PDA

View Full Version : Freesat from Sky-how does sky control your Channels.

backup
15th February, 2009, 10:04 PM
Dear All,
I have freesat From sky which came with ?75 Installation and 3 months of 4 Mixes of channels for 3 months. After that if you wish to keep free mixes you have to pay ?20/month. I cancelled my 4 mixes and kept only freesat channels after 4-5 months. before ringing and confirming the cancellation of my Package of Mixes I took off the Telephone cable from the back of my freesat Box. I thought that this way I can keep getting the channels . But after the due date of cancellation I lost all my paid channels and were left with freesat channels only(still 230 channels)
My question is how did I stop getting the channels even if my telephone line was not connected to the freesat box. The sattlite dish is also different then the one sky supplied as my reception of channels was too poor with the sky dish.
can anyone explain how sky controls the channel without the physical connection of the telephone line to the box. thanks a lot:hmmmm::hmmmm:

Takeshi
15th February, 2009, 10:12 PM
Heh, that's easy. They control your subscriber card with EMM - Entitlement Management Message. I'll try to explain how it works...

- your card has a serial number
- the EMM stream is transmitted via satellite and every subscriber receives it
- but, only the EMM corresponding to your subscription is sent to your card (the serial number comes into play here)

So what happened here is this:

- you canceled your subscription
- the cancel code was inserted into the EMM stream
- your card got the cancel command
- you have black screen

Simple?

Hope this helps.

backup
16th February, 2009, 09:28 AM
wow, thanks for explaining me so clearly .

thanks a lot

cactikid
18th February, 2009, 12:19 AM
blimey ya are not safe anywhere lol