using cs with
thanks mate