PDA

View Full Version : Cummins CAPS fuel system

mondao
8th October, 2012, 06:01 AM
I have an ISC engine with a CAPS fuel system and am having a hard start and smoke,will not start in the morning
since the weather turned cold.:(
My first idea was to calibrate the ecm, but the problem continues
any help is welcome, thanks in advance

hercamp
8th October, 2012, 06:51 AM
I found problem on the 2 electrovalves, one of them control start press and idle, the other high range...look for some internal damage ,and try to check if the exhaust present some oil leak or fuel, maybe your problem is on one Injector maybe o'ring ....and check the fuel press at cold crank.is there any fault active code?...

Maybe all that help you...

MEGAD3TH
8th October, 2012, 06:02 PM
Is there any FC ?? ICV valve are common problem on these and the Transient Suppressor diode to...

jctech
8th October, 2012, 06:11 PM
Check for wear in the drives between the cam housing and the gear pump module.
Wear in the drive will mean the timing at the distributor module is retarded, causing hard to start and smoke.
It will be even worse now the temperature starts to get colder.
The new drives are bigger and stronger (but require replacing the gear pump I think)

mondao
9th October, 2012, 05:19 AM
thanks for your answers, the engine starts, using some starting fluid
since start everything works fine, the tractor works all day, the problem exists only in the morning
calibration of the valve head was normal, injectors work well, Cutout Test Pumping Control Valve, Control Valve Click Test, no problem
fault code not present, I think everything is fine :hmmmm2:
maybe the pump is already tired from work, sorry my English
tomorrow I will remove the pump, thanks for your help

MEGAD3TH
9th October, 2012, 03:55 PM
maybe its a primming issue, is the fuel systeme primed properly?? is there any air in the fuel? is the restriction of the fuel filter is ok??

eric486
9th October, 2012, 03:56 PM
hook a fuel pressure guage up and check the fuel pressure on startup. Your fuel may be leaking back to the fuel tank causing it to not start up easily. Is your enging equipped with a lift pump? I've seen those go bad causing a no start issue.

mondao
14th October, 2012, 06:30 AM
Thanks for your help, this weekend we found the problem after working several days
found excessive wear in the drive coupling gear pump
* had to replace the drive gear and fuel pump Cam Housing
the problem was caused by the support of the fuel pump loose :)

IYA
8th January, 2013, 04:02 AM
Thanks for your help, this weekend we found the problem after working several days
found excessive wear in the drive coupling gear pump
* had to replace the drive gear and fuel pump Cam Housing
the problem was caused by the support of the fuel pump loose :)

Gear pump couplings wear all the time and cause hard to start with white smoke problems.
Dont think the loose cam housing was the cause.